Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Mustang GT 3V 4.6L tuning

2007 Mustang GT 3V 4.6L tuning

Extremely green in this section, worked on cars my whole life but never got into tuning with HPtuners. I'm gonna do it though on a 2007 3v 4.6l mustang, just a straight pipe and cold air right now but I read up on Eric Brooks article and have been researching on what the parameters mean and how i change them to make my car perform better although there is very little information on my car on this forum and just around the internet in general. Does anyone have any tips on tuning 3v mustangs? Any tips on hptuners in general would be appreciative. Very eager to learn about all this. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Start with your MAF tuning, it is the foundation for the car, it should be the only thing you really need to change to make it run well with the CAI. Once you have that nailed down you can start looking at other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Start with your MAF tuning, it is the foundation for the car, it should be the only thing you really need to change to make it run well with the CAI. Once you have that nailed down you can start looking at other stuff.
    Where do I even start with tuning my MAF? what needs to be changed and what do the values need to be?

I know that I need to multiply the ID of my intake tube with some pi formula but I'm not sure where to change the numbers

Start by finding the data for your cai and input those data points. Then you can log eq ratio vs maf to come up with your correction factor

Advanced Tuner
    3v maf error.jpg

Try this, voltage comes directly from the row labels in VCM editor under the following tabs: Engine>Airflow>General: Airflow vs. voltage button. You can copy the logged values from VCM scanner and "paste special" multiply by percent. It will take a few permutations this way but it will get you there.
    Last edited by B E N; 04-04-2020 at 09:19 AM.

3v maf error.jpg

Try this, voltage comes directly from the row labels in VCM editor under the following tabs: Engine>Airflow>General: Airflow vs. voltage button. You can copy the logged values from VCM scanner and "paste special" multiply by percent. It will take a few permutations this way but it will get you there.
    Thanks, do I keep logging data for stft and copy that data into my airflow v voltage table multiple times until theyre stable? Also, for the "values" it won't let me copy or paste anything. There is no where to type.

Advanced Tuner
    You have to select the parameter before you can enter values.

The MAF becomes sort of a moving target, as you change other things in your tune it may shift a little. I just always copy my MAF correction over in every tune itteration. Once your below 5% it doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

You have to select the parameter before you can enter values.

The MAF becomes sort of a moving target, as you change other things in your tune it may shift a little. I just always copy my MAF correction over in every tune itteration. Once your below 5% it doesn't seem to have any negative effects.
    Thanks Ben, learning new stuff everyday. I get my mvpi2 in the mail tomorrow but I've been practicing vcm editor and scanner with random mustang tunes I've found on this forum.
    One more question, on Eric's 3V guide, he mentions that these motors make power around 31*. On mine its around 16* according to the MBT tables. He is also running 93 octane, I can only run 91 cause i live in California. How would I modify my tables to make the most power on 91 while not knocking or det? Which values on those tables should I change and are safe to change?
    Last edited by jakesmithpbr; 04-05-2020 at 02:54 PM.

2017-07-09.png
    heres the stock Borderline spark and MBT tables. One thing i'll mention is I've seen a 93 SCT tune's tables before and they looked very similar to my MBT tables, although it seemed like it was dumbed down a bit.
    Last edited by jakesmithpbr; 04-05-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    You would have to run it on a dyno or drag strip to figure out exactly where your MBT lies. Remember the MBT is only one part of the formula the ECM uses to determine actual spark at any given time. Also remember timing is just a number, an engine will want whatever it wants and that number is just a label... don't go chasing the highest possible timing.

You would have to run it on a dyno or drag strip to figure out exactly where your MBT lies. Remember the MBT is only one part of the formula the ECM uses to determine actual spark at any given time. Also remember timing is just a number, an engine will want whatever it wants and that number is just a label... don't go chasing the highest possible timing.
    Interesting, what are the key tables that I can mess with to get it dialed in? And yeah I need to figure out what times I'm going to be running. Its a very basic build right now just cold air and no cats or mufflers. I don't want to blow my motor up but also wanna go fast.

Here's my tune and scan. I did some 15 minute drives and copied some data over to airflow v voltage. Let me know whats wrong cause i know something is
    https://filebin.net/owi9tl4z9zdxii6p...hpt?t=ft8ixu03
    https://filebin.net/owi9tl4z9zdxii6p...hpl?t=ft8ixu03

Senior Tuner
    Add mass airflow volts to your channel list. There is a gear with a plus sign, and then you can use the search box to search for 'mass' and see if mass airflow volts is available.

Right click your graph section, and select graph lay out. Open the file im attaching, and it should populate the graph with what you can paste special % half into your airflow vs voltage table.

You will also want to disable LTFT under fuel> oxygen sensors. so that the only correction is from the short term fuel trims. You can enable them again once you have done a few logs with very small STFT's.

I would suggest start off in part, rev the engine to 1500RPM and hold it for 20 seconds or so, then rev it to 2000 and hold for 20 seconds, then 2500, then 3000, then 3500. The RPMs dont need to be exact, just rev it up a little and hold it as steady as possible.
    This should get you enough data to get the lower part of your airflow vs voltage close enough to drive with no issues. When you do go for a drive you will want to do the same thing, put it in high gear and give it 20% throttle and hold it there a few seconds, then 30%, then 40%, then 50 %, etc. This should get you dialed in further up in the voltage. Then you can go out and choose a gear like 3rd or 4th and do WOT pulls from 2500-4500, then 2500-5000, then 2500-5500, etc.

Once you get done with all that the curve should be really well dialed in, and you can start on spark.

STFT.Table.xml

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Add mass airflow volts to your channel list. There is a gear with a plus sign, and then you can use the search box to search for 'mass' and see if mass airflow volts is available.

Right click your graph section, and select graph lay out. Open the file im attaching, and it should populate the graph with what you can paste special % half into your airflow vs voltage table.

You will also want to disable LTFT under fuel> oxygen sensors. so that the only correction is from the short term fuel trims. You can enable them again once you have done a few logs with very small STFT's.

I would suggest start off in part, rev the engine to 1500RPM and hold it for 20 seconds or so, then rev it to 2000 and hold for 20 seconds, then 2500, then 3000, then 3500. The RPMs dont need to be exact, just rev it up a little and hold it as steady as possible.
    This should get you enough data to get the lower part of your airflow vs voltage close enough to drive with no issues. When you do go for a drive you will want to do the same thing, put it in high gear and give it 20% throttle and hold it there a few seconds, then 30%, then 40%, then 50 %, etc. This should get you dialed in further up in the voltage. Then you can go out and choose a gear like 3rd or 4th and do WOT pulls from 2500-4500, then 2500-5000, then 2500-5500, etc.

Once you get done with all that the curve should be really well dialed in, and you can start on spark.

STFT.Table.xml
    Sweet right on, just added it all to my scanner. Gonna put on my cai and do some logging in the morning. Will update you. Thanks

Still have no idea what to do about the timing though. Some threads say mess with the BLK table, some say mess with the mbt table, some say copy the mbt table to the blk table but i'm only running 91 octane. Other threads mention changing or copying the mbt corrections table so idk who to trust lol

Senior Tuner
    Until you MAF values have your fuel trims with in 2% everywhere, I would put -5 in the global adder, just to make sure its conservative. When the MAF is off it can make the load value lower that it really is and at low RPMs this can be a difference of 10*, putting you at a high risk of detonation.

Once you have you MAF values correct, you are going to be modifying the borderline table. If the spark makes it to the MBT value you are doing good. With the IMRC open, your MBT will allow 31-32* of timing, I don't think the borderline values will let you get much more than the low 20's.

You are tuning and you will get there, just take it slow, one step at a time, and be safe about it. Your fuel is the most important thing. Do you have a wideband ready to be hooked up to tune anything from 50% to WOT? Thats all going to be open loop, so no fuel trims.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-07-2020 at 02:03 AM.

Until you MAF values have your fuel trims with in 2% everywhere, I would put -5 in the global adder, just to make sure its conservative. When the MAF is off it can make the load value lower that it really is and at low RPMs this can be a difference of 10*, putting you at a high risk of detonation.

Once you have you MAF values correct, you are going to be modifying the borderline table. If the spark makes it to the MBT value you are doing good. With the IMRC open, your MBT will allow 31-32* of timing, I don't think the borderline values will let you get much more than the low 20's.

You are tuning and you will get there, just take it slow, one step at a time, and be safe about it. Your fuel is the most important thing. Do you have a wideband ready to be hooked up to tune anything from 50% to WOT? Thats all going to be open loop, so no fuel trims.
    Alright just input -5 to my global adder and wrote the tune. Once I get my stft all sorted out should I change the global adder to 0* again? Also, what consists of modifying the borderline table? And I don't have a wideband yet, I'm going to look up some right now. Would look pretty sick to have an af gauge in the stang
    thanks for all the advice by the way I'm learning a ton

Advanced Tuner
    Make sure you read up on the AFR gauge before you buy, you need data log capabilities and people have had a bad time with AEM.

Make sure you read up on the AFR gauge before you buy, you need data log capabilities and people have had a bad time with AEM.
    Not sure which one to get. Don't want to spend too much on it but also don't want a crappy one. There's a lot to choose from.

Also, I went on a cruise this morning, got my MAF almost all calibrated. Haven't fully calibrated WOT but heres the comparison between stock and now. Charging up the laptop, going to add 2* of spark so I'll be at -3 on the global adder. Once I have my MAF table all tidy, how should I approach timing or should I wait until I get an afr gauge?
    Thankstuned.PNGstock.PNG