Thread: Gen IV 5.3 with manual trans

Tuner in Training

Gen IV 5.3 with manual trans

with tune file

Recently completed a swap and discovering may have some hardware or electronics incompatibility.
    Believe I have a 2008 5.3, harness has VSS added, not connected - no provisions in trans. there is no TCM. ECM is 19210738 which links to an '07 truck but no VSS in pinout. Tune calibration shows 2008 Silverado 6.0. DBW C6 corvette pedal.
    The odometer was running at warp speed and scanner showed 158 mph constant . Couldn't get it to go over 3500 rpm without experiencing dead pedal and limp mode/rough running. Throws P0010 code.

Think my question here is am I on the right path with below re hardware and electronics before I go over to the GenIV tuning.
    Because the -738 ECM appears to need a TCM, swap to 12633238 ECM with a manual transmission C6 Corvette tune. for the VSS, using a Dakota Digital GPS that has a sine wave output (this manual trans doesn't have any VSS provision).

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    ok, after some internet data mining, the issue of not revving past 4K rpm appears to be the torque management values default to negative with no TCM, which shows in the tune file.

Next up before making the file changes.. 158mph in the scanner and what to do with a TCM-less set up and where to connect the VSS wires.

Tuner in Training
    Looked at a bunch and not clear on whether or not the 2008 OS (12617631) is fully compatible with the segment swap for manual trans?

I initially sent this ECM off in late 2017 (yes, it takes me a long time to get projects done) to a well known tuner in nearby Richmond, VA so would've thought it was done right but things like the torque table and other stuff has me wondering.

Looking ar 4 options would love to get some input on:
    1) does the manual tune work on this particular ECM and truck OS?
    2) would a later (2010 up) ECM with manual tune work?
    3) adding TCM
    4) how to connect a pulse generator like Dakota Dig GPS 50-2?

Goal with VSS input is to feed the speedo from the ecm correctly and open up more tuning (also get rid of pesky defaults like the torque management) .

Advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Carbon; 03-26-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Ive never dealt with a gen4 truck OS manual swap, but have you tried comparing it to a 07-08 corvette manual trans tune? I see some differences in the Speedo tab.

Tuner in Training
    No, I hadn't! Thats great info and thank you. Had been doing searches to see if an '07 manual trans vette used a TCM. If no, then what possible hardware issues (TB, injectors, etc) may occur.. hope this is a winner else wiring in a TCM is it. However, If the 07-08 vette tune work and a lot of people seem to have the 158mph problem, then why aren't others using it to resolve the VSS..

Did resolve #2 is a 'no' per an earlier response in 2020 from Bill in stickies.
    Last edited by Carbon; 03-27-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Just a small update, with the 12633238 ECM and a 2013 manual transmission C6 Corvette tune, the car ran but not well. Copied over some MAP, Airflow, injector, ETC tables from the older ecm and tune and it?s running a whole lot better. Rain started before opportunity for a logging run. Surprisingly, a few jabs on the APP and the engine responded nicely. Was expecting to get a dead pedal because I didn?t swap the wires from previous set up. Cooling fans didn?t kick on but have a PWM module for conversion so what was the end goal now going to happen a lot sooner. Looking forward to a road test for logging and tuning feedback.
    Last edited by Carbon; 03-31-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Just a small update, with the 12633238 ECM and a 2013 manual transmission C6 Corvette tune, the car ran but not well. Copied over some MAP, Airflow, injector, ETC tables from the older ecm and tune and it?s running a whole lot better. Rain started before opportunity for a logging run. Surprisingly, a few jabs on the APP and the engine responded nicely. Was expecting to get a dead pedal because I didn?t swap the wires from previous set up. Cooling fans didn?t kick on but have a PWM module for conversion so what was the end goal now going to happen a lot sooner. Looking forward to a road test for logging and tuning feedback.
    Carbon, I am doing a similar swap and have the exact same 158mph constant speed issue. I'm trying to use a Dakota Digital GPS-50-2 unit to provide VSS. Based on a post on another forum, the "Speed 2" port on the Dakota Digital gives the correct sine wave A/C pulse output and I have it connected to Pin 72 on the ECM. The speed is still registering as 158mph regardless of using 4k, 8k, 16k, 54k, or 128k pulse options. Is flashing from my Silverado Truck OS to a Car OS (such as a Camaro Manual tune) the only way to get this to work?
    Last edited by gofortyeight; 09-17-2020 at 04:41 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gofortyeight View Post
    Wanted to provide an update: I answered my own question about the Segment Swap. Unfortunately, my current Silverado truck OS (12639835) will never have the same operating system id as a vehicle with a manual as it was only ever offered with 4L60/65/70E or 6L80E auto transmissions. I think a full flash to a Car OS (such as a 2011 Camaro Manual - OS 12639270) is required? Any advice?
    Go48!
    Great to hear from you. Can confirm a manual trans vehicle tech2/midi OS flash works (loading an HPT file and write entire over your current set up won't work). I have the low VSS wire connected to port 2 (AC sine wave), the high wire open and it does work. My Dakota unit is set at 128K, hp tuners speedo and the aftermarket gauges coincide. The actual speed is not accurate as I haven't messed with the speedo section in HPT, the VSS wires, or pulse rate at all but I am fairly confident it will since HPT shows the ECM is receiving the signal and speeding up/slowing down with the vehicle motion. If you get a correct speedo configuration, pleeeease message me. Of note: do not do a 2bar OS update unless you are under pressure. that just made getting going immensely more difficult for a beginner like me. I thought (wrongfully) the 2 BAR OS traction control patch might help with an issue that I probably should have been looking to the ETC and torque management section to resolve. All I can tell you is avoid 2010 Camaro flash. I used a 2013 vette flash on a -238 ecm, which sort of worked before the 2 bar OS. Safer bet would be go with equivalent year ecm, engine, comparable vehicle, and flash, which seems to be what you have listed.
    Last edited by Carbon; 04-08-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Carbon, I wanted to follow up that I managed to get (mostly) everything working. I do not have a GM MDI, so instead, I bought a 2014 Camaro SS 6.2L Manual Trans E38 ECM from a junkyard. From there I copied over all the maps from the factory 2011 Silverado tune while making sure to keep the manual transmission edits from the Camaro (such as Engine>Idle>Airflow>Transmission Shift Airflow). The truck engine starts and runs and I'm now getting VSS signal from the GPS. I still have to dial in some settings, but you're absolutely right in that the 5.3L Truck ECM leaves the manual transmission information out of the firmware.

Tuner in Training
    That?s awesome, congrats!
    Your next surprise may be dead pedal/P0606, which appears to be related to the electronic throttle control and different rates a truck and car may accelerate. My technical description may be a bit off but you?ll know if above happens.