Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2.0TFSI Engine build + HPtuners?

Tuner
    So it turns out my intake runner flaps in the B9 manifold was actually touching the cylinder head and couldn't operate at all, and that was why it was throwing the code
    The potentiometer voltage is just as I mentioned different from the B8 manifold but it seems the ECU can compensate for this, so no need for any scaling. But this means I have been running the car with fully closed flaps all the time

I have also tried to tweak the thermostat a bit to try to get it to open just a bit earlier with then intention to have better margin for knock.
    Right now its running around 96degC instead of 98-99degC as before.

I did a quick log to try to understand the throttle lag when rolling to an intersection and getting back on the throttle. The only thing I notice in the log is a delay of around 1s between accelerator pedal and TB angle. Have anybody tried to improve on this with the auto or DSG trans?

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    How come you never go above 66% pedal? And at some points in your run 50% pedal is requesting over 200 load.... can you post your tune?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    How come you never go above 66% pedal? And at some points in your run 50% pedal is requesting over 200 load.... can you post your tune?
    Yeah the shy pedal was a driver error. I was mostly looking for the driveability stuff. Those short pulls when I'm not giving it full throttle have always felt like they pulled harder and I imagine thats when I have seen the most boost as well. But that does certainly not explain why its requesting a load of 200.

Found a bunch of oil around the stock PCV valve today and decided to switch to the africa plate for the catch can setup, hopefully that can alleviate some of the potential boost leaks.

The tune is basically the last one you sent me Tyler. Have been enjoying it alot the last couple of weeks. Driveability is much better than before and the cruise control doesn't act all crazy anymore!

The tune and a new log with the throttle pinned to the floor and the updated PCV attached.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay that makes more sense now

for your Tip in lag it could be some of the torque delay scalars i would look first at ECM14118 and some of the other tables associated with it

Hope this helps

Tuner
    Tyler,

Is there a way to get a list or legend of the tables that are mentioned? I see you say look at the ECM14118 table... but where is that? I may stumble across it eventually but it would be nice is there was an index that one could use to jump (or at least find the main of!).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Botbasher; 06-08-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexOlen View Post
    The tune is basically the last one you sent me Tyler. Have been enjoying it alot the last couple of weeks. Driveability is much better than before and the cruise control doesn't act all crazy anymore!

The tune and a new log with the throttle pinned to the floor and the updated PCV attached.
    Alex...

Don't be shy... let it fly!!!! I totally concur... Tylers Base tunes ROCK!!!

How's the PCV update working? You checking it for oil regularly? As a hint, I notice the smell of burned oil when it's just about full. Don't ignore that!

Cheers!

KS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Botbasher View Post
    Tyler,

Is there a way to get a list or legend of the tables that are mentioned? I see you say look at the ECM14118 table... but where is that? I may stumble across it eventually but it would be nice is there was an index that one could use to jump (or at least find the main of!).

Thanks!
    Sorry i guess we are all still learning the software haha, but under the edit tab in the top there is a navigator (Ctrl + N) then just type the ECM # e.g. "14118" and it will open the map

Navigator.jpg

Tuner
    Sorry i guess we are all still learning the software haha, but under the edit tab in the top there is a navigator (Ctrl + N) then just type the ECM # e.g. "14118" and it will open the map
    Trying to learn fast!!! That File Compare button was the total bomb when I found it!!! This will help too!

Thanks!!!

KS
    Last edited by Botbasher; 06-08-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Tuner
    Alex...

Don't be shy... let it fly!!!! I totally concur... Tylers Base tunes ROCK!!!

How's the PCV update working? You checking it for oil regularly? As a hint, I notice the smell of burned oil when it's just about full. Don't ignore that!

Cheers!

KS
    Haha yes I'll try to improve on my pedal skills

Regarding the PCV I mounted the adapter plate just yesterday. I have maybe 2h of run time on so far, the test rip yesterday with some decent pulls and about 1.5 high way driving today. No visible smoke or smell on idle so thats good. I never did check it the oil filler cap wanted to go to the moon or not, but the dipstick is still there at least
    But it is pulling alot of oil. After 2h driving the catch can had filled maybe 1/4 which is way too much for how I'm using the car.

This is what my setup look like right now:
    PCV_setup.jpg

I need to figure out some additional baffling or maybe even an oil return line. Don't really like the idea of returning water and fuel to the oil pan but what was in the catch can looked like pure oil. Don't know how it will look during winter though.

Tyler, thanks for the hint on the TIP in, I'll see if I can make time to try it out tomorrow.

Cheers!

Tuner

Navigator.jpg
    I'll just pretend I already knew this....

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mukhery View Post
    My current setup
    Code:
                                            ---> one-way valve -> out to pre-turbo inlet (under boost)
    Crankcase -> PCV plate -> catch can --->
                                            ---> Wagner adjustable PCV valve -> out to intake manifold (under vacuum)

Crankcase <- one-way valve/vacuum regulator <- filter <- fresh air (under vacuum)
    Mukhery....

Would you happen to have some pics or diagrams of this setup?? I'm trying to wrap my head around it and am having a harder time that I probably should! Do you have 2 completely separate lines or lots of Tee's?

After getting my F23L installed and mostly tuned I still see some oil in the can, although it is no longer frothy, and I'm investigating some possibilities for stopping it or at least limiting it to somewhat stock-ish volumes.

Thanks!

KS

Tuner
    I'll just pretend I already knew this....
    I do that a lot, but I like to join in the conversation and searching for 30 minutes to find a table was starting to wear!

Tuner
    This is what my setup look like right now:
    PCV_setup.jpg
    Nice placement on the can. Is that yours or is that kit specific? I love how short the lines are!

Mine is much less frothy now that the big turbo was installed. We're into the humid season here, so I'll have to wait and see if it holds, but if it was turbo related, I might be tempted to try the oil return set-up.... might.

KS
    Last edited by Botbasher; 06-08-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Tuner
    Nice placement on the can. Is that yours or is that kit specific? I love how short the lines are!

Mine is much less frothy now that the big turbo was installed. We're into the humid season here, so I'll have to wait and see if it holds, but if it was turbo related, I might be tempted to try the oil return set-up.... might.

KS
    I bought all components individually and made a small bracket for the can. I don't actually like that cheap ebay can so I have another cheap ebay can, or tank coming soon
    Yeah I imagine the short lines are better for avoid freezing and keeping pressure drop down.

I'll try making a new baffle plate for the underside of the breather plate to see if that helps limit blowing all the oil out of the engine.

Tuner

I'll try making a new baffle plate for the underside of the breather plate to see if that helps limit blowing all the oil out of the engine.

If you come up with something that works well, please document it out. I have been thinking of making a set of baffles for it (I have a full stainless shop at work!) but haven't had the time to investigate it properly.... I guess I've just become used to checking it now.

Cheers!

KS

Tuner in Training
    Would you happen to have some pics or diagrams of this setup??
    Here's a picture of my setup. Crankcase pressure first goes from the spulen v2 adapter plate to the lower port on the catch can. Then it goes out the top port followed by either the intake manifold or the pre-turbo inlet depending on whether or not there's vacuum in the intake manifold. The hose on the top with the filter is the clean air intake. Connected to the filter is a vacuum pressure regulator and then it connects to one of the head cover ports with the plastic tab removed.
    pcv_system.jpg

Tuner
    Here's a picture of my setup. Crankcase pressure first goes from the spulen v2 adapter plate to the lower port on the catch can. Then it goes out the top port followed by either the intake manifold or the pre-turbo inlet depending on whether or not there's vacuum in the intake manifold. The hose on the top with the filter is the clean air intake. Connected to the filter is a vacuum pressure regulator and then it connects to one of the head cover ports with the plastic tab removed.
    pcv_system.jpg
    Thanks for the picture. Nice setup you have got going there! Lots of goodies! What are those engine mounts? They look quite firm

I'm just about to try my second modified PCV version, IF it works any better than before I'll let you know.

Tuner in Training
    The mounts are from 034 (link). The vibration after deleting the balance shafts is pretty noticeable, but it's great at the track! Do you notice much vibration in your car?

Tuner
    pcv_system.jpg
    Hey Mukhery!!!

OK.... I am trying to follow the plumbing but missing the lower half of the party!

Where does the orange line go? I presume that it goes to the bottom of the can?

What is the yellow line? Is yellow associate with the PCV?

So you are not using the through port on the PCV plate that would normally return to the intake... you did that with the purple line, correct?

I think that was the part I was missing in my head... I was trying to use all the existing ports and couldn't see how!

Thanks for the explanation and the patience!

KS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I attached a clarifying image for you. Orange is the inlet, purple is the outlet, yellow is the oil drain which connects to a port I made on the secondary oil separator (link).
    catchcan.png