Thread: First tune ? stock gen V

Tuner

First tune ? stock gen V

I'm beginning to tune with my 14 gmc sierra L83 genV. Hopefully simple question. On a completely stock engine is it necessary to log the MAF or can I just add a percent or two and watch my wideband? Same question for vve tables as far as logging in SD? I'll have to learn more about the torque tables to understand if those would do any good for me to tweak on a stock truck. Any info for beginning steps would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by MrFixIt86; 02-17-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Tuner
    After thinking about this i'm pretty sure I should leave MAF alone since its aiming for stoich, so I would want to go to PE EQtables to fatten up fuel right? And then maybe a degree or three of timing to start trying to make a little better power from stock tune?

Senior Tuner
    You'll find that the MAF and VVE tables are pretty close on a stock truck. You can command the PE to activate at a lower rpm and adjust the PE target for a much leaner WOT AF ratio. Be careful on the timing. These engines don't need much extra timing on pump gas. Add a degree at a time.
    You can increase the DD tables by a small percentage as well. There are some good performance gains to be had by adjusting shift points and shift characteristics as well.

Tuner
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll let u know how things go. Much appreciated

The MAF and VVE don't target stoich. The idea is to use those two side of the airflow model to make it run at stoich. If that means adding fuel or removing fuel from them to get you there.

The o2 sensors are there to watch what happens and will adjust the fueling needs based on what it see's in the exhaust. Logging the fuel trims will show you what they are doing and how you can adjust things. As well as your wideband, you can log data with that to make your changes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Is .85 a good eq ratio to aim for in PE on stock set up? Im trying to just learn lambda from the start, heck with afrs...

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt86 View Post
    Is .85 a good eq ratio to aim for in PE on stock set up? Im trying to just learn lambda from the start, heck with afrs...
    Yes, .85-.87 is a good range for the DI engines. I keep mine a little richer at peak torque and slightly leaner at peak hp.

Tuner
    Hell yeah, I can't thank you all enough for the advice. Has anybody figured out a way to be able to grab second gear in a burnout, my truck shuts down if u hit 2 in manual mode with stabilitrac and track cntrl off.

Wire is some sort of switch to the ABS/Stabilitrac/Steering system, to fully disable it.

Stabilitrac will come back on after 25-30mph even with the buttons set to turn it off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    I thought about the switch in line with a wheel speed sensor or sumn, like simulating a bad speed sensor and disabling the system. I want 2 gear burnouts though lol only one way to find out if it works I guess. Could just unplug the sensor for a rip and try it haha

Potential Tuner
    I think you are in the right direction PE EQ tables is a good start.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a switch to disable all that LOL

http://www.tuningbyshanehinds.com/20...itrak-disabler

Tuner
    Ha that is an awesome switch location! I like homebrewing so but i'll do something similar...

Potential Tuner
    I live in georgia, currently working in California
    I thought about the switch in line with a wheel speed sensor or sumn, like simulating a bad speed sensor and disabling the system. I want 2 gear burnouts though lol only one way to find out if it works I guess. Could just unplug the sensor for a rip and try it haha
    Im not sure exactly what changed, i have a 2017 Silverado with the l86 and it would never shift out of 1st during burnouts. The other night i tried one and it shifted to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th.. held on governor for about 10 seconds before i let off.. it was amazing

Tuner
    DUDE THATS WICKED! Lmao, I haven't done the wiring hack yet but id like to know what the heck u stumbled on? I always do burnouts in M1 never tried in D?
    14 GMC sierra 5.3

few years later, howd ya do on the tune? did you add it to te repository?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 383 View Post
    few years later, howd ya do on the tune? did you add it to te repository?
    Last Activity 02-19-2021

he hasnt been here since that date we'll never know

Advanced Tuner
    I retuned a 2014 5.3 truck over the weekend that came from another shop who "tuned" the maf. After maf and vve were both back to stock i was getting a very smooth reading on the wideband within 1-2% of commanded.