Thread: 2015+ VCT Distance Tables Not Behaving

2015+ VCT Distance Tables Not Behaving

Me again...

Man, despite having essentially the same structure this 2015 does not seem to match the normal VCT distance table behavior I am used to.

Take this instant for example:

2015 VCT Distance Issue.jpg

RPM: 5000+
    Load: 1.2+
    VCT Schedule: Best Fuel Economy

Already this doesn't make sense, as for the current baro pressure, the max load for Best Fuel Econ is 0.63, and we are double that. So, it should have kicked into Best Driveability

Skipping over that, we are solidly in the bottom-right cell of the distance table, equal to 9.4

A 9.4 distance on the Fuel Econ mapped points track puts us roughly halfway between MP21 and MP24.

Neither of those MPs have any weight. We are mostly in MP0, MP8, and MP12.

What is the story here?

Bump

Advanced Tuner
    At that load and throttle angle, its blending very ugly into OP. Your ivo advanced from + to -, past 0* so you have weight in mp 0 and 8 for ivo 0, mp 12 is getting weight from ivo being more advanced.
    Their evc is weighing as well.

Try adding them to snap to point and changing snap to line.

I disable a lot of mp in the s550s to keep blending and the number of tables minimal. 24 is one i disable. I believe ivo -20 evc 0. I disable this because we never command evc 0. It takes up weight. You could have 100% in 25 or a smooth blend between from 25 to 21 to 22 but these mp with unnecessary angles cause unnecessary blending.

See if snap to point will allow 24 to blend.

But OP is disabled.

Here is the current MP configuration. Mostly stock as a jumping off point. Especially since I haven't gotten a definitive word on how to accurately translate cam angles (which I have well sorted on S197) to the mid-lock S550's.

stpstl.jpg

But overall, the basic behavior just isn't working like I expect.

• Why is it in Best Fuel Econ, when load is double the defined max?
    • Why are the MP's defined by the distance tables not getting any weight?

Advanced Tuner
    By OP disabled, are you talking about "0" in Mapped Point Config?
    What actually happened in the log? Was this a 40 roll, was this a 4th gear pull?

The S550 angles can relate a lot to the first gens, their angles provide better efficiency and stability. You've probably noticed their idle is more smooth and cold starts aren't as choppy. Most of them get better MPG depending on the driver.
    You curious on how it actually runs through the angles and weights?

Advanced Tuner
    Im guessing the car is N/A but why are you at 1.2 air load?
    Something seem to be calculating wrong unless boosted, even then air load should be greater. You shouldnt be in any fuel eco tables, your source should be OP following OP cam angles weighing 20-25.

Senior Tuner
    Dont ignore IMRC, those have their own distance values, and blend from closed to open.

Everything is based on the physical location, not where you are commanding it to be(not that the distance is what the command is anyway, the array for the appropriate mode is). If IMRC is not opening, its not going to let you go to the open MPs. If the cams are not at -20,15 like commanded, you won't get values in that MP, you will get the values from the MP that is closest to what is actually, physically happening.
    Last edited by murfie; 03-31-2020 at 10:23 PM.

It is boosted. Roughly 10 psi PD blower.

IMRC is disabled.

Senior Tuner
    So you have a bunch of redundant points describing the same physical state. Disable the ones you don't wanna use, or change the angles to describe a different calibrated point.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    So you have a bunch of redundant points describing the same physical state. Disable the ones you don't wanna use, or change the angles to describe a different calibrated point.

Are you just assuming that is the case, or did you crunch the numbers?

The distance table says we should be 40% along the path between MP21 and MP24, which should give us an EVC = 12*, instead we are at nearly 15*.

Why is it still using Best Fuel Econ at 1.2 load?

Senior Tuner
    Lots of mapped points in a stock calibration can become redundant with the IMRC removed. The stock distance tables assume the IMRC are functional and it doesn't think the MPs are redundant because one is with IMRC open and the other is with IMRC closed. Disabling the solenoid control and position sensors doesn't remove them from still being part of the distance check.

IMRC redundant MPs.PNG

14, 21, and 25 are the three main tables in the stock cal to follow OP angles, and those become redundant with 0, 8, and 12.

Mostly 14 in low RPMs, 25 in the mid range, and mostly 21 in the high RPMs, all blending from one to the next.

even with OP MP disabled, 15+ follows OP angles when above any of the enable tables, and just pulls weight from the nearest MPs, totally outside of the mode distance. The vct schedule mode channel may not indicate it if you have conflicting information of what OP mode is and what is really happening. IMRC OP mode wants to see the IMRC are open and you defined them as closed on hardware removal as an example.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-02-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Lots of mapped points in a stock calibration can become redundant with the IMRC removed. The stock distance tables assume the IMRC are functional and it doesn't think the MPs are redundant because one is with IMRC open and the other is with IMRC closed. Disabling the solenoid control and position sensors doesn't remove them from still being part of the distance check.

IMRC redundant MPs.PNG

14, 21, and 25 are the three main tables in the stock cal to follow OP angles, and those become redundant with 0, 8, and 12.

Mostly 14 in low RPMs, 25 in the mid range, and mostly 21 in the high RPMs, all blending from one to the next.

even with OP MP disabled, 15+ follows OP angles when above any of the enable tables, and just pulls weight from the nearest MPs, totally outside of the mode distance. The vct schedule mode channel may not indicate it if you have conflicting information of what OP mode is and what is really happening. IMRC OP mode wants to see the IMRC are open and you defined them as closed on hardware removal as an example.
    I found it's better to switch the hardware off but keep the sensor active so you can say they are being sucked in..turbo guys.

Now even tho IMRC is removed PCM still takes PUMPING LOSS into consideration - I'd would like to turn it off but no switch to do so.
    Even Roush calibrations have those adjusted, even tho IMRC tab is removed completely from OS - taken to bare min with just ON/OFF switch.

IMRC redundant MPs.PNG

Thanks for that.

On a boosted car, is it better then to disable 0 - 13, or 14 - 26?

I am finding that at WOT, the car is not following the IVO and EVC angles defined in the OP tables. Any ideas why that would be? IVO is 10* off of what I have defined in OP angle table.

you will find it easy when disable 0-13
    Turbocharged COYOTE

PM for E tune / Remote Tuning
    [email protected]