Thread: 78 D100 5.7 Hemi Swap No Crank Issue

78 D100 5.7 Hemi Swap No Crank Issue

Hello, gurus.

Swapped a 2010 LX 5.7 hemi (6.4 manual trans cam) with a 2006 545RFE from a Ram. Using a 2011 Ram 5.7 PCM and a Hotwire Auto harness. Got it all wired up and I'm getting a no crank issue. Trans is in park and I'm depressing the brake (using the proper brake switch). Fuel pump primes and the throttle does its thing, but no starter trigger. I verified that it is still getting power while the ignition switch is engaged. I first thought it was the SKIM, but sent that out to be removed, and still no crank.

Any ideas? Please see the attached file.

Thanks,
    Greg

1978_5.7_D100_Modified_Tune Disable_SKIM2.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried re-enabling "Skim Capable" to see if you get cranking back? Disabling SKIM in the calibration doesn't do what you might be thinking or wanting it to do.

Only way to actually disable SKIM is by sending the PCM out to a specialized shop that deals in disabling SKIM on Mopar platforms. It's done in the RAM of the PCM, not the ROM. Flipping the disable switch in the VCM Suite editing software will simply result in a no-crank situation like you currently have.

Thanks for the reply, Boostjunky. I had that switched off before sending the PCM off for SKIM removal and never changed it back. I'll give it a shot. When I send the updated file do I choose the SKIM Disable for Retrofit or just Write Calibration?

Thanks,
    Greg

Just used Write Calibration and no dice. Still no crank.

Thanks,
    Greg

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopwer View Post
    Just used Write Calibration and no dice. Still no crank.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Sorry to hear it, my friend. Has the engine ever cranked at any point in your retrofit process?

Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    Sorry to hear it, my friend. Has the engine ever cranked at any point in your retrofit process?
    I only hooked power up to the starter solenoid to prime the oil pump. That is the only cranking I've got out of it.

Thanks,
    Greg

I only hooked power up to the starter solenoid to prime the oil pump. That is the only cranking I've got out of it.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Skim will not cause a no crank. Do you have 12 volts at the starter main battery led? If you apply 12 volts to the solenoid does it crank?
    You can inbox me. I can probably get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmoney View Post
    Skim will not cause a no crank. Do you have 12 volts at the starter main battery led? If you apply 12 volts to the solenoid does it crank?
    You can inbox me. I can probably get you going.
    Hello, Kmoney.

When I primed the oil system, I just connected 12 volts to the solenoid on the starter and it cranked. I can also ground the start relay on the harness and it will crank.

Thanks,
    Greg

I emailed Chris at Hot Wire Auto. He sent me the pin outs for the coolant temp sensor and throttle pedal as I was getting High/low out of range CEL codes for those and there should be nothing wrong with them. He also mentioned that they reprogram the PCMs to work in a Hot Rod application (at an additional charge), so I asked what that entailed as I have HP Tuner and can change it myself.

Chris has been very responsive to my questions and I'd recommend them if you are needing a harness. The harness was extra long and if I'd have known that, I'd have requested it to be 18 - 24" shorter, but oh well. Just FYI for anyone looking into it.
    Last edited by Mopwer; 03-27-2020 at 08:50 AM.

No response from Hotwire Auto on the PCM changes that are needed ro run on this harness. Probably won't get one. Any ideas? I noticed an option for Start over CAN Bus? My harness is getting a 12v signal so I assume that should be turned off? None of the modules are in the harness (BCM, FCM, etc.), but I don't see that stopping it from starting. Would probably just throw codes.

I have to imagine someone on here has done one of these swaps and knows what changes need to be made in the PCM.
    Last edited by Mopwer; 03-27-2020 at 09:55 PM.

No response from Hotwire Auto on the PCM changes that are needed ro run on this harness. Probably won't get one. Any ideas? I noticed an option for Start over CAN Bus? My harness is getting a 12v signal so I assume that should be turned off? None of the modules are in the harness (BCM, FCM, etc.), but I don't see that stopping it from starting. Would probably just throw codes.

I have to imagine someone on here has done one of these swaps and knows what changes need to be made in the PCM.
    Im going to inbox you my number

Tuner in Training
    Did you find your answer yet? I'm working with 2010 challenger and also 2009 Charger PCM etc for my current conversion. To Crank both require the Wireless Ignition Module (with key) connected to TIPM via CanC. Also CanC between TIPM to PCM. For PCM set as "automatic transmission" you also need the Electric Shift Module in Park ( and CanC connected) For PCM set in "manual transmission" only need PCM clutch interlock grounded.

If you need more help - post or message

( I've put hemi in older vehicles before )

Thanks for the info, Acln99. Are the Ram PCMs the same way? Were you using a stock harness? I'm using a Hotwire Auto harness and no mention of the need for the wireless ignition module from them when ordering my harness.

After going back and forth with Chis at Hotwire Auto, I mentioned that I had a 2011 PCM. Sounds like that is my problem. When I ordered the harness, I told him that I had a 2010 Ram PCM, I was mistaken. Thought they were the same since they were still using the 545RFE and NGC4(A) at that time. I guess I was mistaken again. So, now I'm looking to get the correct 2010 PCM. I'll have to try to sell the 2011 to recoup some $, but I'll be in the red on that deal (paid for SKIM removal and the 2 HPT credits).
    Thanks,
    Greg

Tuner in Training
    Greg - Please check your Private Messages and give me a call -- Tony

So what did you ever find out with your problem? I'm having the exact issue you did

think you need to remove skim with j2534 toolbox. its nothing hp tuners can do. its in theft mode surely unless that company modified the pcm for you first.