Thread: Is This All I Did To Fix The C7 Throttle Lag?...

Advanced Tuner

Is This All I Did To Fix The C7 Throttle Lag?...

Hi Guys! Been awhile again but my favorite forum always seems to bring me back!

Hey a couple years ago my son bought a '16 C7 Z51. He, like almost everyone else with one, noticed the annoying throttle lag/response. He wasn't going to mod the car but he wanted me to tune it just to get rid of the weird pedal feel. I haven't done anything with the Gen 5 engines so I looked at his stock tune and took a guess as to what was limiting the basic pedal/throttle relationship. It was literally two things I changed, I named the tune "2016 Vette throttle try 1" and we loaded the tune. If I remember right (getting old. lol.) the throttle lag was completely 100% gone.

Anyway, also awhile back I got into a "discussion" (haha) about stupid add-on's like Pedal Commanders and also a modified throttle body a guy was selling on the Vette forum. I mentioned how easy it was to "fix" the laggy throttle with tuning, and that tuning was actually the RIGHT way to fix it. Of course, I was attacked by the geriatric Vette crowd that's opposed to crazy things like TUNING. Yikes! Heaven forbid. haha.

So here's the problem... I keep getting guys PM'ing me asking me to "fix" their laggy throttle C7's. I really don't have the time or desire to mess with tuning for others. BUT I have always been about "Learning and Sharing", I think I actually made a thread on here with that exact name at one point. So I wanted to post this little "fix" on the Vette forum for all to enjoy or laugh at, whatever they wanted to do with it. My problem is that I can only find the one tune in my files. Did I actually simply fix it with changes to two tables? Was it that easy? I figured for sure I'd modified the Driver Demand/Desired Torque throttle/pedal mapping tables, but they're bone stock.

Can you guys verify that this is all you do to take the throttle lag away from the C7's? If it is, I don't see why it can't be put out there in the open for all to know. Or maybe it has been already, I honestly haven't been reading anything on here for years.

Thanks guys! Here are the two tables I changed. Basic maxed out values, nothing special...

Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Potential Tuner
    Following...

Advanced Tuner
    Yes those three settings will have a HUGE impact on throttle response. On a stock car it would be like putting a throttle controller on it.

Tuner in Training
    Following

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Higgs, I knew one of the regular "helpers" would step in!

So I guess when I did my son's car it must have been right about the time when those tables were first added to the beta. I had no idea since I haven't been following this stuff for awhile. I have to give the HPT guys props AGAIN for the descriptions, it's what made me try maxing those tables out when we saw the "laggy" pedal to throttle response in my son's logs. (Which btw is why I ALWAYS log pedal position and throttle position and make the ranges exactly the same in the scanner so it's easy to see when their relationship is too far skewed.)

I'm gonna go ahead and post this to the Vette forum since that's where my PM's are coming from for help. I'm not a member of the camaro forum but they should probably know about this too. PROPERLY tuning (not just maxing them out like I did) those tables is a MUCH BETTER way to "fix" the pedal/throttle relationship in these cars. I know bolting on a modified throttle body or plugging in a pedal commander is easier, but in my humble opinion it isn't the right way to fix the "problem". You shouldn't try fixing a software issue with hardware.

Potential Tuner
    I?m looking at my stock tune from my 2014 C7 and don?t see these tables even listed. I?m wondering if the 2014s were different. I have version 4.4.4.
    Last edited by Jaywoo65; 03-19-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    2014 Velocity Yellow C7 Vert
    2014 Dodge Ram 4x4
    2018 Hills Green Ram 2500 CTD

Update your software.

Those tables were in the beta and should be in 4.6 now.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    OK, I had it in the simple mode, it was only showing me certain things. Advanced mode and I can get to all this stuff. I did say I was kinda dumb!
    2014 Velocity Yellow C7 Corvette Stingray Vert M7
    2018 Hills Green Ram 2500 CTD 4x4

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Thanks Higgs, I knew one of the regular "helpers" would step in!

So I guess when I did my son's car it must have been right about the time when those tables were first added to the beta. I had no idea since I haven't been following this stuff for awhile. I have to give the HPT guys props AGAIN for the descriptions, it's what made me try maxing those tables out when we saw the "laggy" pedal to throttle response in my son's logs. (Which btw is why I ALWAYS log pedal position and throttle position and make the ranges exactly the same in the scanner so it's easy to see when their relationship is too far skewed.)

I'm gonna go ahead and post this to the Vette forum since that's where my PM's are coming from for help. I'm not a member of the camaro forum but they should probably know about this too. PROPERLY tuning (not just maxing them out like I did) those tables is a MUCH BETTER way to "fix" the pedal/throttle relationship in these cars. I know bolting on a modified throttle body or plugging in a pedal commander is easier, but in my humble opinion it isn't the right way to fix the "problem". You shouldn't try fixing a software issue with hardware.
    What Vette forum did you post this to? Corvetteforum.com doesn't have much in the way of tuning.
    2014 Velocity Yellow C7 Corvette Stingray Vert M7
    2018 Hills Green Ram 2500 CTD 4x4

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywoo View Post
    What Vette forum did you post this to? Corvetteforum.com doesn't have much in the way of tuning.
    https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-response.html

Potential Tuner
    Where are the 2 tables in your post, i cant see them???

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by intrepidc7gs View Post
    Where are the 2 tables in your post, i cant see them???
    Higgs references it: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...st-Rate-Limits

Rate Limits.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post

I remember this and I think Higgs does too. I didn't read the link but I was part of a similar thread that argued the putting on his TB required no tune on the vette forum.Smart engineering for sure but didn't understand at the time how a GEN V worked i guess.
    Mine has been 1:1 for quite some time now. I can't remember if mine was by accident or by observation. My thought in the beginning was that the addons were merely faking a new curve. That being so, it was manipulating an input table. You should be able to re-curve that same table to do the same thing. Worked for me until it did not match the output table (for a simplified term) and got airflow codes and limp home issues, as does the physical add-ons. Once I got that straightened out, my lag was gone. Changing the airflow characteristics of a stock diameter throttle body is nice, but as I said on the other forum,the same thing can be done in the tune.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Please question:
    After fixing the tables; The ((Torque Request Rate Limits)) should still Disable or I have to turn it to Enable ?