Thread: 99 Vortec 454 cam swap base tune help

Tuner in Training

99 Vortec 454 cam swap base tune help

I am new to tuning, I just refreshed my 454 and added a ZZ502 cam to it. Ive been able to get it to run but not well. Can anyone give some pointers to get it running good enough to take it for a test drive? It will idle most of the time but likes to stall when in gear or slowing down. It feels under powered compared to the stock 454. Its a 99 K2500 Suburban.99 2500 tune basic changes 3-24-20.hpt
    Thanks Steve

Tuner in Training
    First thing I would do is increase the Base Running Airflow in Engine > Idle > Airflow > Base Running Airflow / Idle Airflow. This should open the IAC more all of the time that its not in adaptive idle and help prevent stalling. You can also increase the throttle cracker airflow in Engine > Idle > Airflow > Throttle Cracker > Airflow to help if you are having problems at specific RPMs / speeds.

Tuner in Training
    Great thanks much for the info. I will give it a try tonight!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 98scintrigue View Post
    Great thanks much for the info. I will give it a try tonight!
    Im still having issues, will run good till it gets warmed up then it dies when I come to a stop or put in gear. I have messed with the VE and changed it from rich to lean and cant figure it out. Im new to this tuning and maybe im missing a setting? Any help will be appreciated.

It's going to take a good amount of time to adjust the fueling with a wideband o2 sensor.

That computer uses both the MAF sensor and the VE table for fueling, so you can't just do changes to one when in the end this type of calibration is mainly MAF based. The VE is more so used in the back ground and with transient fueling.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.