Thread: 2004 F150 5.4 W Hot Rod cams HELP!!! :)

Tuner in Training

2004 F150 5.4 W Hot Rod cams HELP!!! :)

Hello all , I am new to the electronic tuning thing but not new at all to cars and mechanical tuning. I just put together an 04 5.4 3V and installed the Hot Rod cams . I got the HP tuners stuff and I got it idling and have done quite a bit of reading and used some mustang tips here and there with some decent results as far as throttle response and power down low . This thing however is a mighty turd and just isnt pulling like even a stock one would. I have no doubt there is a ton of things that need changing that I havnt changed. Just looking for some guidance or even a working tune file that I can look at to learn . I did this truck mostly to learn how to tune them and have learned alot so far , but the curve is steep and Im old....
    ANy help is much apreciated.

Kyle

Advanced Tuner
    a cam is supposed to reduce power down low and move it higher up in the rpm band so what your experiencing is perfectly normal
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Tuner in Training
    Ahhhh no , a cam will not always just move the band higher depending on the cam and a ton of other things . However , as I said before , this thing is pulling pretty good down low and the response is great , it runs out of steam as you gain RPM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post a copy of your tune. HPT is missing a ton of parameters on these so I won't be the greatest of help but I'll try.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks , lets see if this works....Keep in mind I have played with this thing a bunch and thats what is in the truck as of right now. I have about 3 other variants of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval77 View Post
    Thanks , lets see if this works....Keep in mind I have played with this thing a bunch and thats what is in the truck as of right now. I have about 3 other variants of it.
    Can you list everything you've done to the engine/truck? Does it still have VCT, CATS, etc? Did you install limiters?

Advanced Tuner
    Use the compare to see the changes I made. It will help a little. I don't know if you disabled anything like cats or VCT so file is not adjusted for that.

You need to work on your MAF more though.

When logging the MAF lock baro in, remove O2 bias, disable MAF adaptation, and Cylair Anticipation. Leave Cylair WOT Multiplier and Cylair Max Multiplier at 1.99 until you get your LWFMAF tables dialed in. Use a wideband.

MAF Transfer.PNGMAF adjustments.PNGBaro.PNGO2 Sensor Bias.PNGBlue_04_150_8200_IDLEMOD with edits.hpt
    Last edited by momotunes; 03-14-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey thanks a ton , Let me give it a shot. I have not disabled anything on it. It has headers and mild porting with the hot rod cams..Its a long learning curve but I am looking at other files and trying to make sense of what they have done so that I can apply it . Using this truck as the guinnea pig to learn some things.
    THanks again

Tuner in Training
    Nope , wont open it its saying that you version of software is unsupported ?? I have ver 4.4.4 just bought this about a week ago..Thinking maybe you are running the beta , downloading that
    Last edited by blueoval77; 03-14-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey thanks a ton , Let me give it a shot. I have not disabled anything on it. It has headers and mild porting with the hot rod cams..Its a long learning curve but I am looking at other files and trying to make sense of what they have done so that I can apply it . Using this truck as the guinnea pig to learn some things.
    THanks again
    Does it still have catalytic converters on it? If it does adjust for that but didn't know you had long tubes so copy this file instead. Also, I forgot to adjust your VCT so look at that too on this fileBlue_04_150_8200_IDLEMOD with editsnew.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Nope , wont open it its saying that you version of software is unsupported ?? I have ver 4.4.4 just bought this about a week ago..Thinking maybe you are running the beta , downloading that
    Yes, I'm using beta. Once you download it will open fine. Use the second file though.

Tuner in Training
    It actually helped out quite a bit. I am using shorties and the cats are still present. I am still fighting some idle surge as was probably evident with all of my idle area changes . I have to go through the differences in yours and mine and try to learn why the changes did what they did now... They do this in engineer speak not mechanic speak.... Its like learning a different language.

Tuner in Training
    I did a log file on this thing earlier today with some WOT and cruising in it and it looks pretty strange to me . For starters the commanded throttle % is not equal to the throttle position (SAE) . I am attaching the log file if someone has time to take a glance at it I would be appreciative .
    THis thing still seems lean to me....
    Attached Files Attached Files