Thread: Power Pack 2 with knock and idle stumble

Power Pack 2 with knock and idle stumble

6mt 5.0 with FRPP2 intake and tune on 93 octane pump gas. catback exhaust, steeda poly engine mounts(soft ones) and upr catch can.

couple of questions about this tune. Have you guys that have logged it seen this much knock during heavy part throttle and then wot? it appears lowering throttle enrichment to something other than 90% would help as the part throttle knock seems to be tied with heavy load and then stoich. thoughts? arent these timing maps built around stoich, 100 degree air, though?

for part throttle im getting areas where the pedal position and throttle position are 40% out from each other. look at log 1 time stamp 1:26 on the first log. is this normal??

time stamp 3:55 on 1st log is a mid third gear pull with a few cylinders maxing out allowed KR. i have noticed it is not always the same cylinders each time which gives me some hope its not one cylinder always getting hot but #7 is more common than the rest it seams

time stamp 3:56 on the 2nd log also is a 3rd gear pull with traction control off.

idle stumble and me catching it with a bit of throttle is in log#2 at 2:31 time area. reminds me of a bad dashpot that lets the throttle close too much too soon.
    Im likely not logging the right channels to see what is needed, please adv what else should be logged to help show this hiccup if so.

any thing you see feel free to comment on, still learning the best channels to log and then the sample rates on them as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    It looks like with the gas you're using the car is happy @ 25-26 degrees on 93 octane. You might see 26-27 @ 7000+. Seems completely normal to me.

The fact that it's retarding 1-4 degrees tells me the tune is a little on the aggressive side for your setup/fuel, no?
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

a 2nd opinion on the timing appearing normal is appreciated. i was more worried it should have been a few degrees more or at the very least the KR should have been less active.
    Hard not hear guys toss out theirs running 29-30 degrees on 93 and then when you log your actual, its a decent bit lower!

Agreed, logs seem to support ford performance did go a bit aggressive, and googling seems to support that thought too.
    Going to try few different gas stations and see what it likes best. Then e85. starting to see a trend that #7 ends up with a bit of KR more than the others during heavy PT, have you used the cylinder to cylinder offset to trim out such events?

side note:
    the idle stumble when returning to idle seems to be clearing up as the maf curve is getting dialed in.
    Last edited by Grim5.0; 03-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah man don't sweat it. I've seen as high as 28 at 7000+ (KR capped) in cold weather using the same gas station but the norm was 26ish while N/A. I have a 2014 supercharged with VERY conservative timing so I don't bother with cyl to cyl but I'd like to hear from others if they have trimmed this out to maximize timing on any vehicle setup.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

i topped off at half a tank with a high volume QT down the street and flipped the octane adjust switch in the procal software.

now im hitting MBT across the entire pull.

the cyl 7 retard isnt as present anymore. I plan to try out the cylinder trimming if i can pin point one that would benefit. stock its zeroed out, not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files