Thread: Adding Nitrous P01 2002 5.3

Tuner in Training

Adding Nitrous P01 2002 5.3

Ok so spring is here lol. Adding a 100 shot this spring, then going by 50's to a 200 shot. P01 PCM, Looking for advise on what to change... timing 2* per 50 shot, AFR spark advance correction table, PE EQ Ratio amounts through the rpm range, Throttle hot %, and any other adders to think about. Considering the shot to be right off the pedal at first then with 200 shot go to button when it hits 2nd gear and all the way through!!! Thanks for your help!

77 Camaro

Nitrous Express GM LS 3-Bolt Plate Nitrous Systems 20935-10
    2002 5.3 stock w/truck intake
    706 heads with springs
    Stock injectors
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    LS6 cam
    Shorty headers with high flow cats
    3400 stall behind built TH350
    410 gears
    26" Tire
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NaztyZ28; 03-03-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    any ideas guys?

I'm not really into spray, but it is essentially a chemical supercharger. Not an expert, but think with that big of a shot you need bigger injectors. More air, more fuel needed. If the injectors are good enough, rock on!. As for the tuning aspect, I am drawing a blank. Sounds like a nice ride though!
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Stock injectors will be fine. I would suggest something more than the Walbro 255 for a fuel pump, maybe the AEM 340. A better cam would be a huge help with that setup too. Something designed for an LS3 head will work great with spray due to the increased exhaust duration that many of them use. Get some good rubber under it and a NOS Mini and use that to ramp the spray in right off the hit in 1st gear. The 2? per 50 hp is a good starting point, provided you are realistic with what the engine actually wants at WOT while just on the motor. I normally see gen 3 stuff happiest around 22-23? on 91 octane fuel. It's not that they knock, but they just dont really make any more power past that. On the 100 shot I think pump fuel would be fine, but past that I would suggest going to a better fuel (100+ octane) to keep any hints of knock away to keep the pistons happy.

Good luck and have fun!

Tuner in Training
    Great thanks for the pointers guys, i was messing with the timing a little with out any power adders and yes around 22-24* was max, according to the scan anything past that was not gaining anything. tried up to 26-27* and actually lost power with no knock of course. I know of guys around here running boost which was what i had planed originally and they where having no issues with the 255 pump, so was thinking it would work for my NOS kit too??? Thinking the 150 shot will be enough for now. Evo8john, what is a NOS mini?? I will most likely keep the LS6 cam in the for now and try and work around it.

Tuner in Training
    Here are a view pics of the project back in 2017
    Attached Images Attached Images

The NOS Mini is a lower end progressive controller. It will work well for your setup and also has a built in window switch.

Tuner in Training
    i see, thanks