Thread: Primary VE question??

Potential Tuner

Primary VE question??

So I'm trying to get a base tune to get my new build to idle. right now it wont idle and it wont start unless i have the throttle cracked. Its a 2001 6.0 LQ4 bored .030 over, tick stage 3 turbo cam, P&P 317 heads, bosch 210's on pump gas, and stock LS1 intake.

Im following steps to adjust the tune just to get it to idle and when I got to the primary VE table every box is at 485%, which is maxed. When I open the stock tune it is showing the same thing. Is this because I'm running a 3bar OS on the 0411? Would this cause an issue starting? Here is a screen shot of what i have, thanks for any input.

Screenshot (2).png

Jesus, I don't know why that is like that but I can say it's obvious why she won't run.... You need to start over with new VE table and scale it for 3 bar. You may want to use repository for a stock file to copy a stock VE table.

2nd what Nutty said. You added "super squirter" injectors, a big ass cam, and bored it over. This is no longer a 6.0. Those variables will need to be programmed in as well. What you have right now is extreme amounts of fuel going in. Stock file VE copied over, then maybe add 10% for safe start.

Also, might want to remove plugs and let them dry. lol.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Potential Tuner
    Thank guys, I got a copy of another VE table from a similar setup to mine. I also, lowered the fuel rail pressure to 43psi, which allowed the car to start, run for a few seconds, then die.

So, I did some reading and adjusted the throttle body screw and did a TPS relearn so it reads zero. I was also informed the IaC should read 40-60 in the log at idle with a large cam. So as it sits, the throttle idle screw is all the way in, the TPS won’t read zero, even after multiple relearnings. The best I can get is 3.8% when closed. The IAC at idle is in the 160-180 range. Is there a place to tune that or do I have something else going on. On the brighter side, the car starts right up and idles smooth.

By the way, the plugs were black, cleaned up nicely though

Last edited by dsavage831; 03-16-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Senior Tuner
    You'll be limited to approx. 0.82V for your TPS at idle. You'll either have to readjust your TB or slot the TPS to reduce the TPS voltage to an acceptable range.

Advanced Tuner
    Your original questions. Yes your VE looks like that bc of the 3 Bar upgrade. Yes it will cause running issues.
    That all needs to be redone.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    You'll be limited to approx. 0.82V for your TPS at idle. You'll either have to readjust your TB or slot the TPS to reduce the TPS voltage to an acceptable range.
    I’m thinking I’ll try and slot the tps. But I’m still having an issue with the high IAC reading (in the 180 range). I’ve been reading it should be 40-60. I’ve heard drilling the hole bigger in the throttle blade, will that bring those IAC numbers down or am I getting hung up on something not important?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by anniversaryss View Post
    Your original questions. Yes your VE looks like that bc of the 3 Bar upgrade. Yes it will cause running issues.
    That all needs to be redone.
    I did end up copying a VE table from another tune close to the setup as mine. It made a huge difference

Quote Originally Posted by dsavage831 View Post
    I’m thinking I’ll try and slot the tps. But I’m still having an issue with the high IAC reading (in the 180 range). I’ve been reading it should be 40-60. I’ve heard drilling the hole bigger in the throttle blade, will that bring those IAC numbers down or am I getting hung up on something not important?
    Pull the throttle body off and flip the throttle stop screw around so you can get to it easily and use it to crack the throttle plate until you get your IAT into the 40-60 step range. From there just adjust the TPS so it reads 0% at idle.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo8john View Post
    Pull the throttle body off and flip the throttle stop screw around so you can get to it easily and use it to crack the throttle plate until you get your IAT into the 40-60 step range. From there just adjust the TPS so it reads 0% at idle.
    That?s a good idea, I didn?t think about flipping the screw around. I?ll give that a try this weekend.