Thread: 2012 Vortech hitting engine speed limit on downshift to WOT and a few oddities

2012 Vortech hitting engine speed limit on downshift to WOT and a few oddities

Hi folks,

Been on here a bunch still a novice but got the car running fairly well however i am hitting a few hiccups. First off i keep getting some tip-in knock correction now i noticed in my log i have two lean spots on my MAF cal so it may just be as simple as that. Secondly the car has a hang as tho it were driving with cruise control enabled and during low speed operation it revs up which according to the log looks as though it is getting stuck in target N, I have lowered the initial spark in mp0 as well as the decel spark tables per recommendations on the forums and implemented real dashpot settings (torque based decel is active however it still shows dashpot as a source) but it seems to still like to keep going.

One of my main issues tho is from a roll if i dig in on the throttle it downshifts and hits engine speed limit which if you view the log you can see it goes from 3rd down to 1st and RPMs go straight to 8k+, now the question is would this be a problem with too much slip and too little pressure on the downshift causing the engine to freespin essentially? First auto car i have had so feeling my way through these little issues.

Some details on the car she's a 2012 mustang GT boss IM ID1000 injectors vortech v3 with beefcake torque booster running a 3.33 pulley JMS fuel max (boost a pump) kooks long tube headers to catless kooks X pipe SR axle backs 1 pc driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft and a circle d 3c 3600 stall converter.

Would love some input!

20-03-08 16-56-59.hpl2012 gt v3 NO E85 maf cal 11 LTFT disabled transient and spark tables.hpt

Just an observation but when it does the rev hang and gets stuck in Target N the spark source is showing that it is in torque control so do i need to work the spark tables a bit more at idle levels or is it a torque/inverse issue and the pcm is trying to hit numbers it can't? Any ideas on the full pedal rpm jump?

Advanced Tuner
    I looked at your file earlier today. Change ETC Idle Throttle Angle back to stock. This table should only need changed when swapping throttle body.
    Your spark decel is too advanced so instead of engine braking (using the motor to slow down) the advanced timing will hold rpm. Rescale the rpm to 750, 1000, 1500, 3000, 4500.
    Change the 750 column's cells to 17*, 1000 to 10*, 1500 to 10*, 3000 to 15*, 4500 to 15*.

Are you driving in normal "D" mode? You need to go over your shift maps. The scaling looks weird and you have some mph off from gear to gear. Your cars shifting into first at 52mph.
    Make sure you gear ratio, n/v ratio and tire size are correct and disable the vid block.

Dont have my laptop at the moment for more improvements.

I only have D available to me no select or sport shift as it's a 2012 i don't think they had that option til the 13s and up but i may be wrong first auto car i have ever owned let alone tuned :P. The ratio n/v and tire size should be correct i used the calculator link from the miata site thats floating around on here as well as the math explained in the cookbook. Shift schedule i am literally just feeling my way through any advise as a good baseline to start with for upshift/downshift scheduling and torque converter apply/release? Clearly i havent wrapped my head around it yet lol.

I will try the idle and spark decel settings you recommended i used your cam and distance advice in one of your other posts and they have been working GREAT thank you for all you do and all the help you provide!

Idle and spark decel settings did improve things on that front still hangs a bit but it is far more tolerable. Just need to figure out the trans bits.

Thanks for your help!

Advanced Tuner
    What RPM are you trying to shift at?
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Shooting for 7500 rpm I have it commanding the shift at 7200 to compensate for the high stall but I am thinking with the 3:73 gears the roush shift points are exceeding that.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    Shooting for 7500 rpm I have it commanding the shift at 7200 to compensate for the high stall but I am thinking with the 3:73 gears the roush shift points are exceeding that.
    I'm not seeing that in the tune you posted. Also in the log it's never commanding 2nd gear. If you're going to run ANTIC shifts off you need to adjust everything a lot lower. I suggest turning that option back on. Also I suggest lowering your line pressure as 400psi is just asking for trouble. 250 max I would say.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Sorry the change was in my updated tune not the original forgot I had updated that. The 400 PSI was what was In there from previous owner that had a tune from AED I think it was so I never bothered to change it I’ll drop it down. I’ll give it a try with anticipated shifts on and see how that goes thanks for the feedback.

Just as a follow-up this has been working well so far!

Tune-15.1.hpt