Thread: Greener than grass, patience por favor

Potential Tuner

Greener than grass, patience por favor

Hey gang, I have recently completed (minus the driveshaft) an LS1/T56 swap in a foxbody, and haven't the slightest clue on where to start with tuning this thing. I have been watching Goat Rope Garage and fumbling through it but some of his screens are different than the ones I see in the editor and get lost trying to follow along.

It has an unknown cam swap in it, however the tune that was in the computer when I bought the car allows it to cold start and idle pretty well in my opinion. I attached the current tune and recent idle log I made today and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a peek and let me know where to begin. Was hoping to try myself before I throw in the towel and pay for a tune.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT* currently working on getting my Wideband to work correctly.

First read.hpt

LOG21feb.hpl

Wideband and a driveshaft are a must. You're not logging enough stuff. Here is what I came up with for diag, minus the wideband. Deciding on the brand/features I want. This may be overkill in some spots for tuning, and once I get to logging and tuning I will probably weed some of it out. We're running the same PCM, so in theory the same PIDS should work.

Based on your log, bank 1 is overfueling. Did you remove the upstream and install the wideband in there? If so, you should force open loop, get the wideband set up, and start logging and tuning for idle, then get to driving and logging, and tuning.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Potential Tuner
    I knew they were a must lol, just wanted to try and dial in the idle while waiting on the D/S to show up. and for the life of me can't figure out why the wideband isnt working, worked fine on the donor car, but not on my car.

So since bank 1 is overfueling how do I correct it? I have both o2 sensors installed with the wideband just aft of bank 2 o2.

As far as I know, you have to average it out. There is no way to tune a single cylinder/bank with fuel injection or HP tuners, not that I have found anyway. Nothing short of going to a hillborn style(one carb per cylinder) lets you tune a single cylinder, or thats the best I can come up with for the moment.

I've watched goat rope, tuning school, some dude with combat helos on his youtube channel with tuning vids, and many more. Each one has missed things the other said to do/did do, and each seem to know what they're talking about.

Do you have your wideband before or after the cats? If after, move it to before. Setting it up in the scanner for data logging is the first thing you need to do, provided it works. What is it reading?

Goat rope has some good gen5 stuff, he TOUCHES on the gen 3 stuff like yours, there are other vids that deal with gen 3. The fact you can get it to idle is a good start.

The scanner setup should be anything fuel, air, or ignition. Anything torque related as well. The basic order of tuning that I have found is as such:
    Install wideband and get it set up.
    setup the scanner
    tune MAF or VE first, start at idle
    timing
    transmission
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.