Thread: Confused about "credits." Please help!

Potential Tuner

Confused about "credits." Please help!

The more I read, the less clear this all becomes! Some references I've googled say the MVPI2 ships with credits. Some say it doesn't. Some people have mentioned that it can take 10 credits ($500!!!) to tune your ECU/PCM...on top of the $300 for the unit itself, which sounds a bit high.

Here's the deal...I bought a 2003 (C5) Corvette with an LS3, heads, cam, etc. that was previously tuned via HP Tuners. I want to make a few changes (intake/MAF tube size, exhaust, higher octane fuel) and re-tune. I see the MVPI2 unit is $300. I was going to buy it so that I can tinker with the car's tune, but the credit thing scares me.

Question 1...
    How many credits do I need to purchase, in addition to the MVPI2, so that I can edit/download/tweak/save tune files for my 1 car?

Question 2...
    Do I need to buy credit(s) for every time I want to save changes to a file? Or is it a 1-time-purchase that fully unlocks my current vehicle by VIN, etc?

Could someone please help me figure this out?

I have googled and read all sorts of things about credits, but it's really not clear and/or there's a bit of contradicting info/old info still online coming up in searches.
    Last edited by PNW_C5Z; 02-22-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Credit information is on the HP Tuners website, so there should never be an confusion on how much stuff costs.

https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

A 2003 corvette is 2 credits for a single license. That is a one time fee and you never have to pay again for that vehicle. Save, edit, flash that file as many times as you want. A helpful tip is always save changes under a new file name, so you can protect yourself and to have a "stock" file to go back on.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Credit information is on the HP Tuners website, so there should never be an confusion on how much stuff costs.

https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

A 2003 corvette is 2 credits for a single license. That is a one time fee and you never have to pay again for that vehicle. Save, edit, flash that file as many times as you want. A helpful tip is always save changes under a new file name, so you can protect yourself and to have a "stock" file to go back on.
    Thank you much...I finally found that list. Being new to hand-held tuners, I didn't think to go to the "supported vehicle list" for pricing (I knew my vehicle was supported already)...and there isn't any reference to the "price list" being located on the "supported vehicle list" in any of the major advertising pages I saw.

I went ahead and purchased the HPT unit with 2 credits. Looking forward to playing!