Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TuningSchool Dodge transmission book

Quote Originally Posted by HemiX2 View Post
    Let us know when you get it and if you think it'll help us "know nothings" figure everything out.
    will do, they put out a video.

https://thetuningschool.com/blogs/ne...UHVkNGNIIn0%3D

Banned
    Not much of a video

Banned
    Some actual examples or showing a few things out of the book would have been better than talking about a spreadsheet that any monkey can make that appears to exclude tire size and axle ratio for those that run different sized tires and gearing and talking about how everyone will benefit from it without really showing how or why everyone will benefit from it.

It seemed pretty like a pretty thin book, for as much info its supposed to have. Will see i guess

Banned
    Agreed, looked a bit skimpy in size for the price.

Another thing to note with their spreadsheet, which sounds like you gotta take their course to get, the values it gives for engine rpm is only applicable with a locked converter. Having an unlocked converter your engine speed will be higher, especially the more load/slip you got at a given moment while unlocked. My spreadsheet I made I include tire size and axle ratio as well as comparison charts to help visually see I don?t have any overlap between gears on up/down shifts.

Banned
    I don?t know if they?ve factored this into their calculators for the RFE transmissions, no sure what it?s like on the ZF or NAG1, but conversion factor. Having your entered data fall in line with conversion factor affects accuracy of outputted engine rpm. Not a crazy amount but can make a difference of a few mph for those in the racing end that have very targeted speeds for shifts. If the desired value inputted into a shift table doesn?t fit the conversion factor it will just automatically round to the closest number that fits in the conversion factor in HP Tuners, or should as it seems all other tables do. On the RFE?s, every increment/decrement of 1 in hexadecimal is equal to 32rpms and the values are stored in 8 bit. Max rpm you can input would be FF in hexadecimal, or 255 in decimal or 255*32 = 8160rpms output shaft speed.

Might be a bit overkill for most looking to choose their shift points but it?s something I like to factor in.
    Last edited by Jim P; 09-15-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. The first half of the video about OSS speed tuning made me think I don't need this. But the second half made me think it might be worth it.

I want to see what happens when folks start commanding those 1st and 2nd gear shifts just before redline based on OSS to rpm calculations.

I hope the calculator has something to account for shift lead time.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Banned
    I?ll clean up my spreadsheet and post it up, I got tire size calculations on it for adjusting speedo, show engine rpm and vehicle speed at shift points.

Recieved the book today, for me i think it will be helpful, Comes with a download with all the files, VCM channels. spreadsheet and some stock tunes to look at.

Banned
    Mines due to arrive tomorrow, I?m mainly interested in their take on the acceleration ramp rates and shift duty cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Mines due to arrive tomorrow, I?m mainly interested in their take on the acceleration ramp rates and shift duty cycles.
    I havent seen anything on that yet, Just started looking through it.

I would like to see your take/review of it. I am just learning, it would nice to see it through the eyes of someone whos done there own tunes.

I am going to end up with more questions. I enjoy doing track days. and love going down the gears as much as goin up. I tried a few tunes, some a crisp rev matching downshifts and some were lazy, slow. I have seen anything in the book about downshifts. Is it the same just opposite?

Advanced Tuner
    Downshifts are just the other side of the table on the 8 speeds.

Banned
    As far as the RFEs go you got the downshift tables and that?s about it. The rest for downshifts isn?t mapped out. Downshift quality, etc is heavily adaptive controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Downshifts are just the other side of the table on the 8 speeds.
    I get the shift schedule part. I just wonder about pressures, torque, and slip downshift tables.
    Last edited by ramdart74; 09-17-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did anybody buy the companion videos? Are they any good?

Advanced Tuner
    IMO the trans tuning should have been part of the PCM tuning. I just received the trans tuning book last night and the 545rfe section is pretty light. If you remove the screenshots from HP tuners and single space the text it would all fit on like 5 pages. They breakup the tuning into mild, moderate, aggressive and tow but in the shift pressure section they use about a page to explain the differences which I can summarize in 4 lines. I swear these books are written like they need to meet a page count requirement.

Mild - add 2% to 1-2 duty cycle
    Moderate - add 4% to 1-2 duty cycle
    Aggressive - add 6% to 1-2 duty cycle
    Tow - add 5% to 1-2 duty cycle

I mean there are 3 pages used to show how to reset all adaptives in VCM scanner. I guess they are writing if for folks who are completely clueless on how to use HP tuners?

I really can't complain though considering they are the only ones offering any info on tuning FCA vehicles...at least that I could find.

Banned
    That?s all they talk about on duty cycle? Add a small percent to the 1-2 shift duty cycle and that?s it? Kind of a waste.

Advanced Tuner
    Is the 8hp70 similar? Please tell me it's better than that.

Also, note my signature....
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    Is the 8hp70 similar? Please tell me it's better than that.

Also, note my signature....
    Pretty much the same.