Thread: LD9 People inside!

Tuner in Training

LD9 People inside!

Just wondering how many people here are using HPT to tune they're LD9 Jbodies?

for those people that are not boosted, what are you running for timing @ WOT? seems the one i'm working on doesnt like too much timing anyways, have it set for a straight 20* running 94 ethonal blended fuel.
    2000 Chevy Cavalier (being completed)
    1987 Dodge D150 Turbocharged Slantsix EFI!

Tuner
    I'm using it to tune an LD9, but it definitely is NOT in a J-body.

N-body for the win.
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

Tuner in Training
    lol, ok so i guess just LD9 in general doesnt have to be make specific...

so lets see some timing!

Tuner
    I'm seeing 28-30 degrees advance at WOT running regular grade Petro Can, rarely see a blip of KR. Is that engine NA Justin, cause that seems low, even stock is more than that by a fair bit.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB
    I'm seeing 28-30 degrees advance at WOT running regular grade Petro Can, rarely see a blip of KR. Is that engine NA Justin, cause that seems low, even stock is more than that by a fair bit.
    yeah its semi-stock, runs pig ritch and hates timing. i have the knock sensor on the side of the head on this car though so i have a feeling i'm seeing alot of false KR but when i jack up the timing i HEAR the pinging...

no wideband yet so i'm really only "fucking around in the dark" so to speak with this car. Ah well its comming apart in winter yet again (even though i just put it together 2 weeks ago, at the end of the month its comming apart..) GO WINTER!

btw, have pretty much stock VE tables, brought down the PE RPM abit and its running 94 octane mohawk gas.

Tuner
    If it's real rich it could be the cause of the KR, same as if it was too lean. Get your hands on a WB O2, if you have the bung in already we could talk.

Tuner in Training
    I got a WB o2 sensor (NGK), going to throw it where the secondary o2 goes and then have alittle fun with it, BLOW OR GO thats my motto lmao!

I have a feeling it could be fuel knock also, but we'll see.

Potential Tuner
    I have done very little tuning with HPT so far. I have messed around with the injector size to get the car to run NA with 30 lb injectors. I have to weld in EGT and WB sensors before I can tune with boost

Tuner in Training
    i played with it alittle more, leaned the VE tables right out, you could punch it on the hwy, and the car would rev up but wouldnt gain any speed, no knock at all though! ritchen the car back up alittle at a time to where the engine starts to pull and it starts knocking like a dirty flaming little you know what again! meh its all good i dont care too much anymore, have other things to play with

Tuner
    I'm at 20° by 5k at 7psi with major chamber work to the head.
    My NA engine is only running 26° at WOT above 5k.

sidenote - I really wish people would stop referring to knock sensor readings to verify correct timing. It is possible to really hurt power by timing to the point of knock because alot of the time peak power and spark knock are many °'s apart. Also, its possible to advance timing past the point of knock to keep it from knocking, which also yields far less power.
    Last edited by mpprotomec; 11-22-2006 at 08:59 AM.