Thread: 4r70w shift lag

4r70w shift lag

Hey guys im new to tuning on these auto trans. I have a 2004 with a magnuson blower and I'm having extreme shift lag on the transmission. It hits 5500 which is what I'm commanding to shift but they tb dies for almost a second before it shifts and opens it up again. I would appreciate any pointers. Truck has comp cams for pd blower, obx headers and a custom 4 inch intake tube. afrs were right at 11.8-11.2 at wot on 91
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2017 mustang gt

You still have torque management pulling 50% of your power on the shifts, you can also bump line pressure which will help speed up the shift some and hold more torque.

yes I increased the tm to 80% and still shifts the same. I will bump it to to 100 and try bumping up the pressures when I get it back. thank you. its just a trip to see the tables with negative numbers in the pressure tables. what's considered a safe pressure limit on these transmissions?
    2017 mustang gt

so after I did all the above turns out the transmission was about a quart low? we will test tomorrow. I appreciate the input
    2017 mustang gt

Advanced Tuner
    Did you ever figure out how to fix this?

It seems to have gone away once we filled the trans up. The customer hasn't said anything else about it

Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    It seems to have gone away once we filled the trans up. The customer hasn't said anything else about it
    That will do it! but usually you'll see it at funny when cold and on take off.

Advanced Tuner
    Ive been battling a similar issue. Mine will shift at WOT, TB will shut for a few seconds, than it will open back up. Fluid is full and I've tried just about everything. I'll keep looking. Thank you

I did set shift torque management to 1.0 and increased the pressures. But still did it. That's when I said let's check the fluid and it was a quart low. After that the customer took it and said it seemed to have fixed it. And I havent heard from him again. I also increased shift times. To see if the shift would initiate earlier

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Ive been battling a similar issue. Mine will shift at WOT, TB will shut for a few seconds, than it will open back up. Fluid is full and I've tried just about everything. I'll keep looking. Thank you
    Post your tune file and let us take a look, maybe we'll find something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    I did set shift torque management to 1.0 and increased the pressures. But still did it. That's when I said let's check the fluid and it was a quart low. After that the customer took it and said it seemed to have fixed it. And I havent heard from him again. I also increased shift times. To see if the shift would initiate earlier
    Yeah after having issues with transmissions being low in 100% stock form the dealer i always check fluid level just to be sure. I've also found home builders tend to check fluid level with the engine off or just after filling it before starting the engine. Both of those conditions of course lead to low fluid levels. These newer transmissions don't have pressure sensors so it's imperative fluid level is proper.

So yeah the truck is still doing it. And first to second slams hard af 😂

Advanced Tuner
    Still doing what?

I'll have reread the PCM and post a file later today.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Post your tune file and let us take a look, maybe we'll find something.

Yeah after having issues with transmissions being low in 100% stock form the dealer i always check fluid level just to be sure. I've also found home builders tend to check fluid level with the engine off or just after filling it before starting the engine. Both of those conditions of course lead to low fluid levels. These newer transmissions don't have pressure sensors so it's imperative fluid level is proper.
    Here is the file. Thank you.
    RXAQ6 - MEH1.hpt

We finally put the truck back together and tb is still closing after shift. I will continue messing with the torque management and fill times.
    2017 mustang gt