Thread: Trans and PTU settings

Tuner

Trans and PTU settings

Can anyone explain the trans settings for me? Ive done some research and I usually find stuff for the SHO's, but Im not sure exactly what to change and by how much to make the trans firmer. I dont want crazy hard but just a little extra. I think I understand how to change to shift points but for now Im leaving them alone. Ive got a 2017 escape 2.0 ecoboost.

I also want to see if anyone has played with the AWD PTU settings. It seems to very power from the front wheels to the rear A LOT! I'd like to see if it would only transfer power when Im really getting on it and not during normal driving to save some gas and maybe extend the life of the PTU.

Tuner in Training
    I have put some time into making our '17 Escape SE 2.0L shift better. I have not touched PTU settings. I didn't go crazy making it thump when it shifts, but it is much crisper than stock.....and the wife is accepting of the way it drives. LOL. I am not really sure I could put it into a tutorial style reply, but essentially I referenced some stuff in the SHO Tuning guide from this board and some things from my own experience and trial and error. Adaptive slip times is a good part of it, torque truncation and torque reduction settings make a nice difference and I played with main pressure slopes and TV slopes. I have spent at least as much time with trans tuning or even more than the engine side.

Tuner
    Do you have any examples? I'm really looking for how much is ok, like just increasing them by 5 or 10%. I'm just worried about hurting the trans by making things slip too much. Should I increase things the same? Like 5% more line pressure with 5% less fill time?

Tuner in Training
    Last edited by Chris_LT; 03-25-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Try the settings pictured and see what you think. Let me know, curious how you will like it.

Tuner in Training
    20200325_135420.jpg

Converter clutch settings

Tuner
    Great, thank you. I will try it today on the way into work.

Tuner in Training
    Cool, let me know what you think
    I did make minor adjustments to shift schedule and converter schedule, I think they shift too late at WOT. 2nd to 3rd shift was always late compared to other gears and I found some weird stuff around 3rd/4th shift point with the TCC. Low throttle shift into 6th is also too low causing it to lug and generate a resonance in the driveline. I think it was going in about 43mph or so (70kph) and I have bumped that to 50ish mph, much better.
    That can be another post.....
    Last edited by Chris_LT; 03-26-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Tuner
    Well, I got to drive it around a little yesterday. The changes feel subtle but noticeable, thanks. I'd like to learn what adjustments do what on this car. I always worry about a bad change that might affect the trans in the long run. I would like to also learn what settings I can use to get more aggressive. I am seeing a pattern from what you shared.

According to the scanner during the log I made with these changes, it doesn't take away as much torque when shifting, 73 delivered torque stock vs 180 now for the 2-3 shift.

Tuner in Training
    To be honest, I am not comfortable going much more aggressive with trans setting. I feel that with the increase in pressures and shorter shift slip times, the clutches should see LESS wear. My concern with getting more aggressive with regard to shift firmness is the impact it could have on hard parts breakage. Keeping some of the smoothness eases the torque into the components and hopefully will reduce the likelyhood of a failure. This is just my thought process. As mentioned before, I must keep the wife happy as well.
    If you wanted to go further, it is kind of a mixture or combination of all of the parameters. You need to shorten the target slip, but without the added pressures it might not be able to hit them. Again, not an expert, this is just my understanding and experience thus far.
    Overall though you felt it was an improvement?
    As mentioned I did make a few other changes in the shift schedule and tcc that weren't shared

Tuner
    It's an improvement for sure. And I completely understand keeping the wife happy, I run into that myself, lol. Your logic does seem sound though in regards to the trans life. Thanks for sharing. Ill keep looking into other info.

Thanks again!

Tuner
    Just an update, it seems these settings do not allow the auto start/stop feature to work. The symbol in the dash does come on when I stop at a light. I know some people would say that now they don't have to worry about that feature but I am concerned that either line pressure or something may be too high. Flashing it back before the trans settings allows the system to work normally.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting...I disabled mine through a switch in the software and didn't notice that. FWIW, have 10,000kms on ours with these settings so far with no issues other than what you have just discovered