Thread: Trying to tune turbo 2019 gt

Tuner in Training

Trying to tune turbo 2019 gt

So after talking with lund and them wanting me to change a ton of stuff i am attempting to get this car partially tuned. I am just looking for pointers to help me out. The map is not the greatest and even with the plug on the fender disconnected I am getting a wrench light. I also do not see air load rising up with boost. This is just my N/A map with load changes for mapped points. Any help would be appreciated.

Setup is a stock motor and trans,CG fab turbo kit, VS racing 7875 turbo,3in open downpipe.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Disable your flex fuel, and set the fuel stoich point to the fuel you have in the tank. This will lock down the commanded lambda you are targeting.
    Hopefully you have known good injector data. You either need a know good MAF curve or injector data as a base to keep the rest of the tune in check.
    If you have the MAF in some random size pipe, and some cheapo injectors that don't give you good data, I hope you have an external MAP sensor and fuel rail pressure sensor and the MPVI pro to hook them up with and get their values in the log.

Tuner in Training
    The injectors are just gen 1 35lb same as in my N/A tune so that good. The lift pump pressure is in the log and the maf is now in a the upper intercooler pipe witch is 3.5in. My main concern is the load value not going up with boost.

Quote Originally Posted by turboanything View Post
    My main concern is the load value not going up with boost.
    It's not going to until you lock down your stoich like Murfie said. MAF error is being taken up by the flex fuel inference and causing your aircharge and load values to be off which in turn is causing your ETC FMEM and wrench light.
    Last edited by Witt; 03-22-2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Witt View Post
    It's not going to until you lock down your stoich like Murfie said. MAF error is being taken up by the flex fuel inference and causing your aircharge and load values to be off which in turn is causing your ETC FMEM and wrench light.
    Before i installed the Maf in the new intercooler pipe i ran the car and got 68% ethanol. I always wait till the alcohol % gets close before driving or making changes I am just trying to burn up whats left in the tank. I have already played with the maf vs period a lot. My est KPA goes up with boost.

Tuner in Training
    I am not really understanding why my air load is not going over 1.026. I keep looking over settings and must be missing something. I am willing to pay for help if someone has some guidance.

Senior Tuner
    I still say you should turn flex fuel off, just put the stoich of the fuel in your tank in the ECM2300 table, adjust with the least amount of things changing in the background on you.

The SD not only converts your MAF to a MAP pressure, but it also determines the VE of the engine(calculated load). An important table for this that you do not have filled out is MAP max above baro. This allows the air mass in the cylinder to be calculated above .00170 pounds you get at 14.7PSI(or whatever your baro is coming out to and correcting the maximum air mass). Allowing higher than 1.0 airload to be achieved.
    Last edited by murfie; 03-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I still say you should turn flex fuel off, just put the stoich of the fuel in your tank in the ECM2300 table, adjust with the least amount of things changing in the background on you.

The SD not only converts your MAF to a MAP pressure, but it also determines the VE of the engine(calculated load). An important table for this that you do not have filled out is MAP max above baro. This allows the air mass in the cylinder to be calculated above .00170 pounds you get at 14.7PSI(or whatever your baro is coming out to and correcting the maximum air mass). Allowing higher than 1.0 airload to be achieved.
    Load is fixed thanks murfie. I am falling out of OP at 3800 on every pull. tried changing op settings to no avail.

Senior Tuner
    You didn't go high enough. Pay attention to the units I have it on and try what I have in the picture below.

Turboanything map max above baro.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 03-25-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Then you can enable blow through, zero your quadratic (MP 14/21/25) values out from 3600RPM up. That should get your calculated MAP much closer to actual, and calculated load(VE) closer to actual.
    Last edited by murfie; 03-28-2020 at 05:01 AM.

Then you can enable blow through, zero your quadratic MP values out from 3600RPM up, and set the offset for those same MP's from 3600RPM up to 25-26. That should get your calculated MAP much closer to actual, and calculated load(VE) closer to actual.
    No need to enable BT in turbo applications to get VE in the right spot, but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by turboanything View Post
    Load is fixed thanks murfie. I am falling out of OP at 3800 on every pull. tried changing op settings to no avail.
    op.jpg

Senior Tuner
    I just figured with him commanding a PE lower than COT, enabling BT would help it from being drowned in fuel from the O2's getting a little skewed from it. Who knows how close his MAF transfer really is, trims are all over the place and he wont turn flex fuel off. It is disabled now in this tune and log, but still.
    Last edited by murfie; 03-26-2020 at 02:00 AM.

I just figured with him commanding a PE lower than COT, enabling BT would help it from being drowned in fuel from the O2's getting a little skewed from it. Who knows how close his MAF transfer really is, trims are all over the place and he wont turn flex fuel off. It is disabled now in this tune and log, but still.
    Not sure why he won't turn the flex fuel off - maybe he knows something we don't...who knows

Tuner in Training
    I started the other day with a fresh tank of 93 and spent a good amount of time tweaking the Maf table. Then I experimented with the "Map max delta" but that seemed to not have a affect. I could get a clean pull at 5.5psi and have 11.3 AFRs but the OP problem persisted. I read somewhere about lowering the "Load at WOT". I reduced the numbers twice to what you see in the current tune file and was able to get a clean pull at 11.3afr still making 5.5 psi and stay in OP the whole time. I also had some issues with part throttle in boost. Anything over 2-3psi the car was leaning out and not going into PE. I lowered the "fuel enrichment pedal" and it got drastically better. But a side effect is PE is now on at certain low throttle areas. The next step is to setup the distance tables for no IMRCs since I removed them when i did the turbo build. Any input is always appreciated guys.

Senior Tuner
    I dont know your tuning background, but MAF tuning is one of the most basic things that you can do and make a huge difference in the way a car responds to tuning, cross platforms it is basically the same. The ECU needs to know how much air is flowing through the engine. It's actually very simple too, unless there's a hardware problem you are chasing/ hiding in the MAF curve. Your MAF period signal sucks at low airflow, which is probably making it hard for you. I don't know what steps you took to adjust your MAF curve and achieve a target, but it did not end well. Its rich everywhere, and the curve is "bumpy."

turboanything.PNG

For MAF tuning you want to put the car in 5th or 6th, and start at 40 mph and go WOT(or a steady partial throttle %) just like you are on a dyno, you end up at a very high speed, so its not recommended to be done on the street (although on the street the data you collect usually ends up being about twice what you see on a dyno, as the pull takes twice as long). If the tire spin or you lift up on the pedal, or something closes the throttle like TC, the pull/ log is junk.
    Last edited by murfie; 03-31-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Oh and when you do this first step of tuning, don't put ALL the timing in it. 22*, 5+ psi of boost, high rate of rise IATs, AND the fueling being off is a bad recipe. Every thing above 1.1 load put at 14* or less, make sure there's no correction tables that may come in and bump this up too high, and cap the knock adder to 2*. This can all be dialed in later once the important thing, your AFR, is correct. Or just use the preignition limit table.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-01-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I only use a 2 mile stretch of road near my shop for this data. I am not comfortable taking it on any extended drive time. All my adjustments are done manually so it takes a lot of time. I tune a lot of older cars "mid 2000s" mostly Evos and Dsms and older GenIII Gm stuff.