Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 pilot issue

Tuner in Training

2005 pilot issue

For some reason no matter what I do I have high pilot timing , ive changed the adder tables around a few different ways to no avail . Id like some of the pros to take a look and see whats wrong , Thanks in advance! Also I have 250hp injectors and all the supporting mods to go with.
    Last edited by spooled05; 03-05-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Banned
    What are you trying to accomplish with pilot timing?

Tuner in Training
    I’m trying to target 15 btdc , in the logs it’s always 23-30 plus. I messed with the adder tables and it brought it down on the scanner , was at 47 deg before on the freeway .

Banned
    If I remember correctly set all pilot timing multiplier tables to 5

Tuner in Training
    Ok I’ll give that a try , I set them all to 1 thinking that would make it lower.

Banned
    No. Pilot timing tables on your model year is minimum wins so in order to get it to follow your air density table you want to have your so called correction tables set higher than your air density table you are running off of.

Banned
    When I get home I?ll whip up a tool you can use that will give you pilot timing set across the board at whatever degrees BTDC you want and post it up on here for you.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you , you’ve helped a lot on what I’ve gotten done so far !

Banned
    Not a problem buddy

Banned
    Getting started on the tool for setting pilot timing to a specific value. I?ll make it more advanced so it takes into account factors like minimum pilot to main distance, etc.

Banned
    I?ll have to pilot timing tool posted up this evening. It?s just about wrapped up. It?ll be full dynamic, you can change axis values on it and it?ll set your timing to what the ECM will push pilot timing up to if it gets too close to the main injection event. This tool is not for calculating what your pilot timing should be, it is only a means to set your pilot timing table to a specific degree BTDC.

Tuner in Training
    I set all the pilot multiplier tables to 5 and its now running off the base table , im comanding 18* pilot -4* main and its logging 33* pilot . The tune/log in my first post it was logging 23* pilot when its running off the coolant table the pilot is around 10* lower.
    Last edited by spooled05; 02-29-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Banned
    I?m not certain how HP Tuners is logging pilot timing, I think it?s adding something in there. With the pilot timing table I posted in another thread, that logged 15*BTDC on the Smarty Touch.

Banned
    It think they are adding in an offset, there is an offset parameter, can?t remember its value though.

Tuner in Training
    Yea , it’s got to be adding something because it follows none of my tables no matter what I do. I’ll try and find your tune and take a look . I wish more people that can log pilot with hp would tune in and give their results, seems there’s quite a few that can’t .

Banned
    Attachment 97030

It's nothing pretty but should do the job.

Banned
    Attachment 97033

Here's one for the 2010+ 6.7's if anyone is interested.

Banned
    Try this, your pilot timing is set to 15*BTDC and the "correction" tables ignored. I'm pretty sure HP Tuners VCM Scanner applies something like a +20* offset to what it reads on the pilot timing.
    Last edited by Jim P; 03-01-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Tuner in Training
    It says invalid attachment when I try to open the last one.

Banned
    Dunno what happened there with that. All I did in your tune was set the multiplier tables for pilot timing correction to 8, left the correction table timing values as stock, ran your tables through the excel tool and applied the result of your pilot timing to all pilot timing air density tables.