Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Trailblazer SS Beginning tune

2007 Trailblazer SS Beginning tune

I acquired a great 1 owner 2007 TBSS, totally unmolested.
    I have worked with HPtuner on a couple vehicles, but mostly my 2000 Regal GSE so a good bit of the TBSS looks way different.
    (I will add that between the Regal site and here, I was so amazed at the help I received)
    So my question is would anyone have a decent starting config file to share?
    I will mention, I am not going over the top at this point with any mods or bolt ons, my thought for now is a good CIA setup, a throttle body and true duals at least for now. Maybe this winter I'll think about a little boost, but for now I would like to get all I can out of what is there and I am sure there is more in it than the stock tune.

I'm also looking, watching and reading all I can about the TCM and what to do with it, but I will admit, my brain is now on overload so any direction would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Advanced Tuner
    E67?
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

05-06 should be E40 and 07-08 are E67.

I highly suggest you learn how to do stuff before you do any mods. Wait on the intake/throttle body/headers for a little while just to get yourself going.

I don't have any configs or that on this computer and more often than not I do use the pre-made configs and just create the few that I need for whatever I am doing. Just log everything you think you should be watching. Change PE settings, engine timing and so on to get it how you want it, then work your way into adding power with mods.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

I highly suggest you learn how to do stuff before you do any mods. Wait on the intake/throttle body/headers for a little while just to get yourself going.

I don't have any configs or that on this computer and more often than not I do use the pre-made configs and just create the few that I need for whatever I am doing. Just log everything you think you should be watching. Change PE settings, engine timing and so on to get it how you want it, then work your way into adding power with mods.
    Thanks for the reply!

The more I read, I am seeing a lot of info saying my current 90mm TB is fine for what I am doing or trying to get at this moment. A good breather and exhaust will help enough to feel a little better with a decent tune to start.
    I guess if I go to modding, since it would be a winter thing, I may just get a feel from a few S/C modded guys, but for now, yes, my main thing is simple to start.

The three areas I seem to see that will make it feel a little less choked is PE Spark and some of the TCM stuff which is one area I seem to struggle a little with on this truck. My regal seemed easy, but it has been over a year that I got it like I wanted and newer VCM versions.
    I can find the spark and read it well from past experience. (those 3800 were KR Kings) and the PE although looks different a little (may be the newer version) seems to be something I can work through, the torque stuff? well that's where I seem to be on overload as it looks quite different from the 4T65-E HD.

The AWD seems to launch good, but feels like the brakes are on for the first 20 or so feet then it goes pretty well. I would like just a starting point to improve this feeling and help through the power band, but again, my 1st AWD, and different tranny, I'm just green enough to not know which door to open first you might say.

I can find my way through stall, shift points and some pressures, but it's that beginning of launch (while still holding the brakes) area that I am not sure how to find. I know it's a combination of things and surely PE and advance will have an affect, but I know there are TCM settings there as well and they're lies my green - ness.

I did use what I thought was the starting point I got from the initial read, but it seemed it didn't log several items in standalone, that may be my error in the sequence of things and I'll try it again with more logs to see.

One thing I am not real familiar with is the drive by wire and I seem to not be getting full throttle in the categories it listed. I'm having difficulty finding info to explain each ones differences.

I figured I could at least ask since I know there are guys who have tuned on these without major mods, maybe get lucky and find a template that has the proper stuff already.

Thanks again!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

The other thing I am trying to find is info on "what exactly happens" when you set the TC button and TC is off. On my Regal it had to buttons, trac lock and sport (on the shifter) and one of the guys at RegalGS.org pointed me in the direction to know their functions, then the fun began. That regal with very few mods is a very good runner.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Press the button to turn off TC, press & hold for ~10 seconds to turn off Stabilitrak. Both reset back to 'on' after every key cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Press the button to turn off TC, press & hold for ~10 seconds to turn off Stabilitrak. Both reset back to 'on' after every key cycle.
    It will show a message when TC is off, what about Stabilitrak? I am guessing you press to turn off tc and then press and hold or just press and hold to turn off all of it? Basic question is 1 push of button (and hold) or 2 pushes (hold 10 sec on second push)

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

1 short push for TCS off
    or
    1 long push for Stabilitrac off

It will work either way - in two steps, or a single long press. And it's just a button, you can go push it and see what happens yourself. Nothing will explode.

It will work either way - in two steps, or a single long press. And it's just a button, you can go push it and see what happens yourself. Nothing will explode.
    HAHA, I figured that, yur funny.....
    No really, I tried both, they work and supply the DIC message.
    So now with even more questions tho

I realize they are different. Are they totally independent? i.e. if TCC is off STBLtrak is still on, when you turn off STBLtrak, does this disable TCC as well? Can they both be off at the same time?
    I did do a first tune, remembering it is all stock and ATP in time, like only better breather and dual exhaust. Headers are questionable, but possible if they are worth the gain.
    I was going to post stock vs my 1 tune and have logs for each as well just to see one might tell me I did or am going the right way so far.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Owner's manual describes it, if you have one. I can copy/paste the relevant section if you don't.

In short, the only way to kill it 100% is to pull the ABS fuse, even with TC & Stabilitrak switched off via the button the ABS will step in under some conditions.

Owner's manual describes it, if you have one. I can copy/paste the relevant section if you don't.

In short, the only way to kill it 100% is to pull the ABS fuse, even with TC & Stabilitrak switched off via the button the ABS will step in under some conditions.
    Ah, I kinda wonder and I just smacked myself for not reading my manual, thank you for reminding me to research more, but I kinda figured ABS would be in there, but I got that covered as I'll have a switch for it soon on the lower dash like I did my Regal. It was similar, but only reacted under hard breaking, even with the trac ctrl switch off.

So does the TBSS use anti lock in some anti tire slip situations like TCC? I know on some newer vehicles this happens, just not sure on this one. (I know I can google it maybe, but you seem like a great reference)

Thanks for the info tho, much appreciated. Now I gotta post a couple files and gather opinions.

Have a good one!

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

I tried my 1st tune, and have stock with a log and tunes with a log, where might be a good place to share these and get feedback on whether I'm going in the right direction?

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

You can attach files here. Find the 'Go Advanced' button below the quick reply box, that takes you to a full editor with a 'Manage Attachments' feature a bit down the page.

First tune attempt

I am attaching a couple files, although not totally new to HP tuners, this vehicle is tricky to me and I keep finding even more questions, so.... I thought I'd ask some experts.
    First off, here is the file list; (then I'll get to questions)

1. Stock tune and data run, 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 shifts

No tune good 12 and 23 hit for compare.hpl
      TB3SS base stock tune.hpt
    2. Tune 1 with data rune also 1to 2 and 2 to 3 shifts.

tune 1 2nd hit thru 2nd with hwy run.hpl
      TB3SS base stock tune-I no limit PE and TCM.hpt

Please keep in mind, it is totally stock at this moment, only addition has been a high flow air filter.
    Last edited by 00GrcyGtr; 03-22-2020 at 09:57 AM.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

So now with a million questions.... well kinda

So there is a lot of various things to manage how torque is delivered and managed, there are also patterns.
    question 1 is if I use the tune I share above, is going to run this tune in all settings? i.e. if I turn trac control and or even STABLtrak? Will the vehicle function differently (based on tune) in these various settings of the vehicle turned on or off?
    question 2 is, can the vehicle be made to perform differently with each of these settings on or off?

example is in my 2000 Regal GS, I can make it run a little differently based on whether the performance shift button on the shifter is on or off.

So in part, the question is how to use the patterns, or are they needed, based on a mostly stock vehicle.

A couple other areas I am still trying to figure out is the management under braking and TC lock unlock. I know at some time you want it locked, and others, say while shifting you don't. This has been a little bit confusing.

I'm still reading and watching videos each day to get a better handle, but any input/direction form you guys here is always a good thing.

My intention is to only open up the air box for fresh air from the fenderwell and a true dual exhaust for the moment. I'd just like to get all I can out of what I have (which I know it's there), but I don't need my stock ride on the ragged edge either.

Thanks to you all!

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Other tune trial to review

I will add, after a little more reading and watching some tuner school stuff, I tried some shift firming in this attached tune, I have not wrote to or tried in the truck yet, thought maybe it could be compared to my base stock tune 1 file which is currently being ran in the truck.

I attempted to firm and quicken a little, the shifts and points. I believe is the only difference here, but would like to know if it's headed in the right direction or if I'm doing it all bassackwards.

Thanks again guys!

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Senior Tuner
    I see several areas for improvement.
    1. Your PE vs TPS table is sloped incorrectly. As rpm increases, you'd want the TPS enable threshold to decrease. You can go to the repository and look at an Corvette tune for reference.
    2. As far as engine TM, I would max all of the values in the Brake TM table to 6042. Likewise on the TM vs RPM tables in each gear.
    3. Looks like it could use a little more ignition timing in the middle of the rpm range...from 3000-5000 specifically. Just add a degree at a time and test it. Look for spark knock.
    4. On the transmission side, I would increase the line pressure by bumping the base shift pressure tables in 1-2 and 2-3 upshift tables. Then I would zero the trans TM on the 1-2 shift and reduce trans TM on the 2-3 and 3-4 by 50%.

Raising shift pressures is good (less slip), reducing the shift timing tables is good (even less slip), reducing Shift TM (lots more slip) in a 400HP, ~5000lb AWD SUV scares me a little.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    I see several areas for improvement.
    1. Your PE vs TPS table is sloped incorrectly. As rpm increases, you'd want the TPS enable threshold to decrease. You can go to the repository and look at an Corvette tune for reference.
    2. As far as engine TM, I would max all of the values in the Brake TM table to 6042. Likewise on the TM vs RPM tables in each gear.
    3. Looks like it could use a little more ignition timing in the middle of the rpm range...from 3000-5000 specifically. Just add a degree at a time and test it. Look for spark knock.
    4. On the transmission side, I would increase the line pressure by bumping the base shift pressure tables in 1-2 and 2-3 upshift tables. Then I would zero the trans TM on the 1-2 shift and reduce trans TM on the 2-3 and 3-4 by 50%.
    Which specific tune are you referring to, tune 1 or the one labeled "add shift bumps", they are the same tune with only a couple (what I thought) were shift firmness and timing adjustments.
    Also, are the settings you refer to maxing anything like "zeroing out" as I've heard some say? I am told this is bad on trannys.

2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS