Thread: 2017 Tundra FFV Magnuson Supercharged

Potential Tuner

2017 Tundra FFV Magnuson Supercharged

Hello All,

I've got a 2017 Toyota Tundra FFV with a Magnuson Supercharger that was just installed a little over a month ago. I'm running a tune that came with it from Magnuson using HPTuners. I'm having what I believe is some pinging/detonation that only seems to be happening while in high gear, low RPM scenarios when moderate throttle is applied. I assume this is something that can be corrected with modifying the tune, but I have no clue where to start. Can I take my truck to any tuning shop that works with HPTuners or can anyone recommend a place to me? I'm in the Phoenix area. Let me know if there is any additional info that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tuner
    Don't want to waste your time with any basic items but are you using the recommended octane for that kit and tune?

I would also recommend asking bullydog or unichip about the tune.

I'd also look at this thread from this forum https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ota-Repository
    2002 NBM WS6
    APS F-BODY TWIN TURBO KIT
    317 Heads
    60# Mototron Injectors
    HPTuners tuned by Sean@Solid-Technology, Abq NM
    610 RWHP DYNOJET on 7.9PSI

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FIL131 View Post
    Don't want to waste your time with any basic items but are you using the recommended octane for that kit and tune?

I would also recommend asking bullydog or unichip about the tune.

I'd also look at this thread from this forum https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ota-Repository

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out that thread you mentioned.

Yes, I'm using 91 octane (best we have here in Phx). I've also tried adding some Torco in the first tank of fuel thinking that a bad tank of gas may have been causing the issue. I've put on about 1500 miles so far and it still happens only in that scenario (high gear, low rpm) with moderate throttle applied. I've heard that the bullydog had it's own issues with the magnuson tune. Magnuson just switched from using Bullydog to HPTuners recently. There is a local tuning company called DynoComp in Scottsdale that said they can modify my tune, but their price seemed very high - just wondering what my options are at this point to have it looked at and correct the tuning if any adjustments are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTundra View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll check out that thread you mentioned.

Yes, I'm using 91 octane (best we have here in Phx). I've also tried adding some Torco in the first tank of fuel thinking that a bad tank of gas may have been causing the issue. I've put on about 1500 miles so far and it still happens only in that scenario (high gear, low rpm) with moderate throttle applied. I've heard that the bullydog had it's own issues with the magnuson tune. Magnuson just switched from using Bullydog to HPTuners recently. There is a local tuning company called DynoComp in Scottsdale that said they can modify my tune, but their price seemed very high - just wondering what my options are at this point to have it looked at and correct the tuning if any adjustments are needed.
    Normally, if you had a log and copy of the tune we could see what's up - not sure how Magnuson sends out their tunes since the switchover from Bullydog, do you have an MPVI2? (I assume not?)

Unfortunately, unless you want to go through the process of buying an MPVI2 and getting up to speed on HPTuners, your only resort is to take it to someone to have it looked at (or find someone to do it remotely); either case is not a cheap proposition.

I've heard a couple complaints about this exact thing since the switch, but no verdict on if its the calibration or some other change in the kit that's caused them to start having problems. Could speculate on other sources all day long, but without data it's just speculation.

Tuner in Training
    Hello im currently working on a tune for my 16 ffv supercharged with long tube headers and catless midpipes, I will be posting a base as soon as i do my testing on it. This is my first toyota tune so im really going through it good. Might take a couple weeks cause i dont have much free time. I will be doing some more road tuning today.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmike575 View Post
    Hello im currently working on a tune for my 16 ffv supercharged with long tube headers and catless midpipes, I will be posting a base as soon as i do my testing on it. This is my first toyota tune so im really going through it good. Might take a couple weeks cause i dont have much free time. I will be doing some more road tuning today.
    I have exactly the same truck with the same setup and would be very much interested to know your findings, especially with transmission tuning.

Kindly check post 39:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...pository/page2

Potential Tuner
    its a numbers game. to tune your vehicle. ~$200 in credits. the MPVI2 is ~$300 thats $500 for you to do it.

remotely, still need the tuner and credits.($500) Plus whatever they charge on top for the time they spend modifying your file.

owning the tune files/ and hardware allows for future tweaking of the tune.

Tuner in Training
    I do remote tuning maybe i could help you out for that just pm me.

Potential Tuner
    My brother is a master tech with Toyota. Biggest complaint they get from customers getting the SCs installed is the non-stop noise they produce.