Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TuningSchool Dodge transmission book

Advanced Tuner

TuningSchool Dodge transmission book

Anybody know what the holdup is on this book?

It's been coming soon for months now.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Anybody know what the holdup is on this book?

It's been coming soon for months now.
    It took over a year for the tuning school to come out with the 5.7/6.4 engine tuning course so it probably will take a while.

Senior Tuner
    The question is will the info be very useful when it comes out. The 8 speed tuning is pretty complex and many I see take a similar approach that's really not the best.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrtuning View Post
    The question is will the info be very useful when it comes out. The 8 speed tuning is pretty complex and many I see take a similar approach that's really not the best.
    Well if the info is anything like the engine controller tuning course I'll pass.

Advanced Tuner
    There is hardly any real info on these transmissions aside of adjusting shift points.

Having played a little, I wound up mostly returning my tune back to stock. It seems that there is still a hug lack of understanding of how everything works together and how the trans adaptives come into play.

I will say this for sure - if you play around with pressures/times and then flash it back to stock - you MUST reset the adapatives and SHOULD do at least a fast learn before driving around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    There is hardly any real info on these transmissions aside of adjusting shift points.

Having played a little, I wound up mostly returning my tune back to stock. It seems that there is still a hug lack of understanding of how everything works together and how the trans adaptives come into play.

I will say this for sure - if you play around with pressures/times and then flash it back to stock - you MUST reset the adapatives and SHOULD do at least a fast learn before driving around.
    Depends on the transmission, NAG1 Chrysler has a drive pattern they recommend be followed after ANY time the TCM is reflashed in addition to the mandatory quick learn procedure if I remember correctly. While the 68RFE Chrysler only mentions recommending a quick learn any time the TCM is reflashed. The 68RFE TCM, the adaptives gets reset every time it is reflashed.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess I was mostly talking about the ZF8 trans as I believe there is some limited info for the Nag1 that is held pretty close to the vest.

Banned
    Most stuff with these modern day transmissions is kept pretty tight to those who have the information

Senior Tuner
    I would be surprised if much detail was released on ZF8. I have gone through thousands of revisions on different cars experimenting with ZF8 and so many things work together that it takes a ton of time to gain an understanding of it. You can make those things shift crazy fast and hold up to a lot of power when done right though. The HP70 can hold up to constant abuse even at high power also if tuned right so don't let people trick you into thinking they are weak.

I think you see so much more damaged because the OEM tune on them is not really good for boost so more burn up the clutches in them. Hellcat or Trackhawk tunes are close enough they can survive a lot more on near stock trans tunes. I think it's the 4-5 clutch they burn up first on mostly stock tune with just raised pressure but it takes them a while to fail it seems like. Just depends how many pulls at those speeds the person does and at what power level.

Advanced Tuner
    Having seen some things, it looks like some of the "tuners" just dial the adaptive goals up so high that the adaptives simply max out on the ZF8.

Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Senior Tuner
    They aren't really helping much. I usually reduce the torque values for adaptive to nearly nothing and then just dial in all the shift timing and torque management for each gear. Allowing a lot of adaptive control just seems to lead to inconsistent shifts for me. Like you mentioned, I have seen that many people do seem to allow a lot of adaptive control though

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like this book is finally going to see light on 9/15/20.

Pre-orders available now.

https://thetuningschool.com/collecti...e-transmission

Potential Tuner
    For those looking for details, see below!

Supported Transmissions:
    5 Speed (45,545RFE,A580/NAG1)
    6 Speed (68RFE)
    8 Speed (ZF8HP series of transmissions)

Supported Vehicles:
    Ram 1500 trucks from model year 2006 and up with 45/545RFE, A580, NAG1, ZF8HPxx are supported.
    Ram 2500/3500 Trucks all model years with the 68RFE Transmission are all supported.
    Dodge performance car line is fully supported (Charger, Challenger) R/T 5.7L, SRT 6.4L, SRT Hellcat 6.2L, Redeye 6.2L, Demon 6.2L
    Jeep Wrangler, Trackhawk 6.2L

Processes include:
    Shift Schedule (When the upshifts and downshifts happen) as well as an easy to use Excel spreadsheet with the required conversions for easy tuning.
    Understanding Torque Capacities of transmissions
    Recognizing factors of time and normal wear that relate to choosing a Torque Management amount that meets your desired outcome
    Shift firmness
    Shift time
    TCC (Torque Converter) Lock/Unlock
    Understanding how a shift happens, and the process of the shift from initiation to completion
    Analyzing shifts using the VCM Scanner to quantify how a shift "feels" when stock and also when tuned well to help you progress in your tuning.

Banned
    Should be interesting to read.

I have an excel book I use for shift schedules but only find it useful for when in lockup as when unlocked slip can vary depending on torque being produced which plays on engine rpm so it becomes a bit tricker to account for in excel.

I personally run and prefer keeping the converter locked during upshifts from 2nd gear and upwards on my 68RFE so the tricky part for me is keeping the shifts quick yet still smooth with the full lock upshifts.

Tuner in Training
    Well, I'm super interested in that info but it's a bit steep IMO for me to have just for my own vehicle. Be nice if it was available on a per-trans basis.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh@TTS View Post
    For those looking for details, see below!

Supported Transmissions:
    6 Speed (68RFE)
    8 Speed (ZF8HP series of transmissions)

Supported Vehicles:
    Ram 1500 trucks from model year 2006 and up with 45/545RFE, A580, NAG1, ZF8HPxx are supported.
    Ram 2500/3500 Trucks all model years with the 68RFE Transmission are all supported.
    Dodge performance car line is fully supported (Charger, Challenger) R/T 5.7L, SRT 6.4L, SRT Hellcat 6.2L, Redeye 6.2L, Demon 6.2L
    Jeep Wrangler, Trackhawk 6.2L

Processes include:
    Shift Schedule (When the upshifts and downshifts happen) as well as an easy to use Excel spreadsheet with the required conversions for easy tuning.
    Understanding Torque Capacities of transmissions
    Recognizing factors of time and normal wear that relate to choosing a Torque Management amount that meets your desired outcome
    Shift firmness
    Shift time
    TCC (Torque Converter) Lock/Unlock
    Understanding how a shift happens, and the process of the shift from initiation to completion
    Analyzing shifts using the VCM Scanner to quantify how a shift "feels" when stock and also when tuned well to help you progress in your tuning.
    Will any of this be applicable to Jeep Wrangler's '05 and up with the 42RLE? I've had success with modifying the shift points on my '06 but can't seem to raise the WOT shift points. I've tried raising the 80 and 100 TPS/RPMs with no luck.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh@TTS View Post
    Does it include how the upshift and downshift offsets are calculated, and how to control them so that you can get the transmission to shift where you want it?

Tuner
    Date on this book coming in less then a blink of an eye!
    My ride.. 2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black ⚫, Centerforce Clutch RIPx2 now Ram Clutches!, Full Adjustable BMR suspension, Solid mounted Cradle and Diff, DSS 1PC DS, Level 5 Axles, Belanger Headers, AFR500V2, Lowered, 180 Tstat, RonDavis Rad, Staggered tires.

I preordered one. It shipped today.

Quote Originally Posted by ramdart74 View Post
    I preordered one. It shipped today.
    Let us know when you get it and if you think it'll help us "know nothings" figure everything out.
    Two (now Three) Hemi's, an 05 5.7 Magnum, an 06 300C SRT8 and an 06 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all somewhat modded. The 5.7's are modded almost the same with advanced (10* for Maggie and 6* for the Jeep) FRI Sidewinder cams/6.1 valve trains, ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SC, DS and HP Tuners, headers, cat. backs, underdrive pulleys, SOS coils, catch cans, 90 mm throttle bodies, plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff. 06 300C SRT8, Comp. Cammed, HPT tuned, Foose wheels, 85 mm TB.