Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TuningSchool Dodge transmission book

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    That?s all they talk about on duty cycle? Add a small percent to the 1-2 shift duty cycle and that?s it? Kind of a waste.
    There is a page gives an overview of shift pressure but it is very general...boils down to...if you want firm shifts, you can adjust shift pressure by increasing duty cycle table.

There is then 1/2 page where they say the throttle position % is not the correct description (they claim it is defined incorrectly in HP tuners) in the duty cycle table but instead it actually reflects engine torque (I assume they mean engine torque %).

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, there are a lot of the 8spd tables that aren't quite right....
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Yes, there are a lot of the 8spd tables that aren't quite right....
    I don't recall seeing the throttle % in the duty cycle being called out as incorrect on the forum though. Speaking of not right, there are even errors in the software itself and between beta and stable versions. For example the stable version of editor apparently reports displacement incorrectly compare to beta on some vehicles. Support confirmed this.

Banned
    Shift duty cycle is based off of turbine torque on the RFE.

Advanced Tuner
    But what is the definition of turbine torque? I know what it's supposed to be.....

On the 8spd logging turbine torque doesn't work for any of the tables that are labeled that way. Haven't tried it on an RFE as the only RFE I have access to barely has any channels at all, certainly not turbine torque....

A lot of half-assing all-around when it comes to FCA tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I don't recall seeing the throttle % in the duty cycle being called out as incorrect on the forum though. Speaking of not right, there are even errors in the software itself and between beta and stable versions. For example the stable version of editor apparently reports displacement incorrectly compare to beta on some vehicles. Support confirmed this.
    Maybe we should start a thread called "Known errors with Dodge definitions and channels in HP Tuners"?

The problem is that some calibrations are mapped really well (Hellcat) and others are not...

Banned
    But what is the definition of turbine torque? I know what it's supposed to be.....

On the 8spd logging turbine torque doesn't work for any of the tables that are labeled that way. Haven't tried it on an RFE as the only RFE I have access to barely has any channels at all, certainly not turbine torque....

A lot of half-assing all-around when it comes to FCA tuning.
    Calculated value, not certain how it derives the value. It?s available to log on my truck but I?m pretty limited on what I can log on my truck with the VCM scanner as it?s not tuned with HP Tuners.

Banned
    Maybe we should start a thread called "Known errors with Dodge definitions and channels in HP Tuners"?

The problem is that some calibrations are mapped really well (Hellcat) and others are not...
    Seems to be a common theme. More emphasis is focused only on specific vehicles, very popular vehicles, everything else it?s more of throw a couple sticks at it and run away.

Logging airflow on my truck with the VCM scanner, they have the conversions completely wrong. lbs/min is actually kgs/min, their scaling is right messed up there.

Advanced Tuner
    They don't make that distinction. I am quoting the book here:

"The shift pressure increases with engine torque output and RPM typically. Although the screenshot below (shows an image of ECM46102 - duty cycle 1-2), the columns are defined, incorrectly by accident, as throttle position %, they actually reflect engine torque as they do in other similar applications."

Although looking at the table it is pretty obvious that it is not throttle % because in the example it goes up to 291.9.

So if the label is wrong shouldn't it be fixed...guess that would require a support ticket request?

Advanced Tuner
    Seems to be a common theme. More emphasis is focused only on specific vehicles, very popular vehicles, everything else it?s more of throw a couple sticks at it and run away.

Logging airflow on my truck with the VCM scanner, they have the conversions completely wrong. lbs/min is actually kgs/min, their scaling is right messed up there.
    Not long ago I sent support a ticket to look into VCM editor stable and beta as they each were reporting displacement differently. In the end it was beta that was correct but no mention if it was fixed in the stable version (I tend to use the latest betas anyway)?

Banned
    Lol the copy I ordered landed at a facility 3 hours away, was supposed to be delivered today and is now set to be delivered Monday.

Advanced Tuner
    USPS is winning.

Banned
    I used UPS. Been sitting at 3 hours away since yesterday 4am. Stupid UPS.

Banned
    Shows departed from that facility at 10 am yesterday then arrived back at that facility at 10am today.

Tuner in Training
    Got mine! As a newb I found the material informative and useful.

Banned
    Attached is my shift scheduling spreadsheet I use for the 68RFE. If you look in the 3-4 & 4-3 Shift tab you'll see an error in there if you look at the graphs, why I like to have graphs to look at to be sure I don't have any up/down shifts intersecting each other.
    Last edited by Jim P; 09-19-2020 at 11:45 PM.

Attached is my shift scheduling spreadsheet I use for the 68RFE. If you look in the 3-4 & 4-3 Shift tab you'll see an error in there if you look at the graphs, why I like to have graphs to look at to be sure I don't have any up/down shifts intersecting each other.
    I'm curious how much information is really in that book, my guess is not enough as per usual. As for your spread sheet Jim it's very well done. I've never seen graphs in excel before, it's brilliant.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    I'm curious how much information is really in that book, my guess is not enough as per usual. As for your spread sheet Jim it's very well done. I've never seen graphs in excel before, it's brilliant.
    Really not much information in it at all for my application.

Advanced Tuner
    I'd be interested in a used copy if someone wants to recover some of their purchase price.

Banned
    Not sure what their shift calculator is supposed to do, follow the instructions on the 66/68RFE calculator and every button, mild, moderate, aggressive, towing, all change nothing.