Thread: Writing to vehicle

Tuner

Writing to vehicle

When you get ready to write the tune to the vehicle do you "write calibration" or "write complete"?

What is the difference?

Completely depending on the vehicle and what you are attempting to do with the write.

Some will require a write entire and others will require a write calibration only.

99% of the time it's going to be write calibration only. A full write is for very specific changes to the computers operating system.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...menu_write.htm

"Write Calibration Only" is the regular, safest and fastest way to rewrite the VCM. ALWAYS use "Write VCM" when making regular tuning changes.

The "Write Entire" and "Write VIN/Tunerlock/VATS" options are special features to be used by advanced users only

Most vehicles can take both write cal only and write entire. Write cal only is advised when available.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Thanks guys I was a little confused. I wrote calibration and it went by so fast I didn't think it was right so I wrote entire also. I hope I didn't f up anything.

Is there a setting to make the throttle more responsive? I saw something about peddle but didn't think it was where to do that.

I don't have a magic ball.

You never said what you are even trying to tune. I suggest posting in the proper section and including your tune file when you do. This way we know what vehicle it is.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Since this thread kind of matches my question I gotta ask... when i wrote calibration on a 14 sierra it went through its deal and said write done, but still had the write key outlined and the completion bar just stayed full... I hit close window instead of hitting the write a second time... then had communication w ecm/pcm codes. Was I supposed to hit the write button again?

I've noticed communication codes come up after a read as well as after a write. If you turned the key off for 30 seconds, then back on, all systems should be a go. Codes should be in history status at that point. I would worry more if I didn't get them as this tells me things were talking until I read/write. When you read a module, it takes it offline from the vehicle network. This could be CAN, LAN, LIN, or whatever comm protocol/interface the car uses. At least that is the way I understand it. When programming OE stuff, I get warnings in the dash and such, then car "reboots" when done. SPS says to turn off ignition for 30 sec to restart controller. So I use that as my rule of thumb. When done writing, my write button stays shaded but outlined. Window says complete so I click close. Haven't had a boo boo yet.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.