Thread: Tune issue help

Tuner in Training

Tune issue help

There is a dip in my cammed silverado 5.3 when i put the truck in park/neutral and back into drive, it moves but then falls on its face and doesn't want to accelerate no matter how much gas i give it, then after letting off the gas it finally decides to drive like normal. idk what im missing help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RobGChevy07; 03-01-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Do you have any DTC codes when this occurs?

Tuner in Training
    No codes other then the brake and abs light that comes on because of the gear swap but, I've had those before the cam and tune and it didn't have that issue.

this log has absolutely no WOT pulls..

And if i were you, I would absolutely be logging retard while tuning.

The log is also missing some other info. Timing logging is a must. Your APP is registering, what is controlling the TB? Get a more detailed log. Wideband input?
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Tuner in Training
    No wide band yet that will come soon and this was a old log where the problem occurred it doesn't happen at WOT but, ill give a better log here soon.

Tuner in Training
    Ok i added another log hopefully that ones better i did a couple WOT logs.

Do you have a PID for throttle control source? Same as last log, the APP was reading high, TPS not following. Something is keeping the TB from opening. Does the dash display reduced engine power when this happens?
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Tuner in Training
    APP? this is the new log with the throttle control source, also there are no reduced engine power or engine lights.

APP is Accelerator Pedal Position. Since you have a drive by wire(DBW), there is no cable connecting the throttle pedal to the throttle body. I'll look at the log and see what I can see.
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily

Torque management is taking over the throttle body. I'm not an expert by any means. On all honesty, I am an amateur tuner at best. I am however a pretty good diagnostician by trade(I figure shit out on cars). When I saw torque was taking control of the TB, I looked at your torque management. Way too many fields are maxed out. Maxing out too much causes problems. I would go back to stock on alot of those and add 15% roughly, depends on cam and other mods, and tune up from there as needed.

I would probably stop the WOT pulls until you have a wideband up and running, logging and all. I am paranoid. No sense blowing shit up. Unless you want to.....lol.
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily

Tuner in Training
    You may not be expert but you were pretty close to finding out what happened, id say you know pretty well what your doing. i found the problem it was transmission > Torque Management > Abuse Mode, the guy that tuned my truck set the values under "Reduction Duration" to zero which after some research causes the problem i was having so i set it to .5-1 and now it drives like it should. Thanks for helping me out i couldn't have done it if you didn't suggest that PID.

That's funny, because if the actual torque reduction amount is set to zero, I would think the duration is a moot point. Guess not. That's good to know.

I have found myself using my HP tuners as a data logger to diagnose cars at work because it will log EVERYTHING in the powertrain, then I can review the log to see what is happening. Catch is, you have to have the PID there when you record the log.

Glad you got it sorted out. As they say, the devil is in the details.
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily