Thread: First time tuner. Help me out please

Tuner in Training

Question First time tuner. Help me out please

I have a 2013 Silverado with 5.3. Deleted DOD and VVT and installed a Sloppy Stage 2 cam with eBay longtubes no cats. It actually idled on first start. Ive been messing around with the tune for a week or so now. Ive taken parts from several different uploads on here and the tune repository. Would you guys look at it and tell me what I need to change? This is all idle with some throttle blips. I had to take my cold air off as it was throwing my fuel trims off and was maxed out LEAN.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Get a wideband o2 sensor, you have to have one for tuning something like this. If the intake removal stopped the extreme fuel trim situation start reading up on MAF and VVE tuning for that new camshaft. The vcm scanner section has a few write up's in the sticky pages for MAF/VVE tuning with a wideband.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. So does it look decent for idle or do I need a wideband for that as well?

Tuner in Training
    Your LTFT and STFT are maxed out! adjust them and log it.

Senior Tuner
    Since you are new, it'll be best to do this in steps.
    As you said, the factory cold air intake is the best starting point (or one of the good aftermarket intakes...Airaid, CAI, Volant, will all be good choices on your truck and not cause any major issues.)

Michael Bray just typed this response on another thread similar to yours. It was a first time tuner that needed a good starting point. Hopefully he won't mind if I share it with you as well. It's applicable to your application.

under airflow-dynamic set high rpm disable to 200, and re-enable to 100
    under idle, add 250 rpms to all idle tables
    under idle, base running airflow, double the table, under start up airflow, triple the table(this will overshoot idle airflows, but will keep things happy till airflow is correctly adjusted

Tuner in Training
    Ok i finally got a little time to work on it and got a WB. I'm having problems with dropping below idle after a throttle stab or driving coming to a stop. I'm attaching my current tune and a couple of logs hoping someone can help me out. I know I have a long way to go. Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    I could not open the tune file, says there is a newer version and for me to update my software, don't know why.

Besides that, did you pull a bunch of spark out? In your log, you hardly ever get above 20 degrees anywhere, and when you let off the throttle spark goes way down.

Tuner in Training
    I have the HO spark table set at 20 from 0-2000 rpm down to .36 on airmass. I was just trying to be safe. Could that cause some of my problem? What should I do with that?

Advanced Tuner
    Put HO back to stock.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you made adjustments to the fueling per the previous recommendations? Put the HO spark table back to stock and monitor knock retard. Leave the low octane table stock as well. If you want to pull any spark to be safe, do just a few degrees at the high load areas, but get your fueling close before you start pushing it.

Tuner in Training
    I just put both spark tables back to stock. Ive richened it up. Im gonna try to drive it this afternoon and see how it acts.

Tuner in Training
    I have an idle scan. Didn't get to drive it. The fuel trims go crazy when it goes into closed loop but eventually equalizes. What makes that happen?

Advanced Tuner
    Are your O2's plugged in? They are flat. You have a wideband, force it to stay in open loop and tune off of that. Also, clear your fuel trims before logging, each time to be sure.

Tuner in Training
    yeah they are plugged in. They are oscillating in CL but go flat when it kicks over to OL as there is a fault. How do I force OL?

Advanced Tuner
    Raise the closed loop enable temp to something you won't reach.

Tuner in Training
    gotcha. I wanna get out and drive if the weather will participate.