Thread: Hot start trouble LT1

Tuner in Training

Hot start trouble LT1

Hey guys,
    I have a 2018 Grandsport here with heads, cam, MSD manifold, etc.. def a steep learning curve to figure out. Many thanks to the folks on here that shared their experience with a LT newb

Anyway this car makes 533/476 on our dyno. Spent a lot of time on the VVE and MAF, LTFTs look great. Drive-ability is excellent. Cold starts nice, however once warmed up I have to dab the throttle to get it to start. Otherwise if I don't apply throttle it will just crank until the autostart runs out.

The attached log has a hotstart with throttle input, idle, shutoff and restart attempt without throttle.

Any suggestions on what to try greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Same issue here on my 17 GrandSport. I just finished installing my cam and started tuning. Cold start fine, need to dab the throttle hot otherwise it won't start. I changed base idle and startup N and rolling idle with no effect. I did not try yet to hot start at 1200 rpm though. It is probably timing/fueling/torque related

Since I'm just starting would you mind sharing tips or even better your tune with a fellow GS owner ?

Anyway curious to see the answer from the experts...

Keep adding grams of air in the base airflow under crank in the 176F and up columns.

I would start with 3 grams

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Tuner in Training
    Broken record but.... Put it in SD mode and tune the VVE with a wideband. Then put it in MAF only and tune MAF with wideband. I've shared the tune above, feel free to compare with a stock tune to see what has changed.

Also fee free to reach out with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sachs View Post
    Same issue here on my 17 GrandSport. I just finished installing my cam and started tuning. Cold start fine, need to dab the throttle hot otherwise it won't start. I changed base idle and startup N and rolling idle with no effect. I did not try yet to hot start at 1200 rpm though. It is probably timing/fueling/torque related

Since I'm just starting would you mind sharing tips or even better your tune with a fellow GS owner ?

Anyway curious to see the answer from the experts...

Advanced Tuner
    Try setting cranking ve to 80, but I would also say that the tune posted above probably doesn't have enough cranking airflow in the hot ranges.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by regorih View Post
    Keep adding grams of air in the base airflow under crank in the 176F and up columns.
    That worked like a champ, had to add a lot but just went in 3g/s at a time til it started up great.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by joshua@arcflashllc View Post
    Broken record but.... Put it in SD mode and tune the VVE with a wideband. Then put it in MAF only and tune MAF with wideband. I've shared the tune above, feel free to compare with a stock tune to see what has changed.

Also fee free to reach out with questions.
    Thanks. I tried again yesterday to make my LM2 Wideband work with HP tuners with no success despite trying all good grounding pratices. Voltage jumping all around the place. I bought an AEM 30-0334 known to work with HP tuners yesterday night.
    My current file is not stock as I tuned with ARH headers/MSD mani/AFE intake/Ported TB last year. I just used the narrow band for the MAF tuning and the LM2 Wideband for WOT but without datalogging, just looking at it live... Anyway this will help me a lot, along with goat rope garage tuturials, which are really good for beginners like me

Thanks

Edit / which cam do you have on this GS ?
    Last edited by Sachs; 02-20-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua@arcflashllc View Post
    That worked like a champ, had to add a lot but just went in 3g/s at a time til it started up great.

Thank you!
    Good to know !!! this will help me a lot as well !

Quote Originally Posted by Sachs View Post
    Good to know !!! this will help me a lot as well !
    Worked really good for me as well. I added 6g/s