Thread: New to tuning, 2011 Caprice Cam swap need advice where to start.

Potential Tuner

New to tuning, 2011 Caprice Cam swap need advice where to start.

Recently bought my first LS based vehicle a 2011 Caprice, a week later i deleted DoD With a Texas speed stage 1 LS3 Cam. 225/236 .629"/615" 113 LSA. and Wideband is installed. So far i've Changed spark tables, base point idles, throttle followers, Shut DoD off, obviously running pretty lean right now. I guess i could use some guidance as to where to start going next for fueling. It drives pretty decent without dying/ surging. I Changed my Narrowband outputs a little higher so i wouldn't worry so much about leaning it out it was trying to command around 15-16AFR.

Keep in mind i'm very green to any tuning when it comes to modern day vehicles.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

There is no reason to change the narrowband settings like that. The commanded AFR will stay at stoich unless otherwise told to change. That being open loop EQ Ratio, power enrichment, cat over temp, a rear o2 sensor test or cat test itself.

I see that COT is disabled but you left the cat test enable in the engine diag tab, you should disable that.

If your commanded fueling is stoich, say 14.1 to 14.68 depending on fuel in the tank and the wideband is reading 15-16 AFR, you are correct in that it's lean. So you must add fuel to the airflow model to correct it.

Create a wideband error for the commanded AFR against the actual AFR. That error graph and the values in it will be applied to the airflow model. You can pick to do the MAF airflow vs freq curve first or the VVE tables under the EDIT tab. The MAF will be faster at first but both need to be done. The VCM scanner section should have a few sticky pages on how to set this up still.

Tuning with a wideband has to be done in open loop with the fuel trims and closed loop fuel control disabled. Along with the MAF's dynamic airflow settings set to something like 200/100rpm so it's running off the MAF.

Your OPEN LOOP EQ Ratio table needs to be re-worked so that it commanded stoich (1.00) at operating temp. Anywhere you see values less than 1.00 should be changed to 1.00 as coolant temp and intake valve temp rise.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks this clears thing out for me, i was having trouble understanding these steps. Now can fuel trims and closed loop be command through the VCM scanner or should i do it through the editor?
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's easy enough to just change a few settings in the calibration for open loop/no fuel trims. This way you don't have to go back into the scanner everytime to disable everything.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    So correct me if i'm wrong, If i set Closed loop enabled set at 284 ECT, and LTFT Min set at 284, that would disable them?

Yes. Also set the o2 readiness monitor to max temp too.

The MAF dynamic settings do 200 disable, 100 re-enable.

Tuner
    - set your idle
    - set your PE target
    - re-scale your MAF (by using MAF err histogram)
    - when your actual AFR matched your commanded AFR start adding some timing.