Thread: OS compatibility on e38/t43

OS compatibility on e38/t43

Looking for some advice. Can i make the following swap(s) of OS for the e38 and/or T43 without bricking it? Or do i need to perform a segment swap; and if so which segments?

my original: 14 Caprice PPV, am using the attached cal, but am getting these attached logs as well.
    e38 - 12656930
    t43 - 24267577

desired new:
    e38 - 12647991 (12 c6 corvette)
    t43 - 24264923 (14 camaro 6L80)
    or
    t43 - 24267577 (from a 16 Holden Commodore, apparently has some changes to the cal, but the OS is the same)

reason for this is that i am using a c6 APP with the Caprice ECU and trans. I am getting some weird REP with no DTCs when i stab the throttle in park and warm. The best answer i have been able to come up with is that the c6 APP is acting 'weird' at higher throttle positions and causing the ECU to go into REP. I have had codes in the past, but as of recently i am getting none. P2135, P0222, P0690, P2101, etc. to name a few. Course i have changed the TB itself to new and also known good ones with no change to the situation. I think what is happening is that the ECU is expecting to see X volts/% APP but is getting Y volts instead....or a disagreement between APP1 and APP2.

Thank you for the help.

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Using HPT & 'write entire' will not work for changing between OS's that have incompatible ETC sections. Must use GM MDI or Tech2. If you've changed OS on this ECM previously, thinking a write entire is a substitute for the dealer-type tools, this is a cause of a lot of your issues.

blindsquirrel,

i have not changed the OS yet, nor in the past. I have only changed the stock OS to the 2bar OS which is available for the 12656930, then failed the MAF, and proceded with VE tuning open loop, etc.

As i understand it, these two OS's for are compatible for the e38, but that is based on the chart from EFILive in 2014. As such, i do not know what that means....can a write entire be done, or a segment swap?

If the Service Number is compatible with the OS you want to use, you will have to flash it the first time using dealer-equivalent tools, MDI or Tech2. See: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post546396

ok, so my best bet then is to:

1) reprogram my ECU with the OS i want, or buy a ECU with those already on it
    2) make the original Caprice pedal work

What does either of these mean though with the T43? does that too need to be programmed as well?
    Last edited by rcodea1; 03-07-2020 at 06:05 PM.

If it's a major pain to find someone able to reprogram what you already have it might be easier to buy a replacement, lots of places offer 'programmed to your VIN' bench flashing with used ECMs. Just provide a '12 Corvette A6 (or whatever) VIN number.

Either replace or reprogram will require relicensing. No clue on mixing Caprice TCM with Corvette ECM. GM reprogramming is done one module at a time, not combined together like HPT.

copy blindsquirrel, i'll try to trackdown someone locally who can do it. thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, what's the service number on your current ECM?

Yeah, looks like that SN should be fine with the Vette OS.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...n-control-scat

12633238 ECM 1 PCM 6.0 & 7.0 LITER, 6.2L W/O SUPERCHARGED

And cheap, too. Holy crap.