Thread: Loss of Timing

Tuner in Training

Loss of Timing

Im working on cold starts on this LS swap. It was way rich and Ive got it down some and will continue working it. My problem is something is pulling timing and I cant seem to figure it out. Can some one look at this scan and tune and point me in the right direction?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Is it just at an idle where the timing retard occurs? If so, it's likely the Spark overspeed table. You might log the IAC position on the next start datalog just to see where it is.

Out of curiosity, are you using the stock type MAF? It seems odd that the MAF curve is lower than stock, but the VE table is significantly higher than stock at upper rpm. What fuel pump are you running?
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 03-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The stock MAF is the 3wire 85mm. Someone removed it in the harness. The file was in SD and had the MAF tables zeroed. I put the 5 wire maf in its place. So Im basically reverting it back. Its also not the LS1. Its a LQ4 punched to 6.2L. So ive repopulated the maf table with a different tune and started re calibrating it. Also if you can look at my graph lay out. I for some reason have changed something and cant get my log to read more than one cell. The pump I dont know. I didnt build this one. I think its a Walbro pump from Tanks inc. As it sits when in CL the trims look really good. Long terms are a bit richer than Id like but the short terms stay very close to zero.

The data logs are missing lots of stuff.

You don't have any of the channels in there that are telling you how much timing it wants to run and any of the timing channels that will tell if it's removing timing for whatever reason.

Did you remove the knock sensors from this engine??

Also add cylinder airmass, injector pulse width avg, commanded AFR or EQ ratio.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.