Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torque Control Issues - Supercharged '16 GT

Alright so the dots are slowly connecting. It seems like adjusting the TRQ tables will adjust the Scheduled TRQ. Now after looking at the logs (for the millionth time) I think I've noticed a pattern. It seems as if whenever the Eng Ind TRQ exceeds the Scheduled TRQ it flips into Torque Control. So my question is, does anybody know what determines the Eng Ind TRQ? ETC TRQ Request seems to be derived from the Driver Demand tables which also makes sense. The last torque I monitor is Engine Brake Trq. Can't figure out what that is yet.

Raising the Driver Demand tables didn't seem to do much yet. Maybe because it was only 10 ft-lb. I will try more

Others may disagree but driver demand is pedal feel, I don’t jack with it to fix underlying problems elsewhere. I hooked up a physical Map sensor and logged versus inferred and found the Whipple cal was way off, and they hacked up other areas of the cal trying to resolve it. Even when I had removed IPC error the car ran poorly until I went back to basics and fixed basic air mass calcs. This meant almost starting over. I removed all unnecessary and nonsensical compensations whipple made, then confirmed MAF, then made SD within a couple percent for all mapped points. Once I had confidence and accurate airmass numbers the hacks to torque tables etc then became more obvious. But if your trying to fix torque issues, and your not 100 percent on injector data, fuel pressure, and airmass - your just pissing in the wind.

In my case a couple percentage point difference in Torque can create or remove very large IPC errors. I would not recommend 20 percent swings except possibly at the lowest area. A 3lb difference in my car is the difference between a smooth idle and takeoff, and a idle that seeks, hangs, retards timing to the point it raises head temps, and jerks transitioning into the next mapped point. All torque tables must rhyme, you don’t want a torque request to either open or close throttle quickly as your mapped points, and valve timing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by superman07 View Post
    Others may disagree but driver demand is pedal feel, I don’t jack with it to fix underlying problems elsewhere. I hooked up a physical Map sensor and logged versus inferred and found the Whipple cal was way off, and they hacked up other areas of the cal trying to resolve it. Even when I had removed IPC error the car ran poorly until I went back to basics and fixed basic air mass calcs. This meant almost starting over. I removed all unnecessary and nonsensical compensations whipple made, then confirmed MAF, then made SD within a couple percent for all mapped points. Once I had confidence and accurate airmass numbers the hacks to torque tables etc then became more obvious. But if your trying to fix torque issues, and your not 100 percent on injector data, fuel pressure, and airmass - your just pissing in the wind.

In my case a couple percentage point difference in Torque can create or remove very large IPC errors. I would not recommend 20 percent swings except possibly at the lowest area. A 3lb difference in my car is the difference between a smooth idle and takeoff, and a idle that seeks, hangs, retards timing to the point it raises head temps, and jerks transitioning into the next mapped point. All torque tables must rhyme, you don’t want a torque request to either open or close throttle quickly as your mapped points, and valve timing changes.
    Alright I have not made any progress so far adjusting the Driver Demand tables. Maybe I'll go back and make some fine adjustments to the Torque tables. I was shocked a difference in 3 ft-lb would cause it to lose idle.

What changes did you make to dial in SD?

Alright so I've been taking a look at my desired airmass vs my current airmass. I can see that depart from each other when I start having Torque Control kick in. I also noticed that at WOT they depart as well. From what I understand the desired airmass is controlled via the inverse torque tables. This made me wonder if I was using the inverse table calculator incorrectly. When I first open up the inverse calculator the "Calculate Inverse" field is grayed out:

Inverse Calc 1.PNG

Only when I manually change a number (has to be different) does it allow me the calculate the inverse:

Inverse Calc 2.PNG

Is this how it is supposed to work?

Tuner
    Yes. If you change your torque tables in the calculator you can immediately calculate your inverse tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Yes. If you change your torque tables in the calculator you can immediately calculate your inverse tables.
    Alright I guess my concern is that I have to change a number in the window to get it to calculate the inverse even if I've already changed the Torque tables before opening up the inverse calculator. Why would I need to change it again?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JFiorito View Post
    Alright I guess my concern is that I have to change a number in the window to get it to calculate the inverse even if I've already changed the Torque tables before opening up the inverse calculator. Why would I need to change it again?
    That's because you are adding unnecessary steps to the process. Change it all inside of the calculator instead of changing before you open the calculator. Press the calculate inverse button. Then it works properly!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Alright that makes sense. So I've been getting my ass kicked by this issue for a long time now. I feel like I've tried adjusting everything by now. Only thing I haven't messed around with much is the Maximum Torque

Max Torque.PNG

Is this the torque value that is being exceeded when it flips into Torque Control mode? Also, what are the "2A, 3A, and B". I'm guessing the OP in front of those down below are for optimum power mode, but I can't figure out what the 2, 3, and B mean. Anyone know?