Thread: 2004 tahoe with 5.3(vin z) need help

Tuner in Training

2004 tahoe with 5.3(vin z) need help

I have an 04 Tahoe with the 5.3. It's completely stock. I will be deleting the cats. I'm adding a CAI soon and would like to know if any advantages can be seen with a mild street tune. I'm adding dual exhaust as well. LS tuning is new to me. MPG is important as well. Anyone have a tune or can give tuning tips.

Tuner in Training
    Any advice?

There are a ton of good write-ups for tuning those. Go check out Goat Rope Garage on YouTube for starters.

Also, don't waste your money on a cold air intake. Get an AirAide intake pipe that goes from the stock maf to the TB instead, and they are only like $160. The stock air box works very well. I used a 2" hole saw and added 2 or 3 holes to the bottom of the box so it could draw more air from outside the bay. My intake air temps are never more than 3? or 4? over ambient with this setup, and it gives you a nice sound too under hard acceleration.

You will want to get a wide band o2 sensor as well for power tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a drop in spectre right now. I can get the spectre cold air intake for around $160 but is it worth it? My main concern right now is deleting the downstream o2 sensor but interested in increasing airflow.

You can disable the rear o2 sensor codes in HP Tuners very easily. I wouldn't waste your time messing with the Spectre intake, just get the AirAide tube and utilize the factory box your drop in filter. That all being said, a set of longtube headers will be the best thing you can do for your truck as far as simple bolt-on mods go.

Also, as a side note, deleting the cats on my truck made it sound like crap. I had a nice Magnaflow muffler on it and once I deleted the cats it started to get this weird resonance at certain RPM ranges. I ended up adding another muffler to knock some of that sound down. Just something to be aware of.

Make sure to leave the rear O2 sensors installed as it will go into a continuous rich/lean sensor check if they are not there. You can leave them in the pipe or just zip-tie them to the frame. Does not matter.

Tuner in Training
    Good evening everyone. I'm about to delete the rear o2 sensor codes p0420 and p0430. I read somewhere about disabling the COT(cat over temp) and maxing out the temp. Would I benefit from disabling this?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, you will want to disable COT if you are removing the cats and rear o2's. You will also want to delete any codes related to the rear o2 sensors listed as (bank 1 sensor 2) and (bank 2 sensor 2)

Tuner in Training
    I also read something about maxing out the temp when disabling the COT. What about that?

Tuner in Training
    You can if you want, but you shouldn't need to with the master enable/disable set to disable.

Tuner in Training
    thanks