Thread: 2014 F150 2 step limiter

Tuner in Training

2014 F150 2 step limiter

I have a '14 F150 drivetrain (5.0 and 6R80) swapped into an 86 Ranger and am having issues with getting the 2 step to go above 2400 RPM. If I set my 2 step to 2500, there is a distinct difference in the noise it makes and is obvious that there is some sort of limiter within the tune preventing it from going higher versus what is set on the 2 step. I've already set inferred speed to 8k and am out of ideas. This is limiting my launch off my 3b converter and affecting my times at the track. Please send help! If interested in the truck, here is a link to the latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySHtv8Nbac
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Just want to clarify the issue. The 2 step works in park and neutral (set to 3500 rpm). When in drive with the transbrake engaged, there is some sort of limiter that will not let it rev above 2500 RPM. Once the transbrake is released, it revs fine.

Tuner in Training
    Log attached of what the truck is doing. I'm not finding anything strange on my end. The DTCs are for a camshaft sensor that is intermittent.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    bump for help

when using 2 step you need to set inferred movement 8000

inf mov.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by small tuner View Post

inf mov.PNG
    Already is

Senior Tuner
    Im guessing you are using a D clutch relay transbrake. Set low/reverse max VSS to a negative.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Im guessing you are using a D clutch relay transbrake. Set low/reverse max VSS to a negative.
    I'll have to try that thanks. Give me a few days to report back.

Tuner in Training
    No luck with setting negative. I tried -5 and -50, with traction control enabled and disabled with no luck. Also disabled all the fuel and spark source torque limiting and it had no effect. Relays are wired to pins 44 and 45.

Senior Tuner
    Theres two ways to wire the relays in. the way you are doing it, I wouldn't think anything would need to be changed, and your converters stall is whats holding you back. You cant apply the TCC in first gear, so its not that.

Im attaching both ways. The c/D swap is the one that requires the change I suggested. The other is the same as what a launch max would do, just they don't use relays.

transbrake C and B.jpg

transbrake C and D.jpg
    Last edited by murfie; 04-01-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    It's a 3500 stall 3b so my limit of 2500 rpm just doesn't make any sense. I'm willing to try anything at this point so I'll try swapping the wires this weekend.

Senior Tuner
    Beware that is for a 15+ ecm wiring. I'm not sure which wire the D clutch would be on a 14 F150 ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Also just confirmed with Circle D that the converter (by serial number) should be stalling anywhere from 3300-3700 depending on power.

Tuner in Training
    Murfie, it ended up being a loose cam sensor. The retaining clip is broken so it wasn't staying plugged in. Weird that it runs fine when moving, but limits itself when stationary. I still swapped over to the c/d system and it starts pushing through the clutches at about 3100 rpm. I'll have to upgrade the clutch packs next time the engine is out of the car. For now, I'll just supplement with footbraking. I appreciate all your help!

Senior Tuner
    Wild, yeah now that I look at your details tab in your log it does show bank 2 cam sensor A codes.

More remote mechanic skills needed than calibration skills LOL

Murphie

C/d circuit is better than the old one ?

I use two relay and car creep around 2400

Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by small tuner View Post

inf mov.PNG
    With b-c circuit or only with c-d?

Should i add the 3rd relay?

Tuner in Training
    Reviving this thread. Changed out the plug on the cam sensor, swapped the sensor, check the cam teeth, ran the entire Ford troubleshooting tree and still having the same problem. Only thing I haven't done is check to see if the chain skipped a tooth, or hook up an oscilloscope to it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Up

B clutch or d clutch hold better