Thread: 2004 lm7 dbw 5.3 btr nsr with LT's and 2800 stall.

Tuner in Training

Question 2004 lm7 dbw 5.3 btr nsr with LT's and 2800 stall.

In need of all around tunning. It'll idle but low and rough. Idles at around 550 and rich.

Senior Tuner
    Post your stock tune and we can help you. Is it the NSR Stage 4?

Any codes? Can you post your tune and an engine running log?

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Post your stock tune and we can help you. Is it the NSR Stage 4?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    best ive got

Tuner in Training
    btr nsr cam w/ long tubes . Pretty much a stage 2 cam

Tuner in Training
    attached tune as factory

Do you have a wideband o2 sensor?

Is this in a suburban or a swap vehicle?

Is fuel pressure normal at 58psi?

Bump the hot idle speed to 750-800rpm instead of 550. Add like 5-10% for starters to the base running airflow. You'll need to go through and disable stuff you aren't using if it's a swap vehicle and or because you are running long tube headers. Like rear o2 sensor codes, cat over temp (COT) etc etc.

It'll be really hard for anyone to just give you a tune that works because all vehicles are different. This will take lots of your time to drive it, log the data and make the changes it requires to make it right. If you're not up to the task a shop is where this should go.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Here ya go. I modified your tune file. This one sure be a good start for you.
    modified tune for Stage 4 cam.hpt Try this one and get us another datalog.

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=5FDP;603113]Do you have a wideband o2 sensor?

Is this in a suburban or a swap vehicle?

Is fuel pressure normal at 58psi?

Bump the hot idle speed to 750-800rpm instead of 550. Add like 5-10% for starters to the base running airflow. You'll need to go through and disable stuff you aren't using if it's a swap vehicle and or because you are running long tube headers. Like rear o2 sensor codes, cat over temp (COT) etc etc.

It'll be really hard for anyone to just give you a tune that works because all vehicles are different. This will take lots of your time to drive it, log the data and make the changes it requires to make it right. If you're not up to the task a shop is where this should go.

It is a swap vehicle. VATS where removed and I've read a lot about looging and tunning. I want to do this tune myself to learn

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, will do.

Tuner in Training
    Does have rear O2's. Fuel pressure is good. Will bump RPM's and air flow this evening. First time reading about (COT). Will do that. Once I can get it driving, I'll start more logging and look forward to doing this and using it as a learning opportunity. Thank you for your advice.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Here ya go. I modified your tune file. This one sure be a good start for you.
    modified tune for Stage 4 cam.hpt Try this one and get us another datalog.
    log from forum 3.15.20.hpl

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the help

Do you have any pending or current trouble codes?

The fuel system status is showing OL-Fault, meaning some sort of problem. The o2 sensors even in open loop are reporting very lean but those readings could be wrong. A wideband sensor would give a for sure answer to the real time air fuel ratio in the exhaust.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Do you have any pending or current trouble codes?

The fuel system status is showing OL-Fault, meaning some sort of problem. The o2 sensors even in open loop are reporting very lean but those readings could be wrong. A wideband sensor would give a for sure answer to the real time air fuel ratio in the exhaust.

There is a P0200 code, Injector circuit malfunction.

Tuner in Training
    Hi..i have a lm7 engine 5.3.. i want to swap a tsp stage 2 low lift cam..i have hp tuners but i am new to work with this..what must do..? Can help with this?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cj51960 View Post
    Hi..i have a lm7 engine 5.3.. i want to swap a tsp stage 2 low lift cam..i have hp tuners but i am new to work with this..what must do..? Can help with this?
    There are many things that need to be done for it to run properly.

The idle speed and minimum airflow tables need to be increased significantly. A warm target idle speed of 700 rpm is a good starting point.

The VE table needs to be properly tuned. You'll find that it needs less fuel at idle, and more fuel at higher rpm.

You'll need to get a wideband sensor to get the WOT AF ratio properly dialed in. 12.8:1 is a good number for best WOT performance.

After that, you can work the timing tables. Approximately 20-21 degrees at WOT at peak torque and 23-24 degrees at higher rpm is a good start.

Finally, you can increase the shift points and shift firmness, as well as reduce trans TM.