Thread: CAM and Closed Loop

CAM and Closed Loop

Hey guys, is there any way to delay the O2s until I get into cruise? the cam I have is just to much for them in the lower RPM areas. this is an 08 e38 4.8 single turbo Silverado. thanks

Open/closed loop is based on the coolant temp and not the speed at which you are traveling.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

that's what I was afraid of. the truck runs well in SD @ normal operating temps (190ish), but cold start and sitting at red lights it acts like its not 100% happy. nothing I cant live with, just looking for BETTER. Should I enable everything but the O2s? What results have others had allowing all but the o2s?

what are your cam specs, I would be surprised if it's "too much" rather than just a tuning issue.

It's another SS2, it swings lean to rich rich to lean. I made some changes under the O2 tab I Believe it was airflow it didn't seem to help. Suggestions?

you just said it needs help when cold. Thats when the engine is in open loop. Just tune the open loop strategy

it swings lean to rich rich to lean
    This is exactly how closed loop functions on a normal engine, any car.

The trouble is caused when the enrichment step size is too large for the given injectors in use,
    you either lower the rate, the step, or adjust for open loop to take care of those areas

Could you be talking about closed loop mode vs airflow? It shows 0 down low and 64 in the higher airflow. Should I adjust the 0-32 areas for idle? If so to what, max to 64?

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't change those alone, and I wouldn't max them out. Possibly need to tune your lower airflow modes at idle to get the o2's to respond better. Could also just be general idle tuning. Where are the o2's placed relative to your turbo?

That was another concern, the o2s are 2 ft from the turbo 1 behind the other about 5" in between. Then I have the wideband about 8" behind them. It's not ideal but that's how it worked out. I think I found somewhat of a solution to the "right after startup", I adjusted the charge bias table to minimize the lean condition. It was lean for a couple minutes, now it's around 40 seconds. It seems the more I tweak the deeper I get, I'm enjoying this new found hobby. Thanks for the help. Oh I read that you can't adjust the o2s directly just how the ecm reacts to them.

alright guys you all got me to thinking about my idle, I had planned on revisiting but its been to much fun to drive. I got to looking and the adaptives are pulling 7 degrees out at idle. I'm commanding 16 but its allowing 9ish. I suppose its trying to pull the motor down to 900 rpms as commanded but it hovers around 1000. id like to put more timing in maybe 18-20 to try to keep it cooler. ive tried adding airflow in the minimum up to almost double, but it doesn't seem to help or hurt. what am I missing?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I Dont see an idle control valve position. is it drive by wire? I cant tell from the log.

If the idle is high the engine is getting too much air, simply. It means the iacv is open too far (base running idle stuff). Or the throttle body is open too far (basic setting or dbw stuff).
    Or a combination of those things.

It's dbw I tried increasing the min airflow but I didn't try to decrease it. I also may have the torque follower too high. I'll check this aftnoon