Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.7 to 6.4 swap in 13 Ram 1500 Back fire and limp mode

Tuner in Training

5.7 to 6.4 swap in 13 Ram 1500 Back fire and limp mode

Only my second post. I swapped in a 2016 6.4 from a wrecked challenger. I have everything hooked up and the truck starts and runs but is throwing a bunch of codes.

PO300 Random Misfire - I have gone through all vacuum lines exhaust and checked wiring all are good
    P0052 O2 Sensor 2/1 Heater circuit high - The cats are gone but I don't have a tune to remove one of the O2 sensors - How do I do that?
    P0132 O2 Sensor 1/1 Circuit High - same as above
    P0032 O2 Sensor 1/1 Heater Circuit High - same as above
    P2122 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 circuit low
    P0750 LR Solenoid Circuit
    P0846 2-4 or 2C Pressure Switch Rationality
    P0935 Line pressure sensor circuit high
    P0058 2/2 Heater Circuit High
    P0443 Evap Purge Solenoid Circuit

The ECM is the 2013 Ram 5.7 Computer on the 6.4 motor.

Fuel Pressure 54.8
    MAP 9.7
    Spark adv 4.5
    IAT 95 degrees
    TPS% 16.5

I have attached the base tune or what the truck is running off of currently. Any suggestions or direction to get a tune to get it running correctly is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Motor is backfiring and if I try and drive it any it goes into limp mode with the lighting bolt flashing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TunaSRT; 03-25-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Additional information the motor is backfiring and if I try and drive any distance it will go into limp mode

Im pretty sure the Ecm is different between the 13 and 16 , personally i would try to buy the engine with the original ecm

Tuner in Training
    bro use same ecu for that engine

Advanced Tuner
    The +2015 challenger engine controllers are gpec2a...you ram is a gpec2 however I think the 6.4 will work with the gpec. To disable rear o2 max out their ect.

Quote Originally Posted by TunaSRT View Post
    Only my second post. I swapped in a 2016 6.4 from a wrecked challenger. I have everything hooked up and the truck starts and runs but is throwing a bunch of codes.

PO300 Random Misfire - I have gone through all vacuum lines exhaust and checked wiring all are good
    P0052 O2 Sensor 2/1 Heater circuit high - The cats are gone but I don't have a tune to remove one of the O2 sensors - How do I do that?
    P0132 O2 Sensor 1/1 Circuit High - same as above
    P0032 O2 Sensor 1/1 Heater Circuit High - same as above
    P2122 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 circuit low
    P0750 LR Solenoid Circuit
    P0846 2-4 or 2C Pressure Switch Rationality
    P0935 Line pressure sensor circuit high
    P0058 2/2 Heater Circuit High
    P0443 Evap Purge Solenoid Circuit

The ECM is the 2013 Ram 5.7 Computer on the 6.4 motor.

Fuel Pressure 54.8
    MAP 9.7
    Spark adv 4.5
    IAT 95 degrees
    TPS% 16.5

I have attached the base tune or what the truck is running off of currently. Any suggestions or direction to get a tune to get it running correctly is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Motor is backfiring and if I try and drive it any it goes into limp mode with the lighting bolt flashing.

Do some comparing. airflow and injector data
    13 J GC 6.4.hpt
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    Another thing to note is the 5.7 PCM assumes that full cam advance is 125 degrees but on a 6.4 it is 134 degrees so you will need to offset the exhaust VVT tables by ~9 degrees.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post587987

You have some work to do to your base tune. Your engine type still shows 5.7. My recommendation to you is to look over coanan's tune and pretty much copy everything over except the engine diagnostics and transmission related parameters.
    Last edited by Homer; 03-29-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Tuner in Training
    All thank you. I am going to work through the coanan's tune and the info over and write it to my PCM.

I am using the 13's computer because the 16 and 13 do speak different languages in the CAN when it comes to operating the rest of the vehicle. Using the 13 allows me to keep the AC -Radio - Headlights etc. Then tune the motor to a 6.4. I also have a module in the truck to run the 8 speed transmission as mine was originally a 6 speed. I have been working on this along with other modifications on the truck for over 2 year. I will keep you all updated and again thank you for the input. Stay Safe.

Tuner in Training
    I spent the day yesterday transferring data from the 6.4 tune to my base line and then saving. I was able to push it to the truck yesterday, but wasnt running any better. I tried making some adjustments in the fuel, but it only got worse.
    I truly believe it is because something I did incorrectly in the tune. Any help taking a look for my mistake would be greatly appreciated.
    Stay Safe.64tune with revised data.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by TunaSRT View Post
    I spent the day yesterday transferring data from the 6.4 tune to my base line and then saving. I was able to push it to the truck yesterday, but wasnt running any better. I tried making some adjustments in the fuel, but it only got worse.
    I truly believe it is because something I did incorrectly in the tune. Any help taking a look for my mistake would be greatly appreciated.
    Stay Safe.64tune with revised data.hpt
    What got changed and what stayed the same on eng?
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like OP copied everything over including engine diagnostics (OP posted his base tune in his first post). One thing I noticed is the engine displacement is now 6.4 which I think you should leave as 5.7...the engine size and type should be 6.4. Also, if you want to disable the rear O2 sensors maximize this value.
    o2 disable.JPG

Did you reset the adaptive after you loaded the tune? Also, what codes are you getting now.

I wonder if you might need a pre-2015 6.4 wiring harness...just looking them up on mopar parts sites show a change after 2015.

One way to check the harness is to look up the pinouts here:
    http://connectors.dcctools.com/

Or check the online chilton manual here:
    https://mcdowellpubliclibrary.org/chilton-auto-repair/
    Last edited by Homer; 04-01-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Looks like OP copied everything over including engine diagnostics (OP posted his base tune in his first post). One thing I noticed is the engine displacement is now 6.4 which I think you should leave as 5.7...the engine size and type should be 6.4. Also, if you want to disable the rear O2 sensors maximize this value.
    o2 disable.JPG

Did you reset the adaptive after you loaded the tune? Also, what codes are you getting now.

I wonder if you might need a pre-2015 6.4 wiring harness...just looking them up on mopar parts sites show a change after 2015.

One way to check the harness is to look up the pinouts here:
    http://connectors.dcctools.com/

Or check the online chilton manual here:
    https://mcdowellpubliclibrary.org/chilton-auto-repair/
    Need to know how much of the 6.4 he used, truck or car intake, inj. I didn't do any wiring changes when I put the 2017 RAM 6.4 in mine, but I used my front timing cover and didn't use the intake.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Need to know how much of the 6.4 he used, truck or car intake, inj. I didn't do any wiring changes when I put the 2017 RAM 6.4 in mine, but I used my front timing cover and didn't use the intake.
    I know on the challenger forum, there were guys swapping in a hellcat motors and there were issues with slight harness changes through the years...or so the guys over at Steve White Parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I know on the challenger forum, there were guys swapping in a hellcat motors and there were issues with slight harness changes through the years...or so the guys over at Steve White Parts.
    Using complete HC eng you would need to do some wiring.

Tuner in Training
    I used the complete motor and plugged it up with my 2013 harness. I went through the 392 harness and found 2 capacitors in the 392 harness that are not in the truck 13 harness. I will need to try and find how to wire those into the harness or first if they are 100% needed. It would seam if they are there it would be for a reason. I have not gone through the chilton guide yet but will do that next.

I went through the 392 tune and copied over to my tune as best I could. In some instances I couldn't get the data I placed in my tune to stay as I wrote it in the tune. The program would change it back to the original value.

I pushed the revised tune and I did not reset the adaptives.I am going to go back and make the change to the 5.7 as mentioned in Homer's post and push the tune back to the truck and then reset the adaptives. Once I have that I will run the truck and record codes if they change. Currently it is still showing the same codes I was having previously.

I have changed the O2 plugs in the headers and I am going to change the MAP sensor. The current MAP is new but not a MOPAR sensor it came from Oreilly auto and did not have the mount to bolt it to the manifold and that has worried me about it being able to make correct reading. I just received the new MOPAR part yesterday.

I am also going to max those values for the rear O2 sensors. I wasn't sure where to max the values but with the pic included I got it.

Homer and Coanan thanks for the help I am 100% new to this and I don't mind being told I am doing something wrong. I haven't been able to find anyone local that knows anything about doing a swap.

I will post an update shortly.
    Stay Safe

Tuner in Training
    Why does the tune editor add 1 to the value I place in the field. I put 375 degrees for the rear o2 sensor and when I saved the file it bumped it to 376 degrees.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure but what drive me nuts is you when you don't make a change and then go back and compare to an older tune and the compare log comes back with a list of parameters that have been changed, only to discover it is off by 1 or 0.1.

As for being new to tuning dodge...join the club. I have had HP tuners for 2 years now and I still feel like a noob.

Advanced Tuner
    BTW all the pinout info can be found in the mopar connect repair site I posted...just lookup power train module (connectors C1 & C2).

Tuner in Training
    I made the changes in the tune and pushed it. It still is backfiring constantly and sounds like it is knocking.
    Codes P0443 evap purge generic permanent
    P2127 and P2122 both for the accelerator pedal position sensor that are generic permanent.

I haven't been able to drive the truck enough to get rid of the permanent codes.

I guess a good thing is the random miss code 0300 is gone. I hoped that when I got rid of that code the backfire would be gone.

I noticed that I can't get it over 4000 rpm don't know why?

I am including the tune and the run if anyone sees something that stands out as odd or stupid please let me know.
    run 57 64 422020.hplsix four tune using conanan tune info 57 displacement and maxxed o2.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Could it be the PCM still thinks it is in park/nuetral? When I had my supercharger tuned using diablo my first tune would not let me go past 4000rpm (I have a manual trans). The tuner fixed it but never told me why, well when I got HP tuners I discovered it was the park/nuertal RPM limit. My point being, is if the PCM does not know it is in drive it will refer to that table for RPM limit. You can try bumping it up to 6400 to see. Also see if you can log torque source to see what might be limiting the higher RPMs.

Tuner in Training
    Homer - that could definetly be the source of the 4k limit. The truck has an 8 speed in it now with a seperate control module for the transmission. Currently the PRNDL flashes back and forth as it gets info from the original PCM telling it is not in park and info from the new module saying it is in Park and then this continues when the vehicle is in drive.
    That is another bug I am trying to fix. I thought with the HP Tuner I would be able to tell the computer there is a manual transmission and get it to stop looking for the 6 speed, but I haven't been able to figure that out yet. Would that be part of your tune info in the transmission section?

Have a good day.