Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.7 to 6.4 swap in 13 Ram 1500 Back fire and limp mode

Advanced Tuner
    For trans there are some switches in the trans tab. Not sure what you would have to set though. Although just saw a stock tune from a 2013 5.7 with 8 speed in the repository and it has 8 speed selected by the layout appears different.

trans.JPG

BTW have you looked into alfaOBD...there might be some settings in the BCM you might have to change as well.
    Last edited by Homer; 04-03-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    help me out some what is alfa OBD and the BCM

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TunaSRT View Post
    help me out some what is alfa OBD and the BCM
    AlfaOBD is software that works with an OBD interface like OBDlink MX+ that allows you to change vehicle configurations through the BCM. There are pages and pages of posts on the Ram forum showing what it can do.

https://www.alfaobd.com/

Not 100% sure you absolutely need it BUT it might let you change things...like if park/nuetral switch is used. It is also a very powerful diagnositic tool that can talk to all modules and check for faults that HP tuners may not catch.
    Last edited by Homer; 04-04-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I got the app, but now I need a different code reader the one I have and the mpvi doesn't work with alfaobd. It looks like it will help me clear up a lot of other nuances on the truck and even on my wife's Pacifica.

Tuner in Training
    The truck keeps backfiring. I have changed all of the plugs and coil packs and was not getting any DTCs. I then started unplugging coil packs to try and find the cylinder that was causing the back fire. Went 2 through 8 and didn't see any change in backfire or how the motor was running until I pulled #8 and it killed the motor. Plugged 8 back up and started going 1 through 7 when I pullled #3 the backfire was gone, plug it back up and it reappears. If I leave 3 off no backfire, but then a whole litany of codes start throwing

P0013 - Exhaust (B) Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open (Bank 1) (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0032 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 1) (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0038 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1, Sensor 2) (Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0052 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 1) (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0058 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2, Sensor 2) (Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0123 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P018D - Fuel Pressure Sensor B Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0198 - Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0222 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0443 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit (Pending, Permanent)
    0x7E8: P0520 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit (Pending)
    0x7E8: P0523 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P2008 - Intake Manif Runner Ctrl Circ/Open Bank1 (Pending)
    0x7E8: P2016 - Intake Manif Runner Pos Sens/Switch Circ Low Bank 1 (Pending)
    0x7E8: P2122 - Throttle/Pedal Pos Sens/Switch D Circ Low Input (Pending, Permanent)
    0x7E8: P2127 - Pedal Pos Validation Switch 2 Low (Pending, Permanent)
    0x7E8: P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Pos Sens/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation (Pending)
    0x7E8: P2314 - Ignition Coil E Sec Circ (Pending)

I understand the code for the coil as I unplugged it but not sure why the others are coming up other than I have a some bad wires and with moving the harness around I disturbed them enough to cause all of these codes.

The other thing is at idle the truck is only running on or firing these cylinders: 25425415317315373173173173153153173173154254154154 1541531731
    I pulled that off of the current firing cylinder.
    I would like to think I am getting somewhere with this but feels like I am getting worse or going backwards.

My current plan is to again:
    1. go through all of my wiring
    2. Check all of my wiring plugs at each sensor. I know I have a lot of plugs that are missing the red clip. I have a harness on order to replace the entire thing much of my stock harness was damaged by my dumb ass trying to get plugs off and being frustrated. I have tried unpinning plugs and have not had much success.
    3. OHM out the injectors and see if possibly #3 is not happy
    4. Turn off MDS. This would make the engine run on all 8 and fire in all 8 order rather than the random 4 that is running currently.
    EDIT THE MDS HAS BEEN OFF WHY AM I ONLY FIRING ON SOME CYLINDERS?
    What should my timing be set at and where exactly is it that I set it in the editor. I have dodge beginners book, but I need the dodge for dummies book. Thanks for the help homer and coanan
    Last edited by TunaSRT; 04-06-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Update, the motor is running good, the PRNDL is flashing less after I grounded some of the 6 speed signal wires getting closer through trial and error and everyones help. I am still having trouble with the 4k limit on the transmission I have pushed the PN limit up to 6464rpm, but I haven't done the logging of torque sources as I am not sure how to do so. If you can point me in the direction to log the correct information. Thanks again.

Advanced Tuner
    To see if you have the torque source PID just go to VCM scanner while plugged into the car and select add parameter and type source.
    source.JPG

As for your RPM limit, I wonder if enabling some of the CAN communications might help but then again it might require correct wiring up of the trans.
    can.JPG