Thread: Genuine Cummins Water Pumps Only?

Banned

Genuine Cummins Water Pumps Only?

Really not tuning related at all. The age old argument of whether the genuine Cummins water pump is the only water pump one should use or if any old water pump is fine.

My old 2005, had about 460,000 miles on it by the time I crashed it and wrote it off, only changed the water pump 3 times for the some 370,000 miles I owned it. Never used a genuine Cummins water pump for replacement and never had any complaints to deliver on not using a genuine Cummins water pump.

Today had the what I?m assuming is the stock original water pump blow out on me on my 2012 at about 164,000 miles. I bought the truck used with 80,000 miles on it winter of 2018. There was an Autozone near by at the time, it was getting late in the day and didn?t feel like running around too long in the truck with a shot water pump so I bought $70 water pump they had there. Let?s see how long this Autozone pump lasts!
    Last edited by Jim P; 02-28-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ive had good luck with gates pumps , when I installed my built shortblock I went cummins brand so hopefully it will last quite awhile.

I went through 3 or 4 parts store pumps before I put a cummins pump in. But at that point I also completely flushed the cooling system so who knows what made it better.

Banned
    How long did those pumps last you Dom?

I had one fail in a couple thousand miles, the others were around 10k. That was a long time ago on my first 06 so I don't recall 100%. I had a bad run of power steering pumps in that thing too.

I have always wondered if most water pump failures are due to not replacing the coolant at the recommended intervals. I know the HOAT coolant should be changed every 60 months (or some unknown miles). The OAT coolant is every 150000miles or 10 years. I am sure the coolant has some lubricity that decreases over time.
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Banned
    Coolant doesn?t get into the bearing of the pump to provide lubrication though, by the time coolant hits the inside of the bearing it?s done. Impurity?s would certainly beat the hell out of the impeller suppose impurity?s would cause undo wear of the seal though.