Thread: Knock...Why

Advanced Tuner

Knock...Why

SO to the point here.. i'm getting a lot of knock on my new setup and just would like some helpful information, I'm seeing up to 8-10 of knock retard on WOT pulls with the stock sensor turned up 50% around 1.8v. I've added better gas(100 oct) with minium help and it seems that it only happens between 5200-5800 rpm. The sensors are fairly tame and hang around 2.0-.80v but when i get to the 5200-5800 rpm it will blimp 4.0. it just goes from x.xV and blimps 4.0V and right back to normal when this happens it pulls a lot of timing and repeats in each gear around the same RPM. The amount is always different as it might pull 5 one time and 10 the next. I've added better gas checked the plugs and also scoped the bores with no noticeable detention noticed also AFR are around 11.8. The timing is set to around 6* on WOT so im thinking false knock but even with that said it would require such a large Voltage for the knock sensors they would basically be of no help and im not ok with that.. The car is not making its full potential power because of this, Can anyone give me suggestions to look at for a fix ???

No exhaust rattles, only thing i'm unsure is that the car sounds like it has a exhaust leak but im 1000% certain it doesn't, the noise seems to be coming from the cats and that's the best description i can give sorry .

6.4, whipple 10#, Demon Plus cam, Diamond pistons, Manley rods, ATI balancer 7% OD

I will attach a log when i'm available to do so.
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Tuner in Training
    Check that your cats aren?t clogged and choking motor.

Advanced Tuner
    When i had them of for the motor work i checked them and they all looked good as far as the honeycomb went noW i didn't try to push any air through them... sitting back and thinking now though i can remember that i had the same similar thing going on before i did the motor work and i tried several times to make sure the collector bolts were tight hummmm... might be cats ??? just hate to go catless because of how damn loud these things can be, already did mid muffler delete and that's about as loud as id like it to be..
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Senior Tuner
    They aren't clogged or boost would be high. Definitely could be rattling around and won't last with that cam and boost though I don't think. Clogged cats can lead to engine damage.

Even with factory exhaust they are very loud with that cam without cats though. High flows might be a bit quieter and would be much better than stock though