Thread: TUNE HELP Plz - Start up tune Turbo 4.8L - Idle troubles - Log and tune attached

TUNE HELP Plz - Start up tune Turbo 4.8L - Idle troubles - Log and tune attached

Hey guys. I am having issues with the idle in my project. I am hoping someone will take a moment and take a look at my log and tune to give me their thoughts...

2004 4.8L STOCK Motor
    80 lb/hr Bosch core injectors EV1 style.
    Flow set to 92lb/hr in tune due to 58 psi pressure
    Ebay GT45 Turbo
    2 Bar Map sensor
    Fast rails
    340lph pump returned to tank
    Boost Ref FPR set at 58 psi Base

I set Timing tables to stock except for boost areas I set to about 12 degrees on both tables. I removed timing for 2-step fields while experimenting on building boost on 2-step.
    Main VE was roughed in by a tuner friend who said it should be a good starting point. Every time I run the car the LTFT say it's fat

When I start the car it idles okay but any throttle input causes a high idle flare up like it has a vacuum leak but none found. Takes 8-10 seconds for idle to come down. It will idle okay for 15-20 seconds then start idling rough and die if I don;t feed it throttle. Even with totally stock timing tables and near stock fuel table it does the same thing.

MAP appears to be working correctly but I suspect it or the O2 sensors are bad. I currently have LTFT enabled and STFT disabled to do SD tuning but also have wideband in downpipe to verify AFR. Having major issues with WB reading 22.4 until I get on the gas heavy but then goes right back to 22.4 like its got a massive fresh air leak upstream.

My main issue is the Idle that won't stay stable. Given the tune, as far as I can tell and understand, it should idle forever just fine but it won't. Can someone look at my log then tune and tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Do I have wrong data in there somewhere? He input the injector data...I trust the guy but don't want to bother him with it right now.

20200112_122416.jpg20200210_160222 (1).jpg20200125_194711.jpg

Here is the tune and log 3-11-20 idle log,.hplWagon tune stock.hpt
    Last edited by Nutty Cutty; 03-13-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Senior Tuner
    The tune file is set for a 2 bar MAP sensor. Your datalog shows that you are either running the incorrect MAP sensor or have incorrect data for it.

Replace it with the correct one and you'll have a good starting point.

EDIT:
    Oh wait, I just now noticed that your datalog has the both the SAE MAP and the 3 bar MAP being datalogged. You need to delete both of those from your datalog and just add the 2 bar MAP sensor to the log. Maybe that'll get us the correct datalog

You'll definitely need to adjust your Base Airflow table as well. It's way off.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 03-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.

The MAF isn't failed yet either. Set the MAF fail high to 0hz and set all 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error.

Which MAP sensor are you using, lets make sure that is correct.

Smoke test for intake/exhaust leaks too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Fixing these issues right away. Will try to get an updated log this evening and post if I still have issues.

MAP is a 2 Bar MAP Sensor GM *12615136

MAP Data is correct

I removed the 3bar Map sensor PID from the scanner for this log and left the Intake MAP Sensor SAE PID. I do not see a 2 bar option to add under this system. Afraid if I us the 3 bar it will cause false data due to wrong scale? Maybe I am wrong here and I should use the 3 bar PID instead. Either way we are talking about Idle here so it shouldn't matter.

My concern is still the idle that sways badly and goes from nice and smooth to lean and rough(according to the WB). Shutting off at idle if I don't feed it throttle. I feel like something is making it swing like that and I am missing it in the tune. I have checked and did a Ether test for intake vacuum leaks and have found none at all in any of the intake tract.

Can someone take a look?

By the way, all this was done in park on jackstands. So no load on engine or drivetrain during 2step events which is why it didn't build boost.. I was doing this to check AFR changes following changes in VE. Making sure it was responding like it was supposed to.

Wagon tune 2 step test 1- Timing retarded and fuel added for 2 step.hptgood idle 2 3-20-20.hpl

Im going to check the 02 sensors out to make sure this isn't the issue like this thread….https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...am+rear+sensor

Using the 3 bar channel doesn't matter, you just need to use something higher than the 1 bar so the map channel can read over 105kpa.

As said before your base running airflow needs help. There is no reason for it to only have 2 different values in it. Look at a stock table, it has a slope and yours needs to be like that too. A stock cam doesn't need that much airflow.

With such large injectors it may help you to cut the min fuel milligrams table is half so it's not overly rich at idle. And because you haven't driven it to start working on the VE table I'd put this into open loop. Disable the fuel trims and closed loop enable temp. This way the o2 sensors will not alter the fueling and everything will be solely based on the fueling setup in the VE table.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you. I didn't know what to do with the Base running airflow based on the previous comment. Thank you for the tips. I will try this all today.

Curious, There's no 2 bar MAP available in PID Channels...Why would that be? Only SAE and 3 bar. I sure thought I set it up as 2 bar OS

EDIT: Confirmed its set to 3 bar OS
    Last edited by Nutty Cutty; 03-23-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Well I tried ti do as suggested but idle is just as bad but even worse. Must feed throttle to keep alive. swinging from Way lean to rich constantly even in open loop and trims disabled. I'm lost. I probably still have something wrong but i'm going off of youtube videos of how to set it to open loop etc.

3-23-20 2 step . fucked idle open loop 5. hpl.hpl3-23-20 - Wagon Tune - OPEN LOOP FORCED - NO FUEL TRIMS ACTIVE- .hpt

MAF dtc's should be set to MIL on first error, not no error reported. Just uncheck the SES box.

The log still has the fuel trims active and that current tune has STFT still enabled in open loop. If you want it off you have to disable that and clear the fuel trims in the VCM scanner. After that it will not changing fueling with the o2 sensor and be in open loop only.

I would get your wideband into your logs so you can make a wideband error against the commanded AFR/Lambda to fix the VE table. Avoid full throttle for a while, you dipping into negative timing under boost. If you can get the VE dialed in for idle and part throttle it will make things way easier for getting idle airflow squared away.

This is now set to stock settings. Unsure why it was set that way. I am the second owner of this "tuned" ecm so those values are from the previous guy. He may of has a large cam and that's how he got it to idle. lol

Base running airflow.PNG

I set the timing tables the same and both match the Low octane stock table. Also the VE table is the stock table plus 10 or 15% I believe. I have disabled LTFT and STFT now and attempted to wire in my WB to the ECM via pin 55 EGR Position voltage. I set up all the maths for the tables, charts and proper channels but am getting no EGR voltage while running. I am having issues seeing where to make sure EGR is enabled in the tune in this P01 OS. I see almost nothing listed as EGR to make sure it's going to operate as if EGR is on it and operational

Older versions of the software moved it to a folder.

Edit > navigator > exhaust, then enable it.

The newest software has it in it's own tab.

Found it! Awesome thanks