Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some guidance 06 5.9 cummins auto. stock

Quote Originally Posted by darens View Post
    So what is better then. Less fuel pressure with longer pw and more timing or higher fuel pressure with shorter pw and less timing? I would think more fuel pressure would be better for atomization but why dont you just ramp up the rail pressure a lot faster then what some of these tunes are showing. Is it hard on the pumps and injectors?
    Yes it does increase wear some but it also takes more power to drive the HP fuel pump to make that higher pressure. What if it takes 5% more energy to make that higher pressure but you only gain 3% efficiency? It's a balancing act more than anything especially in the cruse region, you could spend weeks dialing in a small area for max efficiency. Only to have it be thrown off again if a cold front moves in. The OE's deal with this by adding tons of different injection and timing configuration's based on these changing conditions. They spend tons tuning and gathering data from all over the world, you are one man. My advice for maximum mileage is make some changes and log it over a long drive and then average it, then do that same stretch again with new changes and analyze your data for effective changes. As far as your data log you're looking very stock with during cruse, -1.8* @1700rpm with 600US Main injection. Maybe Bump up timing around 0* in that area and see how it feels and sounds to you. Also look at what I've circled on your data log, do you see anything that could use improvement? Remember what we mention earlier in this post about injector Pulse width vs timing during WOT, You're seeing 6* @ 3000rpm with a PW of 2400us. Your fuel pressure is also low when compared to commanded around 2800 RPM and WOT, this is worth adjusting.Tuning tips.PNGTuning Tip Fuel pressure low.PNG
    Last edited by JaegerWrenching; 04-14-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Banned
    If I remember correctly it only takes like 3 horsepower to run the cp3 at full capacity.

Banned
    The ?line pressure? you circled is transmission line pressure, FYI. Nothing to do with the engine.

Tuner in Training
    ok so I have just been taking is slow so far. I have changed a lot in the fuel pressure and inj pw and injection timing. I just wanted to make sure im going in the right direction and everything is still safe. Without having a wideband and egts I just don't know if there is any tattle tell signs that things are not working together. I have not seen any bit of smoke yet but the truck does pull a lot harder than it did before

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    The ?line pressure? you circled is transmission line pressure, FYI. Nothing to do with the engine.
    I agree it has nothing to do with the engine but i thought it was low for the engine RPM and current demand at that specific moment, i wanted to ask your opinion on it but forgot as it was late. As for parasitic draw of a CP3 i don't know the exact numbers but the Ford 6.7l A2.l has draw for a cp4.2 at 30nm from 1500rpm-4000rpm. Exactly how accurate that is i don't know for sure. The cp3 does have a 3 pump design compared to the 2 pump design of a cp4.2, so it should be more efficient i would think, but again i don't have that data. If Ford's numbers are correct which it seems to be pretty accurate according to my data, it is worth lowering pressure sometimes for better overall efficiency.

ok so I have just been taking is slow so far. I have changed a lot in the fuel pressure and inj pw and injection timing. I just wanted to make sure im going in the right direction and everything is still safe. Without having a wideband and egts I just don't know if there is any tattle tell signs that things are not working together. I have not seen any bit of smoke yet but the truck does pull a lot harder than it did before
    stop messing with your PW table set it to stock and post your tube file

Tuner in Training
    I know im new and im trying to learn but if the pw table doesn't add more fuel than what table do you use to add more fuel? do you just adjust fuel pressure or is just the pedal map or what am I looking for? I have look at other peoples tunes on this forum but they are just all over the place and nothing looks like it compares to each other so I am starting from scratch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    I agree it has nothing to do with the engine but i thought it was low for the engine RPM and current demand at that specific moment, i wanted to ask your opinion on it but forgot as it was late. As for parasitic draw of a CP3 i don't know the exact numbers but the Ford 6.7l A2.l has draw for a cp4.2 at 30nm from 1500rpm-4000rpm. Exactly how accurate that is i don't know for sure. The cp3 does have a 3 pump design compared to the 2 pump design of a cp4.2, so it should be more efficient i would think, but again i don't have that data. If Ford's numbers are correct which it seems to be pretty accurate according to my data, it is worth lowering pressure sometimes for better overall efficiency.
    The 48RE line pressure is based off output shaft speed, increased as speed goes up. At that particular point in your screenshot, it could possibly read that low depending on what the oss is and the converter not being locked up. Line pressure reads about 96psi when in lockup.

Banned
    I know im new and im trying to learn but if the pw table doesn't add more fuel than what table do you use to add more fuel? do you just adjust fuel pressure or is just the pedal map or what am I looking for? I have look at other peoples tunes on this forum but they are just all over the place and nothing looks like it compares to each other so I am starting from scratch
    Of course adding pulsewidth increases fueling. Just don?t go smoothing out the pulsewidth table and pissing around with the entire table for stock injectors. If you want to add fuel, raise your limiter tables, this will automatically get you some more fuel without touching the pulsewidth table. In the pulsewidth table add pulsewidth from 120mPA upwards and from 80mm3 upwards, this will add fueling in your top end.

Banned
    Your pulsewidth table is what defined your injectors fueling characteristics. Will the stock table 100% truly match your stock injectors? No. But it?s very very close, there will be variations due to manufacturing tolerances, etc. etc. Stock injectors, unless you are willing to pull them out and send them in for full mapping and still have to average out the sum of all 6 injectors, not worth pissing around with the entire table for stock injectors in my opinion.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so I get what you are saying about the pw table. That makes sense. What limiter table should I be focusing on. The way everything is labeled is not like im used to on all of the stand alone ecus im used to dealing with. Would it be the boost limit A table. Which would be quantity limit based on boosts pressure and rpm. The pedal map steady state or transient? Im just not for sure which these tables that have more control. I have tried some other things out with small changes to see what moves but I am not getting the outcome that I am looking for.

Banned
    They all come into play, it?s not just one limiter table but all of them. Raise up only one you can end up being limited by another.

Tuner in Training
    So I just got done playing with all of the limiter table that I could find. None of them are making the changes I am looking for on the data log. Right now the pw table I set back to stock but I was having better luck with adjusting that. I just don't know what I am missing. Jim is there a way I could just give you a call and pick your brain for a few mins?

So I just got done playing with all of the limiter table that I could find. None of them are making the changes I am looking for on the data log. Right now the pw table I set back to stock but I was having better luck with adjusting that. I just don't know what I am missing. Jim is there a way I could just give you a call and pick your brain for a few mins?
    Post your tune file so he can actually help you if he decides to.

Tuner in Training
    7th limiter adjustment.hpt

So here is my tune. i dont know how this helps you. Its all jacked up because i am just to the point is to adjust every limiter i can find just to try and get more fuel to this thing.

Banned
    Want more fuel in with basically all limiters out of the way, here. It's not refined or anything and can use some driving and adjusting. Use your throttle to fuel tables to limit fuel based on rpm.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Ok I will take a look at it in the morning. Is there a way you can explain what you did? I do appreciate it

Tuner in Training
    Nevermind I looked at it and seen what you did. So is the only thing that is controlling the fuel injectors is the pedal map?

Banned
    The 25% and 50% rows of the throttle to fuel tables, highly doubt you?ll really notice much difference at all playing with those rows, 0% row must remain at 0mm3. You can use the 100% row to cap max total fuel allowed under full throttle. The rest between 0% and 100% is regulated by control algorithms to deliver what ever fuel it needs to maintain a given engine speed, accelerate to a higher engine speed or decelerate engine speed from the throttle input.

Banned
    Your throttle is the base point of how much fuel to inject for a given position and engine speed. It gets further modified by the ecm in like a PID loop to adjust that base point from the throttle to maintain engine speed. You can hold 30% throttle at say 1600rpms on a flat ground and negating all environmental influences, the ecm will hold the same amount being injected to maintain that 1600rpm. Hit a downhill slope and keep the 30% throttle held the ecm will lower injected fuel to try to maintain that 1600rpm, hit an up hill and the opposite will happen, it will inject more fuel to maintain that 1600rpm. Of course there are limits to how far it will self regulate and will require further adjustment commanded from the throttle