Thread: Questions on LSA Tune

Potential Tuner

Questions on LSA Tune

Hey guys, first post here. Been messing around with HP Tuners just a small amount over the past year and had a couple of questions. Just bought a 2011 CTS-V that had previously been tuned by either Lingenfelter or SpeedInc in Illinois if I had to guess. Car has a Lingenfelter 630 package (2.55 pulley, 160 T-stat, and intake tube). That's it. Stock exhaust all the way back, no porting or injectors.

I downloaded a stock 2011 CTS-V tune and compared it to this and wanted some experts in here to offer their take on it. Tune is located below but the areas that I have questions on are as follows.

1- All 02 codes are disabled to include the Sensor 1 too lean and too rich code. Those that do this for a living, do you normally disable these too?

2- Power Enrichment EQ Ratio is static across the table. What benefit does this serve versus increment changes? Should it be flat and the rest of the VE table be dialed in more to have a predictable PE?My 2011 Base 630 Tune.hpt

3- COT is disabled even though the stock exhaust is still there, cats and all. Why disable this?

4- Fuel cutoff for RPM is raised to 6,700. This a safe redline for these LSA motors?

5- Under Spark, Retard- Base vs. CylairDelta has been changed quite a bit. Not really familiar with this table but read the description. Does this look alright?

6- Knock Sensor levels have been changed as well. I know the LSA/LS3 platform has a history of false knock so scaling these can help reduce unnecessary timing from being pulled but can anyone with experience tell me if these look like a safe setting?

7- What really concerns me is the Torque management. Under the supercharger tab Spark, Fuel, and ETC are all disabled, but IAT is set at 100%. I'm not looking for a max effort car, more along the lines of safe and ready to throw down steady power. I know I can alter these, but has anyone else set theirs up like this and been safe? I know proper cooling of the IATs in this situation is vital, but how many actually set this to be disabled?

Thanks ahead of time for the input. I'd rather be a little long winded and detailed with this than generic info.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo87 View Post
    Hey guys, first post here. Been messing around with HP Tuners just a small amount over the past year and had a couple of questions. Just bought a 2011 CTS-V that had previously been tuned by either Lingenfelter or SpeedInc in Illinois if I had to guess. Car has a Lingenfelter 630 package (2.55 pulley, 160 T-stat, and intake tube). That's it. Stock exhaust all the way back, no porting or injectors.

I downloaded a stock 2011 CTS-V tune and compared it to this and wanted some experts in here to offer their take on it. Tune is located below but the areas that I have questions on are as follows.

1- All 02 codes are disabled to include the Sensor 1 too lean and too rich code. Those that do this for a living, do you normally disable these too?
    not always. typically only the post cat ones. or if the car has a large camshaft and in full open loop they get disabled

2- Power Enrichment EQ Ratio is static across the table. What benefit does this serve versus increment changes? Should it be flat and the rest of the VE table be dialed in more to have a predictable PE?My 2011 Base 630 Tune.hpt yes. PE EQ ratio is the target being commanded under power enrichment or WOT. if someone has tuned WOT by just editing this table to be many different numbers, thats not correct.

3- COT is disabled even though the stock exhaust is still there, cats and all. Why disable this? COT can make tuning WOT difficult as it often adds fuel. The cat will still survive on a stock car with this disabled and it makes for a more consistant car

4- Fuel cutoff for RPM is raised to 6,700. This a safe redline for these LSA motors? they turn to over 7000rpm with good springs and a cam to make power up there. theyre a strong engine

5- Under Spark, Retard- Base vs. CylairDelta has been changed quite a bit. Not really familiar with this table but read the description. Does this look alright? burst knock is a calculation or prediction made by the PCM off of other data. Its not accurate after the calibration is modified and relying on actual knock retard is enough and perfectly normal. i personally zero burst knock

6- Knock Sensor levels have been changed as well. I know the LSA/LS3 platform has a history of false knock so scaling these can help reduce unnecessary timing from being pulled but can anyone with experience tell me if these look like a safe setting? often E38 knock sensors are over sensitive from factory. they pull timing for no reason. its common to desensitize them. sometimes they will even pick up knock from general engine noise.

7- What really concerns me is the Torque management. Under the supercharger tab Spark, Fuel, and ETC are all disabled, but IAT is set at 100%. I'm not looking for a max effort car, more along the lines of safe and ready to throw down steady power. I know I can alter these, but has anyone else set theirs up like this and been safe? I know proper cooling of the IATs in this situation is vital, but how many actually set this to be disabled? turning off engine torque managment is very common. Its not needed. the auto needs torque managment but not the engine. torque managment will limit power and torque, the opposite of what you're trying to achieve tuning. the calibration has spark and fuel correction if IAT or ECT get too hott. thats the safety corrections, not torque managment. The trans however, totally opposite. with more power and torque from engine the trans TM is more crucial.

Thanks ahead of time for the input. I'd rather be a little long winded and detailed with this than generic info.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm curious about those knock sensor settings as well. Wondering if that is a safe level or not

Potential Tuner
    Luke thank you very much for the info. It is greatly appreciated. I've messed around with it alot since I've got it and have changed alot to the intake and exhaust side of things on the engine so it's just been the tedious log, change, write, repeat for the past few weeks. I'd love to have a dyno to actually measure my torque to know when I can stop timing advancement changes without relying on knock since I'm sketchy on those knock sensor calibrations lol.

Thanks again man.