Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0TFSI Engine build + HPtuners?

Tuner
    Here is the log from the first test drive!
    Idling was probably back to normal after the test drive, some learning maybe? I've actually always thought the idling on this car has been a bit rough.
    It was probably not pulling as hard as before during the pulls but felt a bit smoother during normal driving.
    One thing I noticed was that it felt a bit harsh when letting of the throttle.
    After a very brief study of the log I see that the throttle blip is gone!
    Boost is a bit lower than before. Still need to study the logs more but just wanted to post the log.

@TylerJDubbs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexOlen View Post
    Here is the log from the first test drive!
    Idling was probably back to normal after the test drive, some learning maybe? I've actually always thought the idling on this car has been a bit rough.
    It was probably not pulling as hard as before during the pulls but felt a bit smoother during normal driving.
    One thing I noticed was that it felt a bit harsh when letting of the throttle.
    After a very brief study of the log I see that the throttle blip is gone!
    Boost is a bit lower than before. Still need to study the logs more but just wanted to post the log.

@TylerJDubbs
    no logs?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    no logs?
    Sorry, here it is:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, here it is:
    Looks pretty good other than the one spot at 7:22:00 where there is up to 8* of retard on two cylinders.... no idea whats going on here because its mega rich and timing was already decently retarded.

Other than that it looks really good, we are seeing peak enrichment at peak torque with about 3-5* more advance than the old tune was running. your car doesn't seem to hold boost very well up top i think some tweaking of the waste gate duty is going to be needed. can you log waste gate duty cycle and requested TIP? if not open a ticket with support and get them added.

Your binary seems to have a much different boost control setup than mine so i made a small change to [ECM] 14857 - Wastegate Manual Control Duty Cycle just to test out if you're interested

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDC.hpt

Tuner
    Looks pretty good other than the one spot at 7:22:00 where there is up to 8* of retard on two cylinders.... no idea whats going on here because its mega rich and timing was already decently retarded.

Other than that it looks really good, we are seeing peak enrichment at peak torque with about 3-5* more advance than the old tune was running. your car doesn't seem to hold boost very well up top i think some tweaking of the waste gate duty is going to be needed. can you log waste gate duty cycle and requested TIP? if not open a ticket with support and get them added.

Your binary seems to have a much different boost control setup than mine so i made a small change to [ECM] 14857 - Wastegate Manual Control Duty Cycle just to test out if you're interested

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDC.hpt
    I will need to open a ticket for those parameters. Yeah the difference in wastegate control was what lead me to believe mine was disabled all together.
    And yes it feels really lazy up top, better with your tune than before though! Sure I'm happy to test it out.

I was wondering if there is a way to enter injector trim codes with HPtuners? I replaced the injectors while rebuilding the engine. Had a clogged one and replaced them all together. Still stock injectors though. But I never managed to enter the new trims codes for each injector. Or is that just a diesel thing? Never found a way to do it in VCDS.

Advanced Tuner
    I will need to open a ticket for those parameters. Yeah the difference in wastegate control was what lead me to believe mine was disabled all together.
    And yes it feels really lazy up top, better with your tune than before though! Sure I'm happy to test it out.
    We should be able to figure it out, glad to hear you are enjoying the tune

I was wondering if there is a way to enter injector trim codes with HPtuners? I replaced the injectors while rebuilding the engine. Had a clogged one and replaced them all together. Still stock injectors though. But I never managed to enter the new trims codes for each injector. Or is that just a diesel thing? Never found a way to do it in VCDS.
    I dont think this is something you need to do

Tuner
    Here is the latest log.

Felt better
    But maybe need to ramp it in earlier? Look at the spike at the end of the pull at 07:39:11/00:07:16.

The when comparing back to the tune I had before I am confused. Boost is higher around 2.6bar in some short pulls but then during my 2-3-4 gear pull its much lower than when we have now. I made a quick rough comparison of the three calibrations, just RPM and TIP so far but look at this:

RPMComp.PNG TIPComp.PNG

Is my but-dyno really that off saying that the car was pulling harder before?!

Advanced Tuner
    Here is the latest log.

Felt better
    But maybe need to ramp it in earlier? Look at the spike at the end of the pull at 07:39:11/00:07:16.

The when comparing back to the tune I had before I am confused. Boost is higher around 2.6bar in some short pulls but then during my 2-3-4 gear pull its much lower than when we have now. I made a quick rough comparison of the three calibrations, just RPM and TIP so far but look at this:

RPMComp.PNG TIPComp.PNG

Is my but-dyno really that off saying that the car was pulling harder before?!
    hmmmm, looks the same to me.... if you wanted to do a quick check of what table the WG duty is referencing we could try running 0 in [ECM] 14857 to see if its even a part of the calculations for normal operation

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDC00.hpt
    Last edited by TylerJDubbs; 04-29-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Tuner
    hmmmm, looks the same to me.... if you wanted to do a quick check of what table the WG duty is referencing we could try running 0 in [ECM] 14857 to see if its even a part of the calculations for normal operation

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDC00.hpt
    OK, I thought the boost peak at then end of the pull was a result of the changed WG duty cycle since you changed it at that high engine speed in the table.
    Sure I'll give it a try, but it will have to be tomorrow because I've already started celebrating the progress

As to what I can see you have shaved of 3.5s 50-150km/h, can't really get my head around that since it feels so smooth
    Didn't expect that the first day...

Thanks a bunch!

SpeedComp.PNG

Tuner
    New log from the 0WGDC tune. Can't say i felt or see any major differences in the log, but I've been wrong all the other times so

Advanced Tuner
    New log from the 0WGDC tune. Can't say i felt or see any major differences in the log, but I've been wrong all the other times so
    Okay, seems that map isn't the one being referenced then.

I lowered the desired waste gate canister pressure in the higher end of the exhaust mass flow in this next one to see if it will raise boost pressure/duty in this one.

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDCTest2.hpt

Tuner
    Okay, seems that map isn't the one being referenced then.

I lowered the desired waste gate canister pressure in the higher end of the exhaust mass flow in this next one to see if it will raise boost pressure/duty in this one.

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDCTest2.hpt

Here is the latest log:

Tuner
    I wonder if when going over 4950 rpm it's going into forced WG mode and since my forced duty cycle table is zeroed out that my WG is fully open?

Advanced Tuner
    I wonder if when going over 4950 rpm it's going into forced WG mode and since my forced duty cycle table is zeroed out that my WG is fully open?
    I think this table may only be used in manual transmission Binaries

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDCTest3.hpt

I did more of a bandaid fix on this one than anything else by raising the amount the boost PID system can correct and also increased the rate at which its able to correct for under boost in high RPM's i did this for the initial tune in my car before i took the time to fully understand it.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, regarding the P2015, the potentiometers in the different manifold is not giving the same resistance. To my knowledge the B8 potentiometer goes from 0.45 to 4.5V and the B9 goes from 1.35 to 4.15V. I did try to prototype a op-amp scaling circuit which I mounted in-line with the sensor potentiometer but I think I missed something with how the pull-up 5V is affecting the circuit. Right now I'm considering routing the wires to my arduino and scale the voltage with that, that would however need a low pass filter to try to mimic a truly analog signal from the PWM output from the arduino (if I'm not mistaken). But on the other hand it seems easier to just turn off the MIL. I wonder how this effects which maps are used though...
    If the flaps are functioning differently than expected that could change your cold start and possibly idle behavior. There's probably a virtual device driver in the ECU software that would allow you to change the min/max voltage reference points, but you'd probably need to buy the user-defined parameters feature and a super map pack for your ECU to find it and change it.

I've deleted the flaps on my car and I've had success making the Fuel -> Open Loop -> After Start -> Base lambdas richer to get a smooth cold start.

Tuner
    I think this table may only be used in manual transmission Binaries

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod+WGDCTest3.hpt

I did more of a bandaid fix on this one than anything else by raising the amount the boost PID system can correct and also increased the rate at which its able to correct for under boost in high RPM's i did this for the initial tune in my car before i took the time to fully understand it.
    Log file from this tune. Still can't say I see any difference except I managed to do a 1-2-3-4 pull and the I think the trans reduced torque between 1 and 2.

I need to compare better to ELaw's calibration since I think he has a similar trans.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mukhery View Post
    If the flaps are functioning differently than expected that could change your cold start and possibly idle behavior. There's probably a virtual device driver in the ECU software that would allow you to change the min/max voltage reference points, but you'd probably need to buy the user-defined parameters feature and a super map pack for your ECU to find it and change it.

I've deleted the flaps on my car and I've had success making the Fuel -> Open Loop -> After Start -> Base lambdas richer to get a smooth cold start.
    Yeah, I'm quite convinced that the flaps operate as intended mechanically, it's just the monitoring which is not working. Not sure though how the ECU reacts to that. I think it might be cumbersome to get the re-scaling done through HPtuners so I'll probably end up building a RC filter and do it through the arduino.

But good to know that I can get the cold starts working even without the flaps, thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Log file from this tune. Still can't say I see any difference except I managed to do a 1-2-3-4 pull and the I think the trans reduced torque between 1 and 2.

I need to compare better to ELaw's calibration since I think he has a similar trans.
    this one should pack a little bit more of a punch if more boost is what you're after

AlexOlen_B8-A4-2LDSG-8K2907115P_0008-TylerMod-Rev2.hpt

Tuner
    Tyler.... Is this the same awesome guy that was helping me muddle though my poorly thought out tuning choice?? The same one that talked me into buying HPTuner??? Well... I finally did it!!

Alex... I am not jacking your thread... I have a question for you!

I got the very same error about not being able to read the ECU. I know it is tuned (Stage 2) and likely locked, but I am now wondering after reading your post if it's more that my ECU isn't yet supported.

How did you go about getting HPT to support your ECU? Mine is a 8K2907115AG (2011 CAEB 6MT)

I'm going to start analyzing your logs and hpt files to start wrapping my head around the process. I've tuned many MegaSquirts, but this is a whole new beast for me. Tyler pointed me in the right direction, now it's all getting it to make sense!

Thanks for any input and assistance!

Ken

P.S. if we can get the ECU to read, I have base Stage 1, 2, 3 and a K04 tune I can add to the pot! If not I'll sit down and manually transfer them over, but that may take a while!

Cheers!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Botbasher View Post
    Tyler.... Is this the same awesome guy that was helping me muddle though my poorly thought out tuning choice?? The same one that talked me into buying HPTuner??? Well... I finally did it!!

Alex... I am not jacking your thread... I have a question for you!

I got the very same error about not being able to read the ECU. I know it is tuned (Stage 2) and likely locked, but I am now wondering after reading your post if it's more that my ECU isn't yet supported.

How did you go about getting HPT to support your ECU? Mine is a 8K2907115AG (2011 CAEB 6MT)

I'm going to start analyzing your logs and hpt files to start wrapping my head around the process. I've tuned many MegaSquirts, but this is a whole new beast for me. Tyler pointed me in the right direction, now it's all getting it to make sense!

Thanks for any input and assistance!

Ken

P.S. if we can get the ECU to read, I have base Stage 1, 2, 3 and a K04 tune I can add to the pot! If not I'll sit down and manually transfer them over, but that may take a while!

Cheers!
    Welcome to the group

As tempting as it may be to start from someone else's "base file" its only a good idea if you know and understand all the changes they made from a stock binary version.

The preferred method is to learn and modify the binary yourself but if you want to post up some files im sure no one is going to get upset

I also have this for you to have a look at

B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AG_0002-Stock.hpt