Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    guys check out VFtuner its similar license system and lots of maps
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    guys check out VFtuner its similar license system and lots of maps
    I have vFTuner. Extremely limited 4runner support at the moment. More coming, but unknown when, and there's no 2020+ support yet. Toyota updated the 4runner to gen2 ecu version and changed security protocols for it, can't even be bench-read anymore. Meaning cuw file is probably the only way now to get tune support.

With vFTuner I've successfully tuned 2016 4wd 4r's though, with the OVTune tune pack. Update the trucks from 35F50 to 35F51 and then tune.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mZig View Post
    I have vFTuner. Extremely limited 4runner support at the moment. More coming, but unknown when, and there's no 2020+ support yet. Toyota updated the 4runner to gen2 ecu version and changed security protocols for it, can't even be bench-read anymore. Meaning cuw file is probably the only way now to get tune support.

With vFTuner I've successfully tuned 2016 4wd 4r's though, with the OVTune tune pack. Update the trucks from 35F50 to 35F51 and then tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDSM View Post
    There are some 5th Gen 4Runner support available. I?ve tuned two to date. Engine Calibration only, transmission control isn?t (yet?) available.
    Hey JustDSM and mZig, I'd love to hear more about your experience tuning the 5th gen 4runner.

1. Are there meaningful power and/or economy gains available for someone running premium gas?
    2. What tables/settings did you find most beneficial?
    3. Have either of you considered selling tunes for these trucks?

Thanks!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtwyne View Post
    Hey JustDSM and mZig, I'd love to hear more about your experience tuning the 5th gen 4runner.

1. Are there meaningful power and/or economy gains available for someone running premium gas?

Thanks!
    Hold on, gotta retype everything now lol posted a reply and then went to make an edit to a typo and it deleted the post. Ugh.

Potential Tuner

Thanks!
    1. Yes. More power available down low where the 5th gen needs it (butt dyno, haven't actually dyno'd myself). Fuel economy has a lot of variables but for example, my business partner is testing a tune right now on his 2012 SR5 and seeing 20.1mpg average with extra weight from some armor on his truck. Reports it driving extremely smooth as well. But driving style comes into play too. The 2016-17 guys that I've flashed report 16-17mpg averages. One is pretty close to stock, the other has a bit of weight and a lift on his truck. So there's a wide spectrum there that makes it hard to definitively state "you will see great fuel economy). But that's true for any vehicle really, too many variables.

We intend to test premium fuel ourselves but some other guys that I'm talking with have great things to report on their own trucks with premium fuel, including increased smoothness (to be expected to a degree).

2. Playing around with accelerator airload is a good place to start. Increasing throttle limits to give the driver more control and access to the full percentage of throttle available is always solid too, and raising rpm limit and fuel cutoffs. Some of us are playing with ignition/timing changes while monitoring.

3. Yes, my partner and I are working on developing a tune to sell/offer, both via local flash service and via remote sale. We are the original owners/creators of the Coyoza_Tuning brand and the custom Coyoza tune for the 6MT 3rd gen Tacoma, which quickly became the named "go to" tune for the 3rd gen manual trans Tacomas. Recently a competitor acquired Coyoza (the brand and the custom MT tune) so that they didn't have to do the R&D on their own MT tune option, to capitalize on the popularity and success of the Coyoza option. This tune used an OVTune tune as the foundation and improved upon it from there (VFTuner allows this).

Moving forward, we will rebrand under a new name and intend to offer a great tune for the 5th gen 4runner guys.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info mZig! Couple thoughts and questions:

1. Do you think the mpg difference between the 2012 and the 2016/2017s is primarily due to differences in driving style and environmental factors like elevation, etc? Or have you seen any indication that there is some mechanical difference that could bias the early gen 5s to get better economy?

2. Please do explore ignition and valve timing if you're able! Matt (OVTune) wrote an article in 2018 stating that those settings were extremely conservative. The article is primarily aimed at forced induction but comments a good deal on N/A settings as well. It also mentions the TRD supercharger tune having expanded tables. Are you seeing that in the new OVTune tune pack files? I like that VFTune offers not only edit ability for existing tables, but the opportunity to expand tables and enhance tune "resolution", if that makes sense?

3. I've heard good things about the Coyoza tune. Well done! Looking forward to what y'all come up with for the 1GR-FE.

4. I currently run the Vivid Racing stage 1 tune with 91 octane in Denver. Unfortunately they are very cagey about what changes they made, but the accelerator pedal is definitely more sensitive and it holds higher gears better/longer when climbing grades. Highway mpg averages 20, 17ish in town. That's with a 2" lift, 265/70r17 ATs, and no additional mod weight.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info mZig! Couple thoughts and questions:

1. Do you think the mpg difference between the 2012 and the 2016/2017s is primarily due to differences in driving style and environmental factors like elevation, etc? Or have you seen any indication that there is some mechanical difference that could bias the early gen 5s to get better economy?

2. Please do explore ignition and valve timing if you're able! Matt (OVTune) wrote an article in 2018 stating that those settings were extremely conservative. The article is primarily aimed at forced induction but comments a good deal on N/A settings as well. It also mentions the TRD supercharger tune having expanded tables. Are you seeing that in the new OVTune tune pack files? I like that VFTune offers not only edit ability for existing tables, but the opportunity to expand tables and enhance tune "resolution", if that makes sense?

3. I've heard good things about the Coyoza tune. Well done! Looking forward to what y'all come up with for the 1GR-FE.

4. I currently run the Vivid Racing stage 1 tune with 91 octane in Denver. Unfortunately they are very cagey about what changes they made, but the accelerator pedal is definitely more sensitive and it holds higher gears better/longer when climbing grades. Highway mpg averages 20, 17ish in town. That's with a 2" lift, 265/70r17 ATs, and no additional mod weight.
    1. I'm thinking it's most driving style differences, but I haven't done any specific tests on that or particularly focused on getting reviews of driving habits for fuel economy to really say definitively what's going on there with such a large discrepancy between those model years. To my knowledge, there's no mechanical differences and when viewed in vF, the ECU versions have the same tables and so far the tables I've focused on have the same values too. The 2016-18 4wd model has a couple extra tables available in vFTuner than the earlier MY, but nothing that wouldn't affect performance like that.

2. We're not professional tuners by trade, this is something we got into on the side as our careers are in the medical field, but we're always learning and getting better. So I can say with confidence that we don't intend to push the envelope terribly far WRT ignition and timing until we feel comfortable there and will not be creating/releasing anything unsafe. At minimum we'll be going in small increments and logging in Techstream to monitor knock without a doubt. VFTuner's logger is nice too. Our priority isn't going to be power, but drivability. A lot of 4runner owners are happy with their trucks and just want a smoother driving experience along with increased throttle response. So a custom tune that we develop with any additional power may be targeted more or less for people who drive aggressively or have lots of added weight in the form of bumpers and other armor, heavy tires, RTTs and other gear, etc.

3. Thank you!

4. What model year are you? And those numbers are still pretty good, very cool. But yeah, historically VR holds their info pretty close to the heart, although I suppose most people/companies do.

Right now we're testing some throttle mapping changes that were part of what made our Coyoza MT tune so popular. Consistent throttle delivery, predictable. Increased responsiveness that remained easy to modulate. Worked out really well over there on the 3GT.

Just plugged my '15 in to check for codes, and decided to Try and read the file again.
    Seems to be working. No trans options, but it has fuel/air/cam/timing and some other things atm.

Pretty stoked !
    Last edited by mememe123; 08-19-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Potential Tuner
    You pulled the stock file, read it out? With what software? Or did you already have the file with tuning support available?

So, no. I plugged it in, and HPT downloaded a stock 4runner file from their database, and said that it's a good to use file. I have not messed with it much, since I did not want to license it yet.

Potential Tuner
    Ah okay.

Bump for 20-21 Support. Pulled my ECU and sent photo's to tuner's at procharger who are working with Devs at HP Tuner to try to get a crack on this Gen 2 ECU. After calling every tuner in the west coast, I found a guy who says he has a connection to someone who can crack the ECU. I will let yall know if it turns up anything promising. I am on a war path to get this figured out. Happy to donate the ECU to the cause Nothing like buying a product, and being restricted by the manufacturer. It's a very tesla-esque move to "lock" technology and prevent you from modifying something that they happily collected your money for. I know it's not a new practice but it seems to be getting worse the more tech goes into these cars

hi file 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by Ttmerc View Post
    Not sure if this helps the HP Tuners team but here is a 2020 4runner File direct from TIS. Its a full ECU file in their format but can be converted to a .bin file. This file deletes the safety systems for aftermarket items like lift tires etc. Not sure what is all turned off from the original flash. I cant find the Original file on TIS, hope it helps!

Edit NVM wont let me upload the .CUW file. what email can I send it to?
    hello. It's nice to say hello. i am looking for a 4runner 2020 file in .bin it is 89663-35D70. you'll have it?

[email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by obd2toolsvenezuela View Post
    hello. It's nice to say hello. i am looking for a 4runner 2020 file in .bin it is 89663-35D70. you'll have it?

[email protected]
    Hello, why do you need the bin file?

I remember that you've already reached out to our (YotaWerx Tuning) Instagram page, we can help get you tuned with VFTuner since we have 2020+ 4R tuning support ready to go. You spoke with my business partner last night

Tuner
    Unfortunately, HPTuners is not yet available for the 2020 and newer 4Runners. However there is an option. We just finished up a 2021 this weekend.

OTT_T4R_All_Peak_SAE5.jpg

https://overlandtailor.com/remote-tuning

Potential Tuner
    I just send you an email sir. Let me know the process for tuning thanks.