Thread: best way to hook up aem 30-0300 wideband

best way to hook up aem 30-0300 wideband

Like i said in title.... have this (aem 30-300) wideband and little knowledge on best way to hook it up so it can be usefull at logging.(early e38) I figured to feed the 5v signal through the AC sensor pressure return signal but there goes my ac unless its temporary.
    its got all sorts of possibilities but not all so clear on posts ive read , running a base mpvi2 (not pro). what are my options-
    please keep it in "easy to understand" as new to this tunning stuff- i don't mind doing the homework but no fun being sent on a vague search.

Advanced Tuner
    Use the CAN buss outputs to the Pro Link cable. Thats what i would do.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
    Like i said in title.... have this (aem 30-300) wideband and little knowledge on best way to hook it up so it can be usefull at logging.(early e38) I figured to feed the 5v signal through the AC sensor pressure return signal but there goes my ac unless its temporary.
    its got all sorts of possibilities but not all so clear on posts ive read , running a base mpvi2 (not pro). what are my options-
    please keep it in "easy to understand" as new to this tunning stuff- i don't mind doing the homework but no fun being sent on a vague search.
    Get a 30-0334 for CANbus compatibility. MPVI2 Standard can read that. OR upgrade to Pro and connect the wideband via the prolink cable.
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 03-29-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

well both those options requiring buying...either a new mpvi pro (600) or new aem 30-0334.
    wish i could return and buy the other AEM but been a few months i have it- so i'm out of luck-

too bad i cant flash it to new CANbus standard and just pigiback on aldl.

Since there doesn;t seem to be an egr pin on gen4 e38...guess im going ac pressure sensor- its only temporary guess i need to be ok with that!

Advanced Tuner
    I think Dr. Mike can flash it for you, so it can work through whatever CAB buss protocol you want to use. There is a whole thread about it.

Senior Tuner
    yea some info here to change the firmware dr mike https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-0300-Wideband

Advanced Tuner
    How early is this E38?
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    how early is this e38?
    2008 g8

Advanced Tuner
    2008 g8
    The 30-0334 will work on that. I tuned a 2008 with that wideband and I was able to monitor it with HTP in the scanner.

reading over the instructions of the AEM 30-300 seems; if i understand:

Can I feed the serial signal into VCM by plugging it in through the rs-232 port of laptop (actually would go in through an adapted rs232 to usb converter)
    Then add channel in vcm-> external input->serial port->AEM AFR

Is this correct? much easier than feeding it in from sensor.

***eventually ill see if i can get a hold of Dr.Mike and flash the firmware to new Can protocol.....too bad its not an online option like most other "adapters/electronic gadgets".

Advanced Tuner
    You can use serial, but you will also need a USB hub to plug both the serial to USB adapter and MPVI. Also, using serial you only get 10 bits per second, using CAN buss, you get 100 bit per second, a much higher and faster resolution. CAN buss is the way to go if you can swing it.