Thread: Car dies after hard throttle and depressing clutch

Potential Tuner

Car dies after hard throttle and depressing clutch

This is a MAF tuned vehicle and I've attached a log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nothing else to add?

Like mods, parts installed etc etc?

Can you post the tune?

Is there is wideband installed?

The log shows it needs a some work, fueling is all over the place based on the short term fuel trims. It's pretty darn rich while idling too, computer is trying to take away 15-20% worth of fuel. I highly suggest you tune the MAF and the VE as it uses both even if you do a "maf only" tune. The VE is used for transient fueling.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Nothing else to add?

Like mods, parts installed etc etc?

Can you post the tune?

Is there is wideband installed?

The log shows it needs a some work, fueling is all over the place based on the short term fuel trims. It's pretty darn rich while idling too, computer is trying to take away 15-20% worth of fuel. I highly suggest you tune the MAF and the VE as it uses both even if you do a "maf only" tune. The VE is used for transient fueling.
    Attached is the tune file and I do not have a wideband installed.

Engine is an LSX427 with Brodix BR7s, camshaft is a CamMotion 243/251 .660/.633 LSA 115.5, FAST LSXR intake and NW 102, 6 speed manual, S60 with 4.10 gears. The fuel system is a single Walbro 450 with C5 fuel filter/regulator and the fuel rail is OEM style.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Try Idle>Airflow>Throttle Cracker>Enable speed 2mph & Disable speed 1mph. Stock settings for 01 Camaro.
    Pretty sure higher numbers cause it to try and achieve idle even while rolling 0 throttle in gear. You can see IAC valve go to zero trying to bring down idle even when its in gear.

Also you will probably need to change fuel>Transient>Min Fuel Milligrams to a lower number for the large injectors. I don't know what value though, Iv never needed to do it yet.

- Dave
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by david_viny View Post
    Try Idle>Airflow>Throttle Cracker>Enable speed 2mph & Disable speed 1mph. Stock settings for 01 Camaro.
    Pretty sure higher numbers cause it to try and achieve idle even while rolling 0 throttle in gear. You can see IAC valve go to zero trying to bring down idle even when its in gear.

Also you will probably need to change fuel>Transient>Min Fuel Milligrams to a lower number for the large injectors. I don't know what value though, Iv never needed to do it yet.

- Dave
    I'm not even sure how to do any of that Dave. The weather finally improved and was able to make a pull up to 6,000 and logged the data. I've been suspecting a fueling issue but the fuel pressure gauge showed no signs of a significant drop in pressure but the engine certainly shows signs of a fueling issue after letting off the throttle and then getting back into the throttle. It sometimes sputters and the car does surge at times when cruising in gear.

It's been a few years since the tuner has seen the car and changes have been made. Air box mod, different heads, thinner smaller head gasket, pushrods lifters, rockers. I've always wanted to know what tuning is all about and hoping to learn along the way.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, fuel pressure isn't your problem as you were suspecting in your other post.

Since you've made more mods you will need to work on that VE table since your STFT are all over the place. Going over the MAF table should be redone also. A wide Band would really be helpful for you for this.

Changing the Min Fuel Milligrams is easy and should be done with those injectors you have. You're at 0.041 now I would change it to 0.010. That seems to work well for me.

There are a lot of good YouTube videos out there now, start typing away and absorb what you learn. All the pieces how things relate to one another in the tune start to come together and experiment cautiously.