Thread: Drive idle

Tuner in Training

Drive idle

Silverado 5.3 with a very mild cam has a nice idle in park/neutral idles at about 775 chops pretty much all the way to 1000 rpms but, no matter how low i drop the idle in drive it smooths out, i dont know what im missing. drive idle is at 725 ive dropped it to 650 and it did nothing but sound stupid
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why do you want it to have such extreme timing swing in drive?

The load on the engine is going to tame it down a bunch.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Im looking for more a chop in drive i was messing with the underspeed overspeed tables didnt do much i forgot to set them back and i was just wondering on how i can get to sound more aggressive because in park it chops like hell but in drive just sounds dead stock. i messed with the fuel it was pretty rich i got it down to -1 or 1, its not in that log but it didnt change anything either.
    Last edited by RobGChevy07; 04-02-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    it idles tame in gear because with load the cam isn't big enough to upset the engines ability to idle.

making it excessively rich and running very low idle timing in gear will achieve the instability you require for the idle you want. but its not correct and wont be ideal for the engine.

if you want chopped idle in drive, fit a bigger camshaft and a high stall converter

Tuner in Training
    Ah i dont think ill go bigger its my daily i have a project truck just thought maybe i can get some more sound out of the daily. If i put a bigger stall the 4l60e will probably poop its self but thanks anyways!