Thread: Small cam but still surging while in gear idle and pushing on brakes

Potential Tuner

Small cam but still surging while in gear idle and pushing on brakes

Hi all,

Ive got a 6.0 L98 / 6l80e combo with E38 /T43 ecms.

Its in a landrover so just has a small cam - VCM532 - 215/223 - .583/.583 @112.

When I first got it back from the tuner, it really was pushing on the brakes and surging at idle in gear, like its pulsing forward, which when its cold make it hard to stop.

I've had the tuner have another look at it, and they lowered the idle down to 680 (from 720), which helped a bit. But the main issue is that it pulses forward when in gear at idle, so that makes coming to a stop annoying cause the brakes can't smoothly bring it down to a stop.

The timing looks to jump around a bit more than I would have thought necessary, but just not sure what things to try to stop it surging?
    Also, Not sure if the way its setup is making less vacuum than it otherwise could with this size cam.

I've attached the tune and a quick scan file below, and would appreciate any help.
    Thanks in advance!!

perentie - retune.hpt
    newtunetest.hpl
    Last edited by racingline; 03-12-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Tuner in Training
    looks like the idle portion of the ve table has a pretty sharp angle which isn't helping. Try smoothing in those transitions and see if that improves it

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zultan View Post
    looks like the idle portion of the ve table has a pretty sharp angle which isn't helping. Try smoothing in those transitions and see if that improves it
    Thanks, I'm no expert in this, so I can't really see what you mean. Can you send me a screenshot showing the issue area?

Advanced Tuner
    try turn off garage shift TM.

halve the spark idle corrections in gear.

215/223 should be able to idle at 650. try setting idle and spark to get it at 650 P/N and 630 in gear with a bit more spark